Marzie9959
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I am in S3 after summer but at school all they talk about is how we need to prepare for taking Nat 5s next year. I am confident in all other subjects I am planning on taking next year apart from english. I am confident about the questions but I am worried about having to write the critical essay as I am a slow writer (in my opinion) and I dont qualify for extra time or anything like that. I know you might think it it too early for me to be asking things like this but it is just because I am curious and our school is being really annoying by pestering us about exams.
Thanks in advance 🙂
Fermion.
Badges: 17
Report 1 month ago
You’ll be grand if you just practice your essay writing in timed conditions when you’re revising. Make sure you know all your quotes and themes to save time in the exam.
Rishi.R
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
At your stage I was terrified out of my mind about the English exam. I can tell you know that it will all workout fine.I am also a slow writer which is why I just continually practiced doing my essays under timed conditions. This worked out perfectly in the exam as it will do for you I am sure.

Good luck!
Marzie9959
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you 🙂
Valeriex
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yep when I was in S3 i didn't think I would be able to write under the conditions but honestly you will practice so much throughout the year, and the SQA know that you have not a lot of time so they mark possibly more leniently than your folio pieces. Though I'm still sure that I've failed, guess we will wait and see. But if you have a natural ability to write essays well then it shouldn't be too much work until nearer exam times, and if you actually learn your quotes while you get them it will make things 10 times easier. That's what I'm planning on doing for higher this year, if I pass. And the fact that you are thinking about school during the holidays shows that you probably will work hard enough throughout the year.
Valeriex
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
And by the end of the year I found the Scottish text the easiest and it only took me about 25mins in the exam so I had a full hour for the essay.
If you are doing poems from either Norman McCaig or Carol Ann Duffy, those (in my opinion) are probably the easiest to understand and the questions were like RUAE but easier because you knew what the poem was about.
Marzie9959
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much for your replies
fucthesqa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
In my opinion, it was probably the easiest exam I'll ever do.

The majority of my peers and friends got A's, even people who weren't so strong at English.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?