The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Can I do it? KCL Law

I’ve just finished my GCSEs, awaiting my results on 22/08, which I honestly feel I didn’t try hard enough for, just a few months ago I was so much more childish and I feel I’ve matured so much now. I think I would’ve got ‘good’ grades but not the bestest which I could’ve easily got if I tried a bit harder. After meeting someone who is so dedicated to school education and getting into the best uni’s(who I would like to go to uni with), I want to work super hard for AS/A level and do the same. At sixth form I want to do Law, Psychology and Sociology. At uni I would like to do an LLB Law course, at the moment from research I’ve done I’d really like to go to KCL obviously I know I need AAA/A*AA and need to do an LNAT but do you think if I really got my head down for 2 years and tried my hardest I could do it? Everyone tells me As and A*s are really hard to achieve but I’ve actually already started learning some AS law I have notes on it (I’m bored and my sister gave me her old work) I don’t know if I’m just thinking if I try my hardest I can do it or a levels or a levels are going to be hard and I’m going to be disappointed in myself. I also emailed a local law firm to ask if I could volunteer. Does anyone else have any tips on what I could do to get places and the grades for unis such as KCL, UCL, LSE, Durham and Cambridge (I may be overthinking this all but i like to prepare and be ready) Thank you !!!!!
Reply 1
Oh yes, forgot to add I don’t live anywhere near London, I did grow up there then moved up north but I’ve always wanted to go back, so I’ll hahe to look at accommodation too !
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Hey there!!!!

I’m so surprised at your post because I feel EXACTLY THE SAME! I just finished my IGCSE’s and for some reason I don’t feel like I did as well as I could have and I’m so scared for the results. The uni’s you listed are the same ones which I’m aiming to get into however I fear that I’m far from reaching those goals at the moment. I suggest you just try to relax for now (I’m attempting to do the same) and wait for the results to come back then move forward from there. Whatever you didn’t do well on put more time into that and I’d also recommend you read some law books and see whether it’s the type of thing for you:smile:

Best of luck!
Original post by vg1234
I’ve just finished my GCSEs, awaiting my results on 22/08, which I honestly feel I didn’t try hard enough for, just a few months ago I was so much more childish and I feel I’ve matured so much now. I think I would’ve got ‘good’ grades but not the bestest which I could’ve easily got if I tried a bit harder. After meeting someone who is so dedicated to school education and getting into the best uni’s(who I would like to go to uni with), I want to work super hard for AS/A level and do the same. At sixth form I want to do Law, Psychology and Sociology. At uni I would like to do an LLB Law course, at the moment from research I’ve done I’d really like to go to KCL obviously I know I need AAA/A*AA and need to do an LNAT but do you think if I really got my head down for 2 years and tried my hardest I could do it? Everyone tells me As and A*s are really hard to achieve but I’ve actually already started learning some AS law I have notes on it (I’m bored and my sister gave me her old work) I don’t know if I’m just thinking if I try my hardest I can do it or a levels or a levels are going to be hard and I’m going to be disappointed in myself. I also emailed a local law firm to ask if I could volunteer. Does anyone else have any tips on what I could do to get places and the grades for unis such as KCL, UCL, LSE, Durham and Cambridge (I may be overthinking this all but i like to prepare and be ready) Thank you !!!!!

ngl your GCSEs won't matter too much. I did pretty poorly at GCSE, turned it around at A level and got offers from Warwick, KCL, Durham, York and QMUL (for CompSci but still relevant). Look at the posts on a forum I made a couple years back and it'll show someone who didn't get all A*s/As at GCSE getting into Cambridge law.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4465572
Reply 4
Ahhhh that’s so weird!! We are the same haha, what a levels are you thinking of doing? I’m sure you wouldn’t have done terrible for gcses, tbh we need above minimum grades and thank you I’ll look into law books!! Good luck
Original post by London090
Hey there!!!!

I’m so surprised at your post because I feel EXACTLY THE SAME! I just finished my IGCSE’s and for some reason I don’t feel like I did as well as I could have and I’m so scared for the results. The uni’s you listed are the same ones which I’m aiming to get into however I fear that I’m far from reaching those goals at the moment. I suggest you just try to relax for now (I’m attempting to do the same) and wait for the results to come back then move forward from there. Whatever you didn’t do well on put more time into that and I’d also recommend you read some law books and see whether it’s the type of thing for you:smile:

Best of luck!
Reply 5
Thank you so much, just curious which uni did you firm and are going to?
Original post by jumpman123
ngl your GCSEs won't matter too much. I did pretty poorly at GCSE, turned it around at A level and got offers from Warwick, KCL, Durham, York and QMUL (for CompSci but still relevant). Look at the posts on a forum I made a couple years back and it'll show someone who didn't get all A*s/As at GCSE getting into Cambridge law.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4465572
Hello! Of course you can do it, just focus and don't forget to breathe. You seem like a hard working person, give yourself some credit. Some advice from someone who did the Law undergraduate foundation (alternative to A levels, IB diploma) programme at King's and who's going to Durham for her undergraduate LLB this September: don't let fear, pressure and overthinking get in the way of your work. These things are out of your control. As long as you focus, work hard, relax and enjoy what you are doing, you will be fine. Note that the LNAT is something you cannot study for (this is the reason why I wasn't able to progress into the LLB in King's). No matter how hard you "study" for it, it ultimately depends on how the day is and the test you get. Just be content and find comfort in the idea that you are giving your best. I was devastated at first getting my results, but I recognised that I did everything that I could in my power and took pride in the work ethic and discipline I developed, which I know will ultimately pay off when I start working. You're doing great from what you've said. Breathe, focus, put in the work and you should be fine. Ultimately, don't forget to take care of yourself and to enjoy the process. Good luck x
Original post by vg1234
Reply 7
Thank you so much, you saying this is such a relief. So weird I live in Durham haha, well done on getting in and good luck for it! I think lnat being part of the application scared me because I can’t do anything about it but other than that I’m just going to focus and stay calm, thank you so much x
Original post by isabelle8
Hello! Of course you can do it, just focus and don't forget to breathe. You seem like a hard working person, give yourself some credit. Some advice from someone who did the Law undergraduate foundation (alternative to A levels, IB diploma) programme at King's and who's going to Durham for her undergraduate LLB this September: don't let fear, pressure and overthinking get in the way of your work. These things are out of your control. As long as you focus, work hard, relax and enjoy what you are doing, you will be fine. Note that the LNAT is something you cannot study for (this is the reason why I wasn't able to progress into the LLB in King's). No matter how hard you "study" for it, it ultimately depends on how the day is and the test you get. Just be content and find comfort in the idea that you are giving your best. I was devastated at first getting my results, but I recognised that I did everything that I could in my power and took pride in the work ethic and discipline I developed, which I know will ultimately pay off when I start working. You're doing great from what you've said. Breathe, focus, put in the work and you should be fine. Ultimately, don't forget to take care of yourself and to enjoy the process. Good luck x
You seem extremely prepared lol, relax, you'll probably excel as loads of people in your peer group will be flustered about what they will want to do, believe me.
GCSEs aren't important.

The minimum KCL Law requirements are A*AA not AAA/A*AA.

Just do well at A2 and in the LNAT.

Quick Reply

Latest