Advice for starting PGCE Watch

E107
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I will be starting my PGCE in September and I was wondering if you would give me any advice/tips to get me through?

Also welcome any advice on any resources I need to purchase? (books/stationary etc)

Thanks in advance
christine24
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Has your UNI sent you out a welcome letter yet? I have a load of tasks to do before I start. Nervous as hell!
E107
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I haven’t got anything from uni, only the start date!
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by E107)
Hi, I will be starting my PGCE in September and I was wondering if you would give me any advice/tips to get me through?

Also welcome any advice on any resources I need to purchase? (books/stationary etc)

Thanks in advance
Over this summer make sure you have fun and do things you enjoy! Don't worry about the PGCE too much.

In terms of books, you'll probably be given a reading list by your uni. If you're doing secondary, having a GCSE/A-level textbook for your subject can help but isn't essential and you can often "borrow" them from school!

Beyond the obvious (notebooks, pen, laptop) I found having a couple of my own board pens and a "clicker" for powerpoint very helpful. Post-its, some cheep biros to give out (secondary) and multi coloured pens to fit whatever weird marking policy your placement schools have can also be good. A memory stick and hard drive to back up all the work you do in school is also useful. But you won't NEED any of this straight away, so it's fine to wait until you're in school if you want to.

Random Tips in no particular order:
-Stay on top of your workload, it can quickly snowball.
-Try to print things the night before.
-Learn names as quickly as you can (this really helps with behaviour management).
-Take the things you like from each uni lecture/teacher you observe/feedback you get and leave the things you don't.
-Keep talking to other people on the course, I found this really helped me.
-If you start to struggle, then let people know straight away. There is help available and it won't be held against you. Don't let things spiral!

Most of this has a secondary bias, but hopefully there's some useful stuff here. I'm happy to help if you've got any questions!
tom_tom_tom
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don’t let your work snowball. I can agree with this 4 years in and a set of my books haven’t been marked for 6 months I never learn. Damage control over the next week with them...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (40)
13.56%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (45)
15.25%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (54)
18.31%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (120)
40.68%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (16)
5.42%
No particular grades needed (20)
6.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise