Heart rate, how low is too low? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I think this is other people getting worried more than anything else. I've always thought as long as you're still alive then a low heart rate isnt an issue. Basically a week or two ago I wandered past this stand where they were doing free blood pressure tests so out of curiosity did it I was 130 something over 70 something which the nurse said was fine. My pulse rate was 37 bpm, she didnt say anything other than "you must do a lot of cardio". I walked away quite proud but told a couple of my friends and they seemed to think it was too low.

I've measured it a few times both using an app on my phone and doing the old fashioned fine a pulse and counting. It always comes out between 34 and 44 when I've been sitting down for more than 15 minutes.

Dr google says that 60bpm is normal but athletes could expect to be around 40bpm. I'm well into the 30s regularly. I would regard myself as physically fit but not as an elite athlete or anything. I do about 30 miles a week running and mix it up between road and fell running so I'm very active however in comparison to people at my running club im abovr average in terms of fitness and speed but way off the best people. I'm not even the fittest I've ever been as im coming back from a 6 month period of not running regularly and carrying about 3 or 4 pounds more than I'd like to be.

So my question is, is this something I should be worried about or is it fine considering I dont have any noticable symptoms? For info I am a mid 20s male 5'10 and 80kg.
pbw
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd worry if it reaches zero
jem_13
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't worry. You may just have a naturally low heart rate. I have naturally low blood pressure and am fine. However if it is really worrying you then see a doctor, to put your mind at rest
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
keptinside
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
See a doctor
Shish_bish
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I think this is other people getting worried more than anything else. I've always thought as long as you're still alive then a low heart rate isnt an issue. Basically a week or two ago I wandered past this stand where they were doing free blood pressure tests so out of curiosity did it I was 130 something over 70 something which the nurse said was fine. My pulse rate was 37 bpm, she didnt say anything other than "you must do a lot of cardio". I walked away quite proud but told a couple of my friends and they seemed to think it was too low.

I've measured it a few times both using an app on my phone and doing the old fashioned fine a pulse and counting. It always comes out between 34 and 44 when I've been sitting down for more than 15 minutes.

Dr google says that 60bpm is normal but athletes could expect to be around 40bpm. I'm well into the 30s regularly. I would regard myself as physically fit but not as an elite athlete or anything. I do about 30 miles a week running and mix it up between road and fell running so I'm very active however in comparison to people at my running club im abovr average in terms of fitness and speed but way off the best people. I'm not even the fittest I've ever been as im coming back from a 6 month period of not running regularly and carrying about 3 or 4 pounds more than I'd like to be.

So my question is, is this something I should be worried about or is it fine considering I dont have any noticable symptoms? For info I am a mid 20s male 5'10 and 80kg.
I have read a number of articles of athletes and anorexics who have died because they had a very low resting heart, I did the research because I was worried for myself too.

Yeas at 37 you should be worried, lower your cardio a bit
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

*Not personalised medical advice*

In a normal rhythm, there is no evidence that a very low heart rate is harmful.

The relationship between heart rate and fitness is not purely linear. Someone with a heart rate of 35 is not necessarily fitter than someone with a heart rate of 50. There are other factors involved.

The most worrying signs for someone with a low heart rate would be episodes of dizziness, collapse, or chest pain, or someone with any family history of sudden, potentially unexplained death.

In general, if becoming a professional/high level athlete, a medical workup is probably advisable.

If a patient with a heart rate of <40 turns up to a GP to request investigation, the first step would be a simple ECG. This can rule out some more worrying inherited disorders (but not all) and look for evidence of HCM (but not the best test). Possibly some simple blood tests too, depending on the GP. There aren't really any guidelines on how to approach this when there are absolutely no symptoms or history, so their investigation will likely depend on your level of concern.
username4878202
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Get checked sure but I will say that a 40 bpm isn't that unsuall for someone active. I used to be involved in a lot of sports when I was a bit younger mine was around 40 to late 30s too so long as ur blood pessure is good u are fine.
Last edited by username4878202; 1 month ago
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Given you don't have any symptoms (I assume anyway) it is probably nothing to worry about but that said, it is worth checking in with GP to be sure. It may be that they want to check some things out to make sure everyhting is okay (especially if you're looking into doing more exercise which could lead to it getting even lower or putting strain on a potentially confused heart) or it may just mean they can make a note that your HR is regularly low so it doesn't cause confusion if you ever go in cos you're feeling unwell.
If you do ever find yourself feeling tired, dizzy, odd temperature etc it is worth mentioning that along with your low HR.
Just make an appointment, get it checked out and you'll either end up with an all clear which is great to know or with information that could possibly stop you from getting unwell. Win win really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.71%
Excited (151)
9.01%
Worried (303)
18.08%
Terrified (375)
22.37%
Meh (155)
9.25%
Confused (37)
2.21%