Is my bipolar boyfriend negatively effecting me?

Watch
username4533924
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’ve been in a long distance relationship with this American lad for about 3 years, I love him to bits.. most of the time. Sometimes he turns nasty and goes all moody, which puts me in a bad mood and then effects my daily life. He wants me to drop everything and go live with him, but when I try to explain that I have a life over here, he gets all pissy. I want to study here in England, he wants me to go over here and drop everything to be with him. I don’t know what to do. I have the feeling I’ll be miserable if I stay with him for the rest of my life.. so I’m at a bit of a loss. What should I do?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
LDRs are difficult and involve a lot of compromise on both sides.
Sometimes people on medication can be a bit moody because of the side affects of their meds or their existing symptoms.

It sounds like your boyfriend wants to see you everyday and is desperately trying to persuade you to relocate to the usa.
You can invite him to come visit you for a short holiday too.
That way you can spend some time together and start planning for occasions when it will be possible for you to be in the same country.
username4533924
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’ve told him that we can see each other during my breaks (which is about 15 weeks yearly), yet he still complains saying that it isn’t enough. I understand, I want to see him too.. but I think that the problem is that I’m okay with seeing him everyday over a screen and visiting him occasionally, but he isn’t. He wants to be together 24/7.
(Original post by londonmyst)
LDRs are difficult and involve a lot of compromise on both sides.
Sometimes people on medication can be a bit moody because of the side affects of their meds or their existing symptoms.

It sounds like your boyfriend wants to see you everyday and is desperately trying to persuade you to relocate to the usa.
You can invite him to come visit you for a short holiday too.
That way you can spend some time together and start planning for occasions when it will be possible for you to be in the same country.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Eritsuin)
I’ve told him that we can see each other during my breaks (which is about 15 weeks yearly), yet he still complains saying that it isn’t enough. I understand, I want to see him too.. but I think that the problem is that I’m okay with seeing him everyday over a screen and visiting him occasionally, but he isn’t. He wants to be together 24/7.
Is he very keen on giving or receiving physical demonstrations of affection?
Or having lots of face to face human contact with friends and family.
Not necessarily anything with a sexual element- hugs, sitting next to him on sofas, holding his hand.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (44)
36.97%
No (61)
51.26%
I don't know (14)
11.76%

Watched Threads