The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Presence
hello x i have another question , for the personal statement would you have to define the things you learnt e.g optimisim bias or would it be ok to assume the tutor knows what the term means?

You can assume that we'll know subject-specific terms. If we don't, we can always ask you about them at interview! :smile:
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
(This could potentially apply to people applying for undergrad too)
But if I was potentially on track to get a 2:1 (60-64% average) would that put me out of the running for a Postgraduate place?
Even with some modules and assignments proving to be high 70s marks?

What else goes into the consideration of applying for a postgraduate course?

You're very unlikely to get a postgraduate place with a 60-64% average. The two key things for securing a postgraduate offer are undergraduate record and strength of your references.
Original post by scienceyyy
Hi,
I was looking at some stats on the cambridge website and I noticed that some of the colleges get a lot of applicants. I'm aspiring to study medicine at Cambridge university but I'm currently unsure of which college I want to go to. But I was just wondering, are my chances of getting into cambridge reduced if I apply to a more competitive college, for example King's college.

The way moderation works at Cambridge mitigates the fact that some colleges get more applicants than others.Your chances of getting into Cambridge are not materially affected by which College you choose.
Hola Presence, Hola Murray Edwards!

We concurr. Beyond the compulsory subjects, GCSE choices are best determined by dicsussions with your teachers. We recognise that the basket of GCSEs will reflect what can be timetabled at a particular school as well as reflecting the interests/skills of individual students.

Brasenose Admissions
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
Your A levels are perfectly fine for Economics at Cambridge and for either of the two economics routes at Oxford. You'll have to ask Oxford about what they think of subject choices at GCSE, for us, they aren't terribly important.
Reply 64
What if you do poorly in one AS level but your teachers still predicts you A* A A.
We consider AS Levels for those who have them and they are an important piece of information as we have a lot of historic data on A level performance and its relevance for Cambridge. If you do well in them it will be a big plus, if you do poorly it will be a disadvantage. All data is treated holistically, however, and if you do well in the Assessment, then that will help to mitigate or reinforce performance in AS Levels.
great thanks for the information!
Philosophy is a small subject which admits fewer than 50 students a year, thus not many Colleges are going to admit more than two philosophers a year. Your chances of getting into Cambridge are not materially affected by which College you choose thanks to the Pool system. The strength and size of the application fields at each College may well be different but thanks to moderation, each College can judge the strength of its own field against the gathered field of applicants and adjust its offer-making accordingly.
do you think studying A level English literature, sociology, and law is a good idea if id like to apply to Cambridge to do a law degree?
Original post by Deggs_14
Should there be any evidence of extra curricular activity in the personal statement or should it be purely 100% academic?

It's up to you. Some universities are interested in extra-curricular activity so it's worth mentioning I think as you need to ensure that your UCAS form as a whole gives you the best opportunity to get as many offers as possible.
Original post by HamzaD
please can you tell me what do you mean by your likely strengths and weaknesses?

I don't know what your likely strengths and weaknesses are as I don't know you. What going on an open day can do is allow you to talk with Admissions Tutors, directors of studies and students and get a sense of how suited you are for the course and whether you'd enjoy it and what areas you might want to work on to strengthen your application.
It's fine as a combination. Some lawyers aren't that keen on A level Law as a subject but it's not something that is going to torpedo any application.
Original post by shauna.23
do you think studying A level English literature, sociology, and law is a good idea if id like to apply to Cambridge to do a law degree?
Great, nice to know we're on the same hymnsheet! :smile:
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Hola Presence, Hola Murray Edwards!

We concurr. Beyond the compulsory subjects, GCSE choices are best determined by dicsussions with your teachers. We recognise that the basket of GCSEs will reflect what can be timetabled at a particular school as well as reflecting the interests/skills of individual students.

Brasenose Admissions
It's not uncommon for this to happen and we'd want to get a sense from the reference as to why the prediction was stronger than the AS performance. We'll then make our own minds up about the value we would place on the prediction in the light of the reference and the AS results.
Original post by HamzaD
What if you do poorly in one AS level but your teachers still predicts you A* A A.
When considering missed offers, do you also consider how difficult the subject is in which the offer was missed? E.g. in the IB there are some subjects which are irrelevant to the course of study, but have to be taken, so if it was an irrelevant course, do you consider this?
Subject relevance rather than difficulty (which is much more subjective) is one of the things that we will think about if a candidate misses an offer.
Original post by Aspenfire
When considering missed offers, do you also consider how difficult the subject is in which the offer was missed? E.g. in the IB there are some subjects which are irrelevant to the course of study, but have to be taken, so if it was an irrelevant course, do you consider this?
I don't work in graduate admissions so I'm afraid I couldn't tell you. The best advice is to look on the website or to contact the department. In general, a high 2.1 is necessary for post graduate study, with some courses asking for a 1st.
Original post by Tabithajeffords
Hey there I'm studying Finance at the Coventry University London and I'm in my first year. It'd be really helpful if you could let me know the exact criteria of admissions into Cambridge for MPhil Finance or MSc Finance.
Original post by AH47q
Is there any advantage to carrying on with 4 A-Levels if the fourth is completely irrelevant to the course I want to apply for (In my case taking History to apply for Computer Science) if all my other subjects are suitable, or is my time best spent elsewhere ?

If the fourth subject isn't relevant, then there's no particular advantage. There are two subjects at Cambridge where I think that four A Levels are distinctly helpful - Engineering and Physical Nat Sci - and those four A Levels are Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry. That's absolutely *not* to say that you can't get in to those courses without those four A Levels, just that a large proportion of those getting offers in those subjects are doing that combination of A levels.
Original post by worldstarr
@Murray Edwards Admissions I’m a year 12 student considering taking 4 A levels next year rather than dropping one at AS would my offer still be made for three A Levels or for four

The vast majority of offers are on 3 A Level offers. Occasionally candidates are made 4 A Level offers but this is not common and done to to ensure a candidate keeps up a relevant fourth subject.
Original post by 123543
Hi! Thank you for doing this :smile:

How strongly do you value an A1 over an A2 in a Scottish Higher?

Also, are N5 bands required on the SAQ?

We do value A1s over A2s at Higher. We've just done some research to help inform our thinking on Scottish qualifications which shows there's a good correlation between better performance in Cambridge and more A1s in Highers and Advanced Highers.

off the top of my head I'm not sure about N5 bands, but the SAQ guide will tell you. I think we only ask for them at Higher and Advanced Higher.
Original post by palmtree29
Hi there,
I am currently in Year 12 hoping to apply for Medicine. I am currently taking 5 subjects (Triple Science, Maths, Further Maths) but and predicted A* in all. If I was to get an offer, would I be asked for A*s in all or just an offer based on 3 or 4. I honestly don't know which subject I would drop if taking 5 was to put me at a disadvantage (aside from the additional work).

You definitely won't be asked to get 5 A*s! :smile: You'll very likely be asked to get A*A*A (though the A*s might be specified in particular subjects - usually Chemistry in Medicine's case) and, aside from any specific grades asked for, you can get that across your chosen A Levels.
Original post by goozeberry
Hi

My son was rejected from Cambridge after an interview and being pooled but I have been told that Cambridge may be offering places to students who exceeded their predicted grades as part of clearing. If this is the case how do people who already had the highest predicted grades fair as my son is predicted 4 A*'s so therefore cant achieve higher than predicted. Is he therefore at a disadvantage and does that mean that student with lower grades can potentially take a place on the course he applied for? many thanks

Thanks for your question. Cambridge is entering Adjustment this year, not clearing. Details can be found here (https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/adjustment). It is only for students who applied and were rejected from Cambridge in January, who have specified widening particiaption 'flags' and who exceed their firm choice offer (not their predictions). All those potentially eligible were contacted by email earlier in the year by Cambridge and there will be *no* Adjustment places available for anyone who has not already been contacted.

Latest

Trending

Trending