?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Here are the unis that I'm planning to apply for:
1. Oxford Economics and Management
2. St. Andrews Economics and Management
3. LSE Management
4. Loughborough Economics and Management
5. UEA Economics

At the moment, my PS is pretty much entirely focused on Economics. What should I do? Do I need to include management since I'm applying to LSE for solely management instead of economics?
Headboard
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It might be worth considering maybe adding a paragraph or so about management and why that is something you want to do over just economics given that 4 of your choices are to do with that in some way.
harrysbar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, you definitely do need to include your reasons for wishing to study Management since the other 4 unis will think it strange if you don't (and a rejection from LSE would be practically guaranteed). UEA will understand that you have applied to 1 or more courses including Management but I can't see them minding since they're not as competitive as your top 3.
Shish_bish
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by loganau2001)
Here are the unis that I'm planning to apply for:
1. Oxford Economics and Management
2. St. Andrews Economics and Management
3. LSE Management
4. Loughborough Economics and Management
5. UEA Economics

At the moment, my PS is pretty much entirely focused on Economics. What should I do? Do I need to include management since I'm applying to LSE for solely management instead of economics?
I saw a video in which an an Oxford admissions team member said that they trash personal statements in which someone in not sure which course they want to do, they do this because they don’t think this person loves it as much as someone who is clear about studying a particular course and has mentioned only that through their PS

They gave an example of someone applying for medicine at Oxford and then including engineering/nursing/computer science related crap in their personal statement for another uni, they said they trash it immediately when they see that because they got 1000s of other applications to get through.

So be careful on the way you bring up or connect two courses in your personal statement and you might wanna reconsider Oxford. You don’t need mention the courses at all, just tailor your PS towards the two courses in a way that’s not toooo obvious because some unis prefer taking on someone that’s sure and loves the course than someone who’s second guessing
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
harrysbar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Shish_bish)
I saw a video in which an an Oxford admissions team member said that they trash personal statements in which someone in not sure which course they want to do, they do this because they don’t think this person loves it as much as someone who is clear about studying a particular course and has mentioned only that through their PS

They gave an example of someone applying for medicine at Oxford and then including engineering/nursing/computer science related crap in their personal statement for another uni, they said they trash it immediately when they see that because they got 1000s of other applications to get through.

So be careful on the way you bring up or connect two courses in your personal statement and you might wanna reconsider Oxford. You don’t need mention the courses at all, just tailor your PS towards the two courses in a way that’s not toooo obvious because some unis prefer taking on someone that’s sure and loves the course than someone who’s second guessing
That's a good point but I think OP will be ok applying to Oxford (and other places) and talking about 2 subjects in their PS since Oxford are offering a joint degree in Economics and Management.

The only uni who might not like it are UEA but I think OP is still quite likely to get an offer from them if they have excellent academics, which I'm assuming they do.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
LSE are very particular about their PSs and want it 100% focused on the subject(s) you are applying for there. Oxford only offer E&M, so why not do single honours for your other choices? You may well be able to do management electives
DavidCameron12
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes you should. The PS expresses your desire to take up the course in the University. And if it's not related to Management, then you'll not make the impact you want to create.

Even if you're not writing a whole new PS, atleast make sure to tweak the existing one with Management in it.
University of East Anglia
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi loganau2001,

Universities will usually understand that you may be applying for more than one subject, or a joint-honours. Given the different courses you’ve listed that you’ve applied for, it would probably be worth mentioning management in your personal statement at least a bit.

It is also worth noting that some of the universities you are applying for may accept an additional personal statement in this situation (UEA does!). It is certainly worth checking.

If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to message me!

Emilie – Official UEA TSR Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.49%
Excited (156)
9.1%
Worried (306)
17.85%
Terrified (381)
22.23%
Meh (169)
9.86%
Confused (37)
2.16%