1 litre car Watch

Ali_81
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Can a 1 litre car make it to Manchester from Sheffield.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ali_81)
`yes, engine size has very little to do with vehicle range. If anything an efficient 1L engine is much better as it will burn less fuel doing highway miles than larger engines with a higher fuel flow rate.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Cleverboy1991
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't know, can it? I'd give it lots of treats and encouragement and it might be able to do a few tricks for you.

Make sure to pet it every half hour and groom it thoroughly.
williamho
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The modern car's engine is getting smaller and smaller. Due to increase efficiency and less emission.
There is even a 1 litre Ford Fiesta with 3 cylinders turbo on the market.
Yes, a 1 litre car can go from Sheffield to Manchester and beyond.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)
`yes, engine size has very little to do with vehicle range. If anything an efficient 1L engine is much better as it will burn less fuel doing highway miles than larger engines with a higher fuel flow rate.
Eh, that depends massively on the cars you're comparing. A little 1 litre screaming along at 70mph is going to use a lot of fuel compared to a larger engine lazily cruising along at the same speed.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Nuffles)
Eh, that depends massively on the cars you're comparing. A little 1 litre screaming along at 70mph is going to use a lot of fuel compared to a larger engine lazily cruising along at the same speed.
Yes, it varies massively, but in any car manufactured in the last 5 years should easily handle 70 at cruise lowish rpm easily in 5th or 6th. Obviously if its an old banger this won't be the case, but nobody has a BSFC map on hand for every single model on the roads... thus it was a generalisation.
iMZee
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Honestly depends on what car. A 2008 Vauxhall Corsa 1.0 has around 59hp so if you have it full of people good luck doing 70 up a hill (even in 4th it's a struggle). Don't even bother with overtaking. I found it best to stay behind lorry's as there is less drag and hence less load on the engine.

However, if you have the 1.0 turbo in the fiesta, you can have a bunch of fun in that. Pull pretty hard on country lanes and a blast to drive. Can keep up with the flow of traffic regardless of gradients and can return respectable mpg at 75 which is about 70 mph real speed. (Speedos are inaccurate out of the factory, found the fiesta to be off by around 5mph at that speed)
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by iMZee)
Honestly depends on what car. A 2008 Vauxhall Corsa 1.0 has around 59hp so if you have it full of people good luck doing 70 up a hill (even in 4th it's a struggle). Don't even bother with overtaking. I found it best to stay behind lorry's as there is less drag and hence less load on the engine.

However, if you have the 1.0 turbo in the fiesta, you can have a bunch of fun in that. Pull pretty hard on country lanes and a blast to drive. Can keep up with the flow of traffic regardless of gradients and can return respectable mpg at 75 which is about 70 mph real speed. (Speedos are inaccurate out of the factory, found the fiesta to be off by around 5mph at that speed)
1L ecoboost is great fun (factory speedos should not be close to that far off tho, 5 mph is a serious fault outside the nominal required standards, I would take that back to the dealer that should be taken care of for free fix)
RichPiana
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If this guy can drive from Liverpool to Madrid in a £40 car then anything is possible.
iMZee
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)
1L ecoboost is great fun (factory speedos should not be close to that far off tho, 5 mph is a serious fault outside the nominal required standards, I would take that back to the dealer that should be taken care of for free fix)
Thanks for the tip
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)
That's ********. You're talking out your arse.
Last edited by IWMTom; 3 weeks ago
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by iMZee)
Thanks for the tip
Ignore them, they don't have a clue.
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)
I agree
DarthRoar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I have a 0.9L turbo (899 ccs lol), and it flies along at 85 just fine. 45-50 mpg too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
15.67%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (32)
14.75%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (44)
20.28%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (83)
38.25%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (12)
5.53%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise