Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Can I just memorise the English part of my Latin set text and if not why?
damnshinoda
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi!
I finished my Latin GCSE in 2016, so I'm not sure how much the course as changed - forgive me if anything sounds wrong!

If I remember rightly, you can't just memorise the English text because the exam questions will only give you the Latin. It's possible you'll be asked about the grammar/written language or exact phrasings within the Latin text, which aren't necessarily the same once translated. I don't remember a lot of it, but I remember our teacher once explaining that a (Latin) sentence used alliteration to create a particular effect, but the English translation didn't have this alliteration.

Hope that helps!
Arisapo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I also finished my Latin GCSE in 2016, but also did Latin A Level so may be able to help you.

While you can learn the English, the key is to be able to recognise the Latin. It doesn’t necessarily even have to be every single word but if you can recognise a few words and then remember the translation, that’s what I did and came out with an A*. You should be fine.

The best way I found was to use Quizlet. Type the Latin on one side and translation on the other and keep on learning consistently. You should get it to stick.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
thanks all for responding
(Original post by Arisapo)
I also finished my Latin GCSE in 2016, but also did Latin A Level so may be able to help you.

While you can learn the English, the key is to be able to recognise the Latin. It doesn’t necessarily even have to be every single word but if you can recognise a few words and then remember the translation, that’s what I did and came out with an A*. You should be fine.

The best way I found was to use Quizlet. Type the Latin on one side and translation on the other and keep on learning consistently. You should get it to stick.
thanks for replying - what if i were to put every single word in my set texts into quizlet with their direct meaning and just memorise the english - i think that will help me recognise the text
Lotty Ro
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
what i did was make a table where i had the greek on one side and the english on the other, and i highlighted the corresponding words in the same colour so i could see how it fit together, then i made flashcards. and really it just comes from reading the text a lot of times, translating it in your head as you go and noting what you aren't remembering (once i knew the text pretty well, i would still read through it once a week). if you want i can send you my notes and stuff for the iliad 3 and from herodotus on the ethiopians/the power of custom
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Lotty Ro)
what i did was make a table where i had the greek on one side and the english on the other, and i highlighted the corresponding words in the same colour so i could see how it fit together, then i made flashcards. and really it just comes from reading the text a lot of times, translating it in your head as you go and noting what you aren't remembering (once i knew the text pretty well, i would still read through it once a week). if you want i can send you my notes and stuff for the iliad 3 and from herodotus on the ethiopians/the power of custom
Thank you for your reply, I’ve done my GCSE’s now and got an eight in Latin which I’m proud of but thank you for being so sweet x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (27)
5.58%
Uncertainty around my education (56)
11.57%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (57)
11.78%
Lack of purpose or motivation (65)
13.43%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (26)
5.37%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (21)
4.34%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (51)
10.54%
Financial worries (29)
5.99%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (19)
3.93%
Exposure to negative news/social media (31)
6.4%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (14)
2.89%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (48)
9.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (40)
8.26%

Watched Threads