The Student Room Group

Don't have enough to fund me during the summer holidays

Hi,
My student finance was last paid in April 2019, supposedly supposed to be enough to cover students throughout the summer holidays. At this current moment, I only have a job that took me 8 months to find, it only pays £10 a week for 1 hour of work. I don't have any other form of money being paid into my account.

I don't want to go into my arranged overdraft because it's only valid for 31 days maximum so it would only cover me for half the holidays. I also don't want to keep borrowing money from my friends because that means more of an impact on my next finance in September. Can't apply for my university's hardship fund because technically I'm not a student until I enroll.
I don't know what to do. I can't get another job, as most jobs don't employ students just for the holidays.
Thank you for your time
Erica
Original post by EJC001
Hi,
My student finance was last paid in April 2019, supposedly supposed to be enough to cover students throughout the summer holidays. At this current moment, I only have a job that took me 8 months to find, it only pays £10 a week for 1 hour of work. I don't have any other form of money being paid into my account.

I don't want to go into my arranged overdraft because it's only valid for 31 days maximum so it would only cover me for half the holidays. I also don't want to keep borrowing money from my friends because that means more of an impact on my next finance in September. Can't apply for my university's hardship fund because technically I'm not a student until I enroll.
I don't know what to do. I can't get another job, as most jobs don't employ students just for the holidays.
Thank you for your time
Erica

£10 a week for 1 hours work? That's hardly a job.

Plenty of places hire students just for the holidays. Ask around, hand in your CV into shops.

Have some hustle!
Find a real job and put some graft in.
Lie on your application, don’t say you only there for the holidays.
For my case I almost lied but they obviously realised I was way qualified interms of education but they still took me on parttime approx 350 pw
Reply 4
I'm not lieing on my application just to get a job. And I have tried so many places last year. Coffee Shops, retail assistants, etc no one would take me.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by EJC001
I'm not lieing on my application just to get a job. And I have tried so many places last year. Coffee Shops, retail assistants, etc no one would take me.

Do you have any experience? If not, they may not be willing to take on someone who needs lots of training only for them to leave shortly after.
Reply 6
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Do you have any experience? If not, they may not be willing to take on someone who needs lots of training only for them to leave shortly after.

I have four years customer service working on a market stall. Most of the time I was looking for a job, it was because I hadn't actually worked in a shop therefore not sure if my experience counts
Original post by EJC001
I have four years customer service working on a market stall. Most of the time I was looking for a job, it was because I hadn't actually worked in a shop therefore not sure if my experience counts

It might be that market stall work is too 'informal' for them - they might want someone who already knows how to work a till and the security aspects of shop-working.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending