Finish my degree or get a good job?

Watch
Baldeneo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I used to study Computer systems engineering at Brunel University London, however i failed 2nd year as i found it extremely difficult, the teaching of it was dreadful and I just hated the whole experience. I wasn't that interested in IT and engineering anyway, as my first choice was to be an airline pilot, so I settled for IT as it I thought it would be interesting and pilot school is a very expensive commitment in the UK.
However i was wrong as i completely lost interest in the subject.
I then found a placement year at Heathrow Airport, which was a dream place to work of mine (loving planes and aviation of course). Here I found my real true interest of aviation management, I loved working in the control room and seeing the orchestration of the airport operation and responding to emergencies and incidents. I now have the opportunity to apply straight to a controller role, and management have said I would be suitable as I have acquired the good skill set and knowledge of aviation needed to do this job (as you have to have very specific skills of knowing the airfield for this job), the pay is as much, and probably more than a graduate salary and is a job i know I love as its in the heart of aviation. The job also doesn't require a degree, but I have attained a HNC in Computer Systems Engineering (as I did pass 1st year albeit retaking one exam)

Question is, should i go back to university, retake 2nd year and then continue 3rd year to get a degree to my name in Computer Systems, or should I try for the job and go for that, earn good salary and work my way up the ladder to be an eventual airport manager and potentially a pilot with an airline. Even if i did finish my degree, I would definitely still go for an airport ops role, as I would not like to work in IT as I find it boring
(I tried Heathrow IT role and hated it as it was just office/desk work)

Let me know you thoughts, much appreciated!
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
99 times out of 100 I think people should complete their degree. Your case is more specific and I think you should apply for the job and see how you get on.
trapking
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Baldeneo)
I used to study Computer systems engineering at Brunel University London, however i failed 2nd year as i found it extremely difficult, the teaching of it was dreadful and I just hated the whole experience. I wasn't that interested in IT and engineering anyway, as my first choice was to be an airline pilot, so I settled for IT as it I thought it would be interesting and pilot school is a very expensive commitment in the UK.
However i was wrong as i completely lost interest in the subject.
I then found a placement year at Heathrow Airport, which was a dream place to work of mine (loving planes and aviation of course). Here I found my real true interest of aviation management, I loved working in the control room and seeing the orchestration of the airport operation and responding to emergencies and incidents. I now have the opportunity to apply straight to a controller role, and management have said I would be suitable as I have acquired the good skill set and knowledge of aviation needed to do this job (as you have to have very specific skills of knowing the airfield for this job), the pay is as much, and probably more than a graduate salary and is a job i know I love as its in the heart of aviation. The job also doesn't require a degree, but I have attained a HNC in Computer Systems Engineering (as I did pass 1st year albeit retaking one exam)

Question is, should i go back to university, retake 2nd year and then continue 3rd year to get a degree to my name in Computer Systems, or should I try for the job and go for that, earn good salary and work my way up the ladder to be an eventual airport manager and potentially a pilot with an airline. Even if i did finish my degree, I would definitely still go for an airport ops role, as I would not like to work in IT as I find it boring
(I tried Heathrow IT role and hated it as it was just office/desk work)

Let me know you thoughts, much appreciated!
Would you have to redo the whole of 2nd year or just the exams you failed?

If you have to retake the whole 2nd year might as well just quit and go do what you love BUT don't quit until you know you've actually got the job (since it's not guaranteed you'll get it).
Baldeneo
Rep:
?
Thank you. I would have to retake the whole year, and yes I will apply and see how I get on. I just don't want to go back to uni regretting that I should have at least applied to a job I am excited to do.
(Original post by Renaissance-Man)
Would you have to redo the whole of 2nd year or just the exams you failed?

If you have to retake the whole 2nd year might as well just quit and go do what you love BUT don't quit until you know you've actually got the job (since it's not guaranteed you'll get it).
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can you get through the job application and know if you have an offer or not before you need to make the final decision about uni? If not, then see if you can defer university for a year and then go all out for getting a job asap, so that by the time you have to consider taking up a deferred uni place, you've got experience of a career role.

Basically, you need to make sure you are in the career you want to be in for the next 10 or so years, before you decline the degree opportunity.
trapking
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you. I would have to retake the whole year, and yes I will apply and see how I get on. I just don't want to go back to uni regretting that I should have at least applied to a job I am excited to do.
Yeah then apply and see what happens first.

If worse comes to worse you can always complete your degree (since you only have 2 years left) and re-apply to the aviation roles after you finish.
Baldeneo
Rep:
?
Hi, yes, if i do get the job role I will have a week to choose to accept or not. I do know that I will stay in aviation for more than 10 years, I would stay in it for life as I can't imagine myself, nor would I want to work in another industry as I would find it not as engaging. I am an avid plane geek and know working in aviation is something I'd like to spend my life in (like a doctor for medical field or pilot for aviation field) etc...
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Can you get through the job application and know if you have an offer or not before you need to make the final decision about uni? If not, then see if you can defer university for a year and then go all out for getting a job asap, so that by the time you have to consider taking up a deferred uni place, you've got experience of a career role.

Basically, you need to make sure you are in the career you want to be in for the next 10 or so years, before you decline the degree opportunity.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, yes, if i do get the job role I will have a week to choose to accept or not. I do know that I will stay in aviation for more than 10 years, I would stay in it for life as I can't imagine myself, nor would I want to work in another industry as I would find it not as engaging. I am an avid plane geek and know working in aviation is something I'd like to spend my life in (like a doctor for medical field or pilot for aviation field) etc...
That's great, then apply for the job and leave the decision until you know the outcome of the job. But if you know it's what you want, it's an easy decision - university isn't for everyone, and if you know where you want to work, and you have the opportunity, then seize it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.09%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.37%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.7%
I need help with my personal statement (64)
42.95%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
24.16%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.01%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.71%

Watched Threads