Anybody rejected from university because of your disability? Watch

SasRowlands21
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone!

I’m doing a project about disabled students being rejected from universities on the grounds of their disability (my best friend experienced this recently which is what inspired me to peruse the matter). If you or somebody you know has experienced this I would love to hear your story. Please get in touch.
Many thanks and look forward to hearing from you x
Last edited by SasRowlands21; 1 month ago
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SasRowlands21)
Hi everyone!

I’m doing a project about disabled students being rejected from universities on the grounds of their disability (my best friend experienced this recently which is what inspired me to peruse the matter). If you or somebody you kno has any expei made of this that you would be willing to share please do get in contact.
Many thanks and look forward to hearing from you x
I think your going to struggle to find responses (even on here).

Its illegal for Universities to discriminate entry based on the fact they are disabled, they are only allowed to reject someone for a disability, if the students disability prevents them from completing the course (and if that is the case, the Universities still have to make reasonable effort to accomodate students)
OctoberRain7
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As previously mentioned it is illegal to reject someone because of disability but sometimes symptoms do make it harder e.g. someone with autism may find the interview harder because it doesn’t really cater to their means of communication, or someone with dyspraxia like me will find it hard to get into a course with a practical element because of impaired coordination
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SasRowlands21
Rep:
?
Yes it is against the law to discriminate in this way, but unfortunately it still happens. Universities will never admit to it but I’m looking for examples of when people suspect highly that they have been doscriminated against. My friend, for example, knew because of the nature of the questions she was asked at interview.
Would be great to hear from anybody who suspects this has happened to them.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes it is against the law to discriminate in this way, but unfortunately it still happens. Universities will never admit to it but I’m looking for examples of when people suspect highly that they have been doscriminated against. My friend, for example, knew because of the nature of the questions she was asked at interview.
Would be great to hear from anybody who suspects this has happened to them.
This is highly subjective & unless you see the application documentation or the quality of other applicants almost impossible to fairly say. This could just lead to a small handful of rejected applicants who are disgruntled they got rejected assuming it was due to disability, this is a hugly weighted argument and unless you're also going to look through the entire admissions process at every university and do full data collection and analysis you will have a hugly bias in your results.

EDIT: additionally i have attended 2 Universities, both of whom I have seen make reasonable efforts to accommodate disabled students, and whilst i'm not in the admissions office i've seen students not be discriminated against, due to the ethical & legal implications I think this only happens in a handful of outlier cases in the UK which should likely be dealt with case by case
Last edited by mnot; 1 month ago
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can you provide any evidence for your friends case? I sincerely doubt this is happening. It would be incredibly serious for the universities involved if it was. I applied for uni as a disabled applicant and was very happy with the treatment I received through the application process with all unis and with the support I received while studying.
SasRowlands21
Rep:
?
Discrimination in society against disabled people is illegal, but whether we like to admit it or not it does happen. As I previously said universities will never admit to it, but that’s not to say that it is not happening. A lot of things are illegal but the law is frequently broken. Most societal subjects are biased to a certain degree, however thats not to say they shouldnt be discussed and queationed. I’m not saying anything is categorical. My friend has had a very bad experience and university are being taken to court over it , so actually it does happen. I am also interested in discrimination whilst at university not just admission. Any experiences please let me know. Many thanks
SasRowlands21
Rep:
?
P.s I will be contacting any universities mentioned to ask for their comments on the matter
lou2602
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Although it's illegal to discriminate in this way (especially since the 2010 Equality Act), certain courses do require you to pass a "fitness to practice" test or "competence standards". This mainly applies to medical degrees as it's more to do with the safety of other people. The competence standards are they to make sure that students understand the demands and expectations of the course.

As someone with a mild, physical disability, I am still able to start my course but special accommodations are set in place such as computer software, extra time in exams and extended deadlines. Similarly with any learning disability or mental health issue, extra help can be provided (and should be in line with 2010 Equality Act) - to make all reasonable adjustments to support disabled students.
SasRowlands21
Rep:
?
Thank you for your reply. I am really looking for examples of people who suspect they have been discriminated against in some way within the admissions process, and /or those who have experienced discrimination whilst at university. Many thanks and please do get in touch if you have an experience to share.
Rawr789
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can I ask what happened to your friend and what questions the uni asked to make her feel as though she was experiencing discrimination?
Other_Owl
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's illegal for any university to discriminate. By law they have to provide correct support for anyone with a disability e.g wheel chair ramps.
SasRowlands21
Rep:
?
Yes as I have previously said it is against the law, but that’s not to say that the law is not broken. Discrimination occurs at lots of different levels and is often completely undercurrent. It’s great to hear that people on here have experienced no issues, but there are plenty of people who have. It’s the same aas any other form of human rights, LGBTQ+ rights for example. It is illegal to discriminate against these mminorties however it still occurs extensively. If anybody has any stories they would be willing to share please please get in touch.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I must've gotten lucky because my university went above and beyond, they actually were better than my firm choice (the university I attended was my insurance) in the run up to results day. The support I got from them whilst studying was outstanding as well especially in my final year.

It makes me sad that your friend was heavily discriminated against.
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You keep saying it's extensive but no one here has anything negative to say... And you still won't say what happened to your friend...
Yes as I have previously said it is against the law, but that’s not to say that the law is not broken. Discrimination occurs at lots of different levels and is often completely undercurrent. It’s great to hear that people on here have experienced no issues, but there are plenty of people who have. It’s the same aas any other form of human rights, LGBTQ+ rights for example. It is illegal to discriminate against these mminorties however it still occurs extensively. If anybody has any stories they would be willing to share please please get in touch.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by doodle_333)
You keep saying it's extensive but no one here has anything negative to say... And you still won't say what happened to your friend...
Exactly what i was thinking, and what i think is more worrying is OP is using this as data collection for a project, it seems to be an extreme bias collection method, OP also has no method of ensuring validity, or where disgruntled students have misread the reason for rejection. The reality is the global admission stats are available from every institution (as realised by UCAS) hence if OP's claims are true they would appear in there and if there is a pattern of rejecting by discrimination in those numbers.

I am curious OP, what is the goal of your project? and what expertise do you have on this area?
SasRowlands21
Rep:
?
My friend received a First class honours degree and had constantly excelled throughout her time there. She went for an interview at the same university for the same course but for an MA. The woman interviewing asked her nothing about the subject or questioned her knowledge of the subject. Instead she was bombarded with questions about whether she would physically cope. When she was rejected she was told that the reason for not being accepted was because the ‘physical demands would be too much for her’ (despite the fact that it was the same course as her ba and she had never even vaguely struggled academically or physically with the course previously and the MA is no different in terms of physical requirements). There happened to be a supervisor sitting in on the interview who also noticed the behaviour the lecturer interviewing and personally contacted my friend afterwards to suggest she looked in to it. My friend and her parents have taken this to court and the team involved at the university have been sued. I am not exposing the name of the university as my friend wants to keep things confidential. I also hoped it wasn’t necessary to give full details of my friends experience as it has been very traumatic for her and didn’t want to break her confidentiality. I find it rather ignorant of people to deny something on this forum when they have absolutely zero knowledge of her situation.
Furthermore, I have already acknowledged that this subject is bias - but most things in life are bias to some extent- but thats not to say that it’s not important and something to be questioned and discussed. That is what a democratic society is based upon. I am researching and hence have endeavoured to come to q first hand primary source. As I said previously I have never been categorical - but the truth is that prejudices and discrimination of all kinds exist widely within society, despite the writings of the law, hence why we have a judicial system in place in this country.
And for your information I have been working as a human rights and disability ambassador for a major leading disability charity in the UK for 2 years now alongside my degree as well as being on the Amanety international board of human rights , and this is a subject we have discussed frequently.
I would also like to point out that Scope have been working extensively with me on this and have out me in touch with various students who have had horrific experiences as disabled people whilst at university. I come at this with lots of experience and would hope that people would not be so quick to jump to entirely false conclusions.
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm kinda curious how my places work, as it's horticultural/agri college/uni, never seen anyone with an obvious disability.

I'd suspect that the use of specific machinery rules a lot of people out, no one in a wheelchair or walking impaired would have a hope of completing the course.
SasRowlands21
Rep:
?
Interesting that all these law firms have a dedicated team who deal with disability discrimination, and this article from the Independent. Hopefully makes you realise that disability discrimination is absolutely a thing.

https://www.matchsolicitors.com/serv...discrimination

https://www.geldards.com/disability-...niversity.aspx

https://www.stephensons.co.uk/site/b...n-universities

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.i...711.html%3famp
SasRowlands21
Rep:
?
And would like to point this out (see attachment) as cited by Match Solicitors
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.71%
Excited (151)
9.01%
Worried (303)
18.08%
Terrified (375)
22.37%
Meh (155)
9.25%
Confused (37)
2.21%