The Student Room Group

Describe your experience of first year of uni? What have you learnt?

I've been through a bit of a roller coaster. Lived on campus and honestly the first few months of uni was the happiest I'd felt in years. I experienced so much but a lot of **** happened. Went through a heartbreak, had to cut off a few friends which was also pretty tough but overall I had loads of fun.

A year of firsts for me:
first time having sex
first time living away from home
first time going clubbing
first time I've gotten drunk and high
first time learning to keep my boundaries and having to cut people off
first proper heartbreak :frown:
didn't have to change out of a hijab every time I went out
etc. etc. etc.

so how was your first year guys?
Original post by soks
I've been through a bit of a roller coaster. Lived on campus and honestly the first few months of uni was the happiest I'd felt in years. I experienced so much but a lot of **** happened. Went through a heartbreak, had to cut off a few friends which was also pretty tough but overall I had loads of fun.

A year of firsts for me:
first time having sex
first time living away from home
first time going clubbing
first time I've gotten drunk and high
first time learning to keep my boundaries and having to cut people off
first proper heartbreak :frown:
didn't have to change out of a hijab every time I went out
etc. etc. etc.

so how was your first year guys?

My first year was 2017-18, so recent enough that I can comment on it still!

It was alright, pretty much as I expected. I lived with messy people and had to learn to deal with that. I lived in a very noisy accommodation block so had to learn how to overcome that problem. I had to deal with the issue of cigarette smoke stinking up my room. I learned how to navigate my way around a big city on my own for the first time, not having my parents there to tell me what to do or how. I learned how to budget my money for food and other essential expenses. I learned how expensive toilet paper actually is (turns out there is no magic fairy that restocks it?").

Overall it was a happy experience. I became so much more independent and learned to fend for myself a bit more. I learned how to find a house to rent, learned about contracts and procedures and what to look for etc. My second year was definitely a better experience! I'm hoping my third will be the best one!
Hey,

My first year was pretty good, it's where I met a lot of my core friends. My accommodation was lively and loud, so it was very easy to get involved and meet everyone. I definitely had a lot of firsts too. I turned 18 sometime in May, and I hadn't gone clubbing or partying beforehand. It's pretty much moulded me as a person.

The actual work has been alright, too. I changed courses from my first year of Computer Science to Media, because I found Comp Sci pretty boring.

Glad you enjoyed your first year!
Joshua :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending