The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

@Murray Edwards Admissions
Hello there,

I hope your day is going well. I was just wondering when you receive students' A-Level results and what typically happens between then and results day. Will Adjustment be affecting any of this?
Original post by RussianQuestion
@Murray Edwards Admissions
Hello there,

I hope your day is going well. I was just wondering when you receive students' A-Level results and what typically happens between then and results day. Will Adjustment be affecting any of this?

Hello and good question. We normally receive the results on the weekend before A Levels, typically the Saturday, under strict embargo from UCAS. Some Colleges will process them over the weekend. Where I've worked, we always done it on the Monday. My team and I will go through all the results carefully, checking them against the conditions of the offers we made. All those who have made the offer are confirmed at UCAS and Track notifies the candidates on Thursday, plus they'll get a letter from us welcoming them to College.

For those who miss the offer the situation is more complicated. The Admissions Office notifies the Director of Studies (DoS) that there is a miss in their subject and the DoS will then come to discuss the case with the Admissions Tutor. Here, what happens next is discussions with the Senior Tutor and the Admissions Tutor about whether to relax conditions. Essentially, we have three options.

1) Relax the conditions immediately and process the decision before Thursday so the candidate finds out with all those who made the offer via Track first thing Thursday.

2) Reject them. We usually do this if the candidate has missed by some distance.

3) Wait until results day. We can then get more information on their results such as raw marks and make a decision then to accept, reject or place them in the summer pool.

Near misses are usually placed in the Summer Pool (and if you meet the typical entry offer for A Levels, Scottish Highers or IB for your course then the College has to place you in the SP), which occurs on Friday.

Adjustment will alter things this year as it will operate between results on Thursday and the opening of the SP on Friday for those people who have already been communicated with by Cambridge (and *only* them). I suspect it will mean that fewer students get taken through the SP (except in Maths), though one cannot be sure until it has happened.
Hello Medwards!

I'm a mature applicant, and will be applying for Cambridge this year (was serving in the military). Should I apply through the school using the buzzword or apply as an individual. Would I be at an disadvantage if I apply as an individual rather than through the school? I mean I can still apply through the school, but I do feel a little awkward asking them now. But if it is better to apply through the school, I will do so!

Thanks
You can do either, it won’t make a difference to us. You’ll need an academic reference though and your school are probably still the best people to provide this unless you’ve been studying since school.

Original post by tintin456
Hello Medwards!

I'm a mature applicant, and will be applying for Cambridge this year (was serving in the military). Should I apply through the school using the buzzword or apply as an individual. Would I be at an disadvantage if I apply as an individual rather than through the school? I mean I can still apply through the school, but I do feel a little awkward asking them now. But if it is better to apply through the school, I will do so!

Thanks
Hello Admissions,

I've done some research into the university's stance on resits, but I noticed that the information is more suited to the old modular A levels. Is it possible this will be revised for the new linear A levels as the full A level would need to be retaken?

If the rest of the application is strong like GCSEs, pre-interview assessment, new predictions, personal statement, is the chance of an interview still feasible? Also applying with eventuating circumstances to explain as to why

Would all subjects need to be retaken or just the ones that do not match the standard offer?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by sweetietweetie
Hello Admissions,

I've done some research into the university's stance on resits, but I noticed that the information is more suited to the old modular A levels. Is it possible this will be revised for the new linear A levels as the full A level would need to be retaken?

If the rest of the application is strong like GCSEs, pre-interview assessment, new predictions, personal statement, is the chance of an interview still feasible? Also applying with eventuating circumstances to explain as to why

Would all subjects need to be retaken or just the ones that do not match the standard offer?

Thanks in advance.

It is more unusual now to see students applying with resists in linear A Levels. It will usually happen with offer holders who missed with extenuating circumstances and then reapply to make up the one A level they missed on. It can happen also for post A Level candidates who didn't apply in year 13 or who did and were unsuccessful in January but there would need to be extenuating circumstances usually for such a candidate to be viable. Only subjects not matching the typical offer would need to be retaken.
Reply 7
Good afternoon, I am UK national but for the past 5 years living and studying in UK. I will be getting my Maturitätszeugnis (acceptable international qualification by Cambridge) in June 2020. As I understood from my School, provisonal grades I will get only in January 2020. May I ask in which format would you accept the information about my grades from Swiss gymnasium so that I apply and send those grades by 15th October 2019? Thank you very much in advance.
Original post by dxnilok
Good afternoon, I am UK national but for the past 5 years living and studying in UK. I will be getting my Maturitätszeugnis (acceptable international qualification by Cambridge) in June 2020. As I understood from my School, provisonal grades I will get only in January 2020. May I ask in which format would you accept the information about my grades from Swiss gymnasium so that I apply and send those grades by 15th October 2019? Thank you very much in advance.

We ask for a transcript from your school if you’ve been educated overseas. There’s information about it on the University website. Essentially we want information on your progress at school, particularly over the last two years and broken down by subject.
Reply 9
Hi! I’ce just finished Year 11 but with making A level decisions soon, I was wondering about choices. I would love to study a degree in Religiok and Theology or History, but I’m not 100% sure yet. At my school you can only do 3 A levels. I will definitely be doing History and Literature, but I’m not sure if Geography, Polotics or Philosophy would look best for the degrees I am looking at. I love all 3, it’s just making the decision. As I can’t seem to decide, which looks best from an Admissions point of view for Cambridge. Thank you x
Do you accept IAL Edexcel international A-levels?
Hello Admissions Team

I’ve heard of the winter pool where applicants are mostly re-interviewed by another College in January. What would happen to an international applicant who did their interview at overseas? Would they be required to be interviewed at Cambridge? If yes, would it affect their chances of getting an offer if they are unable to attend due to financial costs?
Original post by izzyd-c
Hi! I’ce just finished Year 11 but with making A level decisions soon, I was wondering about choices. I would love to study a degree in Religiok and Theology or History, but I’m not 100% sure yet. At my school you can only do 3 A levels. I will definitely be doing History and Literature, but I’m not sure if Geography, Polotics or Philosophy would look best for the degrees I am looking at. I love all 3, it’s just making the decision. As I can’t seem to decide, which looks best from an Admissions point of view for Cambridge. Thank you x

All three choices would be absolutely fine for either History or Theology so you have free rein to do the one you enjoy the most.
Reply 14
Thank you! I’ll keep looking into it.
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
All three choices would be absolutely fine for either History or Theology so you have free rein to do the one you enjoy the most.
Hi there,

How important is the college you apply for in terms of the likelihood that you get in. I for one am applying to do philosophy and was thinking of applying to magdalene, but they only accept one or two philosophy students per year. Are my chances of getting into Cambridge higher if I apply to a different a college?
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
Hello All and welcome to another Ask an Admissions Tutor Thread. If you have any questions about Admissions at Cambridge, whether you're a current offerholder or prospective applicant, please fire away. I'll be here for the next couple of weeks or so to help with any query.

Hi there,

Am hoping to apply for the MPhil in Egyptology to start in 2020. I have a decent 1st overall (73%+), and a 1st in 21/23 modules. However, one of the modules I didn't get a 1st in (I got 66) is relevant to one of the key modules I want to choose in the MPhil (to improve on my weakness in this area). Are specific module grades considered in the MPhil application, or does it come down to the overall undergraduate average?

Thanks!
hiya, if i got bad predicted grades/ grades not high enough for cambridge but good alevels, and went to a different university to cambridge, would i be able to transfer at any point
Hey, thank you so much for doing this!

I am applying for Computer Science at Cambridge this year for a 2020 start. This year I was doing Maths, Further Maths, CompSci and Physics but I knew I wanted to drop a subject for next year. I decided to drop physics as it was my worst end of year grade (we sat an internal AS exam). I ended up getting A*AAB, so it was not a bad grade but I also wanted to do a CompSci relevant EPQ instead, as well as get extra time to do some extra-curricular activities.

I am concerned if I made a mistake or not, as apparently Further Maths is not really seen as a full 3rd A levels by admissions?

Thank you,
Ross
Reply 19
Hi,

I am looking to apply for Medicine for 2020 entry. I believe have the required grades, work experience and hopefully interest but I am not sure how to prepare for an interview; should I be focussing on topics of research I raise in my personal statement or the general academic syllabus.

Also what is the typical offer made for Med students? Do students with more than 3 A-Levels have an advantage?

Thank you.

Latest

Trending

Trending