Is oxford right for me? Watch

Anna191817
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m making my ucas application in a few month’s time and I always find myself toying with the idea of applying to Oxford. I really want to go study medicine there but I’m naturally an anxious person and prone to panic attacks. Being away for 6 years under immense academic pressure makes me worried that I’ll drop out or have a nervous breakdown or something 😂. Is this something I should consider when applying to Oxford? Everyone says I should since I got 12 9’s at gcse. If I won’t apply I’ll regret it but I still don’t know if it’s right for me.
Last edited by Anna191817; 1 month ago
username3731912
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How about you apply and see if you get an offer? Then you can consider it, but there’s no harm in applying and no reason you shouldn’t.
Mila92h
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oxford is among the few universities that would be a right choice for every student
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
the important thing is to qualify as a doctor. you can do that at plenty of far less intense universities in this country and abroad. if you deal badly with stress then you should not load up with maximum stress.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If it accepts you it is right... trust me.
Justanotheranon6
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anna191817)
I’m making my ucas application in a few month’s time and I always find myself toying with the idea of applying to Oxford. I really want to go study medicine there but I’m naturally an anxious person and prone to panic attacks. Being away for 6 years under immense academic pressure makes me worried that I’ll drop out or have a nervous breakdown or something 😂. Is this something I should consider when applying to Oxford? Everyone says I should since I got 12 9’s at gcse. If I won’t apply I’ll regret it but I still don’t know if it’s right for me.
Just apply. Don’t worry too much about the workload until you know if you’ve even got an interview.

To be honest, whatever uni u go to, medicine is going to be a really hard degree. If I were u, I’d consider whether doing medicine is the right career choice. If u really love medicine, go for it. If ur only doing it because of pressure, maybe reconsider- not only would u be taking on a really hard and stressful degree, but after that a really hard and stressful career.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Given you can only apply to 4 medical schools and that around 25% of medicine applicants get no offers first time round, you are wise to be asking this question. Personally, if you are prone to panic attacks, I would echo the sound advice given by the bear above :yes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (71)
14.29%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (76)
15.29%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (94)
18.91%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (197)
39.64%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (26)
5.23%
No particular grades needed (33)
6.64%