GCSE/Year 11 advice 2020- Dear Year 10s Watch

Littlegeekgirl_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SaffyyB)
How did your results go?xx
Just posted them! Check the top of the thread!

RyanC_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Littlegeekgirl_)
On the 22nd I will come back here and tell you guys my grades xxx
English Literature- 9
English language- 9
Maths- 7
Science- 76
Rs- 9
History- 8 (1 mark off 9- getting remarked)
Business- 8 (1 mark off 9- getting remarked)
French- 7
Drama- 6
So proud, especially since I got one of the highest grades in my whole school
I will now be doing A levels in English literature, Sociology and History
Omg these are amazing grades, congrats! :^_^: Your advice clearly works!
Littlegeekgirl_
Rep:
?
(Original post by RyanC_)
Omg these are amazing grades, congrats! :^_^: Your advice clearly works!
Thank you!
LucyOr15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
English Literature- 9
English language- 9
Maths- 7
Science- 76
Rs- 9
French- 7
Drama- 6
So proud, especially since I got one of the highest grades in my whole school and beat my target grades in everything
This is amazing
SaffyyB
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Just posted them! Check the top of the thread!
Omg you're results are amazing! You should be very proud of yourself you deserve it xx
BrandonSHlow
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
English Literature- 9
English language- 9
Maths- 7
Science- 76
Rs- 9
French- 7
Drama- 6
So proud, especially since I got one of the highest grades in my whole school and beat my target grades in everything
Can you give and send me help for English Literature. I going to year 11, and the books I do are Mice and Men, Inspector Calls and Romeo and Juliet
Carly_006
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
English Literature- 9
English language- 9
Maths- 7
Science- 76
Rs- 9
French- 7
Drama- 6
Any advice for drama gcse??
Loganrain
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Don’t make food your motivation 🍕🍟🍔🥚
Msbrownie.xo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Loganrain)
Don’t make food your motivation 🍕🍟🍔🥚
lol why not
Loganrain
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Msbrownie.xo)
lol why not
Cos you’ll eat loads like I did
Holly jade
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This was insanely helpful! Thank you
Littlegeekgirl_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Carly_006)
Any advice for drama gcse??
(I did Eduquas/WJEC)- but this should still apply if you do another board.
Make sure your acting is at a very high level, keep asking your teacher how you can improve. For the devising section make sure you include as many techniques relating to your practitioner as you can, have a creative storyline, always write notes after you change an idea so that the evaluation is accurate, and constantly practice. For the script work learn your lines as quick as possible so the rest of the time can be spent on blocking, perfecting and movements/expressions. Attend every rehearsal!! For the written exam re-read the text (not to remember but just to be familiar with since it is an open book exam) and what I did was make flashcards summarising each character and chapter. When writing the exam always answer as though you are the director instead of the actor (this is a common mistake), make sure you describe in great detail the costume, where the actors are, the staging type ect. For the live theatre review question I made mindmaps on each segment (lighting, voice, sound, ect...) and plan 3/4 paragraphs for each. Make sure you learn all the key terminology (tempo, pitch, roll on the wall ect...) and all the staging types.
__abdullahahmed
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(I did Eduquas/WJEC)- but this should still apply if you do another board.
Make sure your acting is at a very high level, keep asking your teacher how you can improve. For the devising section make sure you include as many techniques relating to your practitioner as you can, have a creative storyline, always write notes after you change an idea so that the evaluation is accurate, and constantly practice. For the script work learn your lines as quick as possible so the rest of the time can be spent on blocking, perfecting and movements/expressions. Attend every rehearsal!! For the written exam re-read the text (not to remember but just to be familiar with since it is an open book exam) and what I did was make flashcards summarising each character and chapter. When writing the exam always answer as though you are the director instead of the actor (this is a common mistake), make sure you describe in great detail the costume, where the actors are, the staging type ect. For the live theatre review question I made mindmaps on each segment (lighting, voice, sound, ect...) and plan 3/4 paragraphs for each. Make sure you learn all the key terminology (tempo, pitch, roll on the wall ect...) and all the staging types.
Hey! Congratulations on your results! I’ve read your advice about 100 times I love it so much, I just wanted to ask, do you have any advice for each subject your doing? Because I’m doing the exact same but I’m not doing business or drama and I’m doing triple science! Appreciated❤️
Littlegeekgirl_
Rep:
?
(Original post by __abdullahahmed)
Hey! Congratulations on your results! I’ve read your advice about 100 times I love it so much, I just wanted to ask, do you have any advice for each subject your doing? Because I’m doing the exact same but I’m not doing business or drama and I’m doing triple science! Appreciated❤️
I’m glad my advice has helped!
English
Hello, glad my post helped! First of all I would say the main way to transform your grades (especially for English language) is to read for pleasure. This way you are exposed to more and have a greater vocabulary. All I did for English language was watch Mr Salles videos and made flashcards on what he said as well as past papers. For english literature I made posters on every theme and character with 4 segments. Segment 1 was an introduction paragraph explaining their role in the text, why the writer used them and their significance. The three other segments were three different quotes about this character/ theme. Each quote was thoroughly analysed using the acnorym SLRCAVE meaning S- Statement L- link to rest of play C- context A- alternative opinion V- viewer response E- evaluate how successful the writer was. This meant that when I walked into the exam hall I had an introduction paragraph and 3 well analysed quote for each theme and character. So in the exam I just had to think of a conclusion. This is all I did for literature and found it worked very well. Also, don’t forget to read the books over and over. For poetry I made flashcards for each theme with three poems. It is important to do three poems for each theme because eventhough in the exam you only compare 2, you don’t know which poem they will give you. On the front of the flashcard I made a short paragraph of the context of the poem then on the back I had 3 quotes for each poem analysed, a paragraph about form/structure. A good website for the poems is Genius. It is a song lyric website but has all the poems with detailed analysis. For unseen poetry constantly practice. At my school I did love and relationships so to practice for unseen I analysed all of power and conflict. This is because they are poems already set by the exam board at a level they think is suitable. After that I bought the CGP unseen poetry workbook and worked through most of the poems.

Maths
I mentioned everything I did on my original post

Science
Flashcards on the whole revision guide, mindmaps on the whole revision guide, Primrose kitten for the whole paper videos, free science lessons on topics you don’t understand, physicsandmathstutor a website with questions for each topic

RS
Flashcards on the whole textbook, learn key words, learn quotes, practice questions

History
Honestly, I did way too much revision for history but just make sure you know each key dates and key statistics (Quizlet was what I used) to make your essay specific and make flashcards on how to answer each question

French
Learn vocab, make posters on each topic, listen to French podcasts, towards the end (April) I changed my phone to French. Once they are ready, make sure your speaking questions are learnt off by heart

If you want to see some of the revision I did I posted it on pinterest

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/littlegeekgirl_/s-t-u-d-y/my-revision-for-gcse/
Last edited by Littlegeekgirl_; 3 weeks ago
Littlegeekgirl_
Rep:
?
(Original post by SaffyyB)
Omg you're results are amazing! You should be very proud of yourself you deserve it xx
If you would like to check out some of my revision I have posted them on pinterest

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/littlege...sion-for-gcse/
Littlegeekgirl_
Rep:
?
@melmafia @_what @Hazzabear @Kroznox @SlightlySummer @samela786 @Msbrownie.xo @m2b @Ztormie @anticorn04 @xanx @Elle.c @newstudent2019 @_Amnaa @medicalsupernova @LucyOr15 @__abdullahahmed @RyanC_ @BrandonSHIow @Carly_006 @Loganrain @Holly Jade

Tagging you guys since you were here first to let you know that I have posted some of my revision on Pinterest

SaffyyB
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you would like to check out some of my revision I have posted them on pinterest

Thank you so much, I would have a look at it.xx
Littlegeekgirl_
Rep:
?
(Original post by SlightlySummer)
PRSOM, do tag me when you get your results! Thanks
So sorry I’m late, but I have now posted my results!
Khnz
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi,
thanks for the advice much needed, before going into year 11
Just one question u mentioned revising for English lit to learn 4 well analysed quotes alongside an introduction for each character and theme so that in the exam you know exactly what you are going to write. Which seems great way to revise, however please could u tell how to do this In a bit more detail, as im a bit struggling to understand. Thanks much appreciated.
Littlegeekgirl_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Khnz)
Hi,
thanks for the advice much needed, before going into year 11
Just one question u mentioned revising for English lit to learn 4 well analysed quotes alongside an introduction for each character and theme so that in the exam you know exactly what you are going to write. Which seems great way to revise, however please could u tell how to do this In a bit more detail, as im a bit struggling to understand. Thanks much appreciated.
So, on posters and flashcards I made mini mindmaps of each quote with notes coming off of it analysing the quote relating to the theme/character. I made sure I included key word analysis, context, alternative response, audience viewpoint and evaluate how successful the write was.
Here are some examples so you can see visually
Name:  DB5F7CF2-E5A0-4843-88D8-EDBF557F29CC.jpg.jpeg
Views: 21
Size:  55.5 KB
Name:  EC146B26-2BDC-4686-A65F-185E68A0C8D2.jpg.jpeg
Views: 23
Size:  30.1 KB

I have posted more of my revision:

X

Quick Reply