This discussion is closed.
Murray Edwards Admissions
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by qazpl)
No problem, thankyou anyway. Can you answer 2 and 3 please? (assuming these are the same across the university and I'm not asking you something I should be asking the matures lol)
2) 31 August is when I believe that you need to provide your financial guarantee.

3) Rent will vary from College to College and within Colleges but I think you'd could manage on around £8k, especially if you were able to work in the vacations. It's hard to be sure, though, as it's a long time since I was a student!
Rep:
?
(Original post by soma.mehmood)
Hi again I have a few more questions
I’m currently not doing any Law work experience because there isn’t many law firms in my area. Is this going to affect my application significantly? (How important is legal work experience?)
Also I’ve been accepted to a residential at Cambridge and will be going to one at Oxford soon too. Is this something that would be useful to mention on my personal statement?
Finally, if someone is rejected and applies again the next year having achieved the necessary grades A*AA for law. What is the likelihood of them being accepted?
No need to worry about work experience, it's not necessary. The course isn't about becoming a lawyer, it's about the Law.

Yes, it would be good to mention the residentials, especially what you got out of them - they are good evidence of 'super-curricular' activity.

If you reapply with A*AA your are statistically less likely to get in than someone applying in Year 13, who is statistically less likely to get in than someone applying with 2 or 3 A*s post-A level.
Rep:
?
(Original post by GreenCub)
Thanks. How do the admissions tutors assess how good an applicant is at maths? Is it mainly done through performance at interview, or are other things such as olympiads/competitions also taken into account in showing that they're good at it?

Also on that subject, would it be a disadvantage that I don't have any maths olympiads? I've heard that Cambridge can't place too much weight on them because not all candidates have the opportunity to take them, but would it reflect negatively if someone has taken them but hasn't done particularly well? I usually tend to do better on things like STEP than on olympiad questions.
Interview is important and many Colleges will also have a test for candidates to take when they come up for interview. Olympiads can also be useful indicators but aren't essential by any means. There is an understanding that olympiad questions and STEP questions are different and suit different people sometimes but the very best candidates are often good at both.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Presence)
hello x i have another question , for the personal statement would you have to define the things you learnt e.g optimisim bias or would it be ok to assume the tutor knows what the term means?
You can assume that we'll know subject-specific terms. If we don't, we can always ask you about them at interview!
Rep:
?
(Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie)
(This could potentially apply to people applying for undergrad too)
But if I was potentially on track to get a 2:1 (60-64% average) would that put me out of the running for a Postgraduate place?
Even with some modules and assignments proving to be high 70s marks?

What else goes into the consideration of applying for a postgraduate course?
You're very unlikely to get a postgraduate place with a 60-64% average. The two key things for securing a postgraduate offer are undergraduate record and strength of your references.
Rep:
?
(Original post by scienceyyy)
Hi,
I was looking at some stats on the cambridge website and I noticed that some of the colleges get a lot of applicants. I'm aspiring to study medicine at Cambridge university but I'm currently unsure of which college I want to go to. But I was just wondering, are my chances of getting into cambridge reduced if I apply to a more competitive college, for example King's college.
The way moderation works at Cambridge mitigates the fact that some colleges get more applicants than others.Your chances of getting into Cambridge are not materially affected by which College you choose.
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hola Presence, Hola Murray Edwards!

We concurr. Beyond the compulsory subjects, GCSE choices are best determined by dicsussions with your teachers. We recognise that the basket of GCSEs will reflect what can be timetabled at a particular school as well as reflecting the interests/skills of individual students.

Brasenose Admissions
(Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions)
Your A levels are perfectly fine for Economics at Cambridge and for either of the two economics routes at Oxford. You'll have to ask Oxford about what they think of subject choices at GCSE, for us, they aren't terribly important.
HamzaD
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What if you do poorly in one AS level but your teachers still predicts you A* A A.
We consider AS Levels for those who have them and they are an important piece of information as we have a lot of historic data on A level performance and its relevance for Cambridge. If you do well in them it will be a big plus, if you do poorly it will be a disadvantage. All data is treated holistically, however, and if you do well in the Assessment, then that will help to mitigate or reinforce performance in AS Levels.
fburwell
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
great thanks for the information!
Philosophy is a small subject which admits fewer than 50 students a year, thus not many Colleges are going to admit more than two philosophers a year. Your chances of getting into Cambridge are not materially affected by which College you choose thanks to the Pool system. The strength and size of the application fields at each College may well be different but thanks to moderation, each College can judge the strength of its own field against the gathered field of applicants and adjust its offer-making accordingly.
shauna.23
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
do you think studying A level English literature, sociology, and law is a good idea if id like to apply to Cambridge to do a law degree?
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Should there be any evidence of extra curricular activity in the personal statement or should it be purely 100% academic?
It's up to you. Some universities are interested in extra-curricular activity so it's worth mentioning I think as you need to ensure that your UCAS form as a whole gives you the best opportunity to get as many offers as possible.
Rep:
?
(Original post by HamzaD)
please can you tell me what do you mean by your likely strengths and weaknesses?
I don't know what your likely strengths and weaknesses are as I don't know you. What going on an open day can do is allow you to talk with Admissions Tutors, directors of studies and students and get a sense of how suited you are for the course and whether you'd enjoy it and what areas you might want to work on to strengthen your application.
Rep:
?
It's fine as a combination. Some lawyers aren't that keen on A level Law as a subject but it's not something that is going to torpedo any application.
(Original post by shauna.23)
do you think studying A level English literature, sociology, and law is a good idea if id like to apply to Cambridge to do a law degree?
Rep:
?
Great, nice to know we're on the same hymnsheet!
(Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
Hola Presence, Hola Murray Edwards!

We concurr. Beyond the compulsory subjects, GCSE choices are best determined by dicsussions with your teachers. We recognise that the basket of GCSEs will reflect what can be timetabled at a particular school as well as reflecting the interests/skills of individual students.

Brasenose Admissions
Rep:
?
It's not uncommon for this to happen and we'd want to get a sense from the reference as to why the prediction was stronger than the AS performance. We'll then make our own minds up about the value we would place on the prediction in the light of the reference and the AS results.
(Original post by HamzaD)
What if you do poorly in one AS level but your teachers still predicts you A* A A.
Aspenfire
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When considering missed offers, do you also consider how difficult the subject is in which the offer was missed? E.g. in the IB there are some subjects which are irrelevant to the course of study, but have to be taken, so if it was an irrelevant course, do you consider this?
Rep:
?
Subject relevance rather than difficulty (which is much more subjective) is one of the things that we will think about if a candidate misses an offer.
(Original post by Aspenfire)
When considering missed offers, do you also consider how difficult the subject is in which the offer was missed? E.g. in the IB there are some subjects which are irrelevant to the course of study, but have to be taken, so if it was an irrelevant course, do you consider this?
Rep:
?
I don't work in graduate admissions so I'm afraid I couldn't tell you. The best advice is to look on the website or to contact the department. In general, a high 2.1 is necessary for post graduate study, with some courses asking for a 1st.
(Original post by Tabithajeffords)
Hey there I'm studying Finance at the Coventry University London and I'm in my first year. It'd be really helpful if you could let me know the exact criteria of admissions into Cambridge for MPhil Finance or MSc Finance.
Rep:
?
(Original post by AH47q)
Is there any advantage to carrying on with 4 A-Levels if the fourth is completely irrelevant to the course I want to apply for (In my case taking History to apply for Computer Science) if all my other subjects are suitable, or is my time best spent elsewhere ?
If the fourth subject isn't relevant, then there's no particular advantage. There are two subjects at Cambridge where I think that four A Levels are distinctly helpful - Engineering and Physical Nat Sci - and those four A Levels are Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry. That's absolutely *not* to say that you can't get in to those courses without those four A Levels, just that a large proportion of those getting offers in those subjects are doing that combination of A levels.
Rep:
?
(Original post by worldstarr)
Murray Edwards Admissions I’m a year 12 student considering taking 4 A levels next year rather than dropping one at AS would my offer still be made for three A Levels or for four
The vast majority of offers are on 3 A Level offers. Occasionally candidates are made 4 A Level offers but this is not common and done to to ensure a candidate keeps up a relevant fourth subject.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (26)
6.58%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (231)
58.48%
No (138)
34.94%

Watched Threads