Are proposals for Oxbridge English MA allowed to be changed once you're accepted?

Watch
Qwerty1257
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm currently going into my third year of BA English at King's College London, and thinking of applying to do an MA at Oxbridge. (modern and contemporary literature) This course requires applicants to submit a 500 word proposal for a dissertation - I was just wondering whether once these are submitted (and if I am extended an offer) if I can change the topic of my dissertation to a completely different topic when I start the MA? Obviously this isn't the plan, but just for my knowledge since I'm not a hundred percent sure of my chosen topic

Thanks!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Qwerty1257)
I'm currently going into my third year of BA English at King's College London, and thinking of applying to do an MA at Oxbridge. (modern and contemporary literature) This course requires applicants to submit a 500 word proposal for a dissertation - I was just wondering whether once these are submitted (and if I am extended an offer) if I can change the topic of my dissertation to a completely different topic when I start the MA? Obviously this isn't the plan, but just for my knowledge since I'm not a hundred percent sure of my chosen topic

Thanks!
They usually get grumpy about a 100% change, because Supervisors/Tutors are allocated on the basis of academic interest. So switching from 'Shakespeare's use of the word 'maybe' to "An analysis of water descriptions in Ted Hughes 'Pike", might require a move from the Shakespearean tutor to Modern Poetry and they are already 'full'. However, less significant changes, like some other aspect of Shakespeare, is easily accommodated and quite common.
Qwerty1257
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks for getting back to me

Just had one more question - The Oxbridge websites for this course both state that the essay samples that we send in should be 'related to my proposed research' as outlined in a 500 word proposal for a dissertation. How related do they have to be? Can they simply be from a similar time period, or do the essays I submit have to be much more connected to my main dissertation idea than that?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads