How do people work and go to uni?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
This may sound typos but I’m genuinely struggling. Very few places will hire me for the upcoming year because my hours at Uni are unpredictable; one week, I may have to be in from 8am-5pm, other days, I have maybe one lecture in the morning/afternoon, other days none at all. My timetable changes on a weekly basis.

My applications aren’t being accepted because very few jobs are THAT flexible. The only day that I’m completely free is Saturday.

How am I supposed to get a job?
ihatePE
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
it takes time to find such contract, but also luck. it took me ages to find a weekend job 10-21 hrs. Also if you need money then I think missing a few lectures won't be too bad. I slept through most of my morning lectures, and I didn't really struggle on the unit. I just put the hrs in another time.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ihatePE)
it takes time to find such contract, but also luck. it took me ages to find a weekend job 10-21 hrs. Also if you need money then I think missing a few lectures won't be too bad. I slept through most of my morning lectures, and I didn't really struggle on the unit. I just put the hrs in another time.
Haha, that was my plan, alas I'm in 2nd year and just about scraped 1st year, so I want to put most of my time into studying. May I ask what kind of job you found and how? Currently just scanning Indeed and Totaljobs doesn't seem to be doing it.
greghayes
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Is there anywhere on campus that hires students, like shops or student bars? They're used to obviously working with students so are able to work around unusual schedules
Anonymous #1
(Original post by greghayes)
Is there anywhere on campus that hires students, like shops or student bars? They're used to obviously working with students so are able to work around unusual schedules
Yep, I applied for a few on campus jobs before I started first year but was rejected each time, I suppose because there is just such a massive volume of students looking to work there...
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This may sound typos but I’m genuinely struggling. Very few places will hire me for the upcoming year because my hours at Uni are unpredictable; one week, I may have to be in from 8am-5pm, other days, I have maybe one lecture in the morning/afternoon, other days none at all. My timetable changes on a weekly basis.

My applications aren’t being accepted because very few jobs are THAT flexible. The only day that I’m completely free is Saturday.

How am I supposed to get a job?
You may have to stick to a Saturday only job, or evening work. Your lectures won't go past 5 or 6pm, so you could get a job in a bar or restaurant where you work evening shifts.
ihatePE
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Haha, that was my plan, alas I'm in 2nd year and just about scraped 1st year, so I want to put most of my time into studying. May I ask what kind of job you found and how? Currently just scanning Indeed and Totaljobs doesn't seem to be doing it.
I got a job in lidl which was advertised when I googled ''part time jobs in ____'', they had an online test (which I always fail for every other job) then they called me for a mini interview, the interviewer then said I'm through to the actual face to face interview, and I passed that as well. it's funny because I wasn't keeping track of this application, I was more interested in the others - but I ended up being rejected for everything else and got accepted for this one. things come when you least expect it, that's how my life seem to work out these days
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (280)
15.27%
Uncertainty around my education (287)
15.65%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (183)
9.98%
Isolating with family (129)
7.03%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (84)
4.58%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (153)
8.34%
Loneliness (181)
9.87%
Financial worries (75)
4.09%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (169)
9.21%
Exposure to negative news/social media (132)
7.2%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (161)
8.78%

Watched Threads