The Student Room Group

help! Will college still let me in if I fail maths gcse?

Hi, I’ve just sat my gcses, and have my offer at college to do chemistry biology and politics. I meet all the requirements to get into the courses and have been offered a place and am targeted 9s in everything which I hope to get... but:

I’m not good at maths so wanted a 7, and to do two sciences at a level my college requires a level 6, or 5 for one. I would’ve got this but I was violently sick due to illness in 2 of my maths GCSEs and so I underperformed massively and won’t have got the 6 that I need.

The exams officer says she applied me for special considerations but it’ll only compensate me 1% of my achieved marks.

If I get all level 8s and 9s in my other subjects and only a level 4 in my maths (because of illness) will my college still let me in to do my a levels?
GCSEs are not the most important thing when applying for uni so just relax. Although, failing any subject does not look good. On the bring side, you still have a year and a bit until you apply for uni. So just retake the maths exam next year and be prepared.

Best of luck and try not to worry too much.

Quick Reply

Latest