My boyfriend said he liked me because I’m “the girl next door” - what does it mean? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I was talking to my boyfriend about what made him initially attracted and he said not only did we get on really well but I’m “the girl next door”.

What exactly does this mean and is it a compliment? It sounds like he’s thinks I’m plain and average or have I misconstrued it?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
it just means you are a normal neighborhood girl ?
Arisapo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’d say it’s definitely a compliment.

What I think of it meaning is a girl who is naturally beautiful, without having lots of makeup, quite reserved but got a mysterious side to them you want to know more about.

In my eyes dating material effectively.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Perhaps I am a little too sensitive but "a girl next door" would somehow imply to me that I am the 'safe' option. But that is just me. I am fairly sure that to a lot of the girls it will be a compliment because the girl next door infers to a person who is sweet-natured and has all the characteristics of a good patterner.
Izzythestudent
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Think ‘paper towns’
She’s girl next door
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Perhaps I am a little too sensitive but "a girl next door" would somehow imply to me that I am the 'safe' option. But that is just me. I am fairly sure that to a lot of the girls it will be a compliment because the girl next door infers to a person who is sweet-natured and has all the characteristics of a good patterner.
I agree with this - ‘girl next door’ kinda implies that you’re ‘cute’ which isn’t bad so interpret as you want to
OctoberRain7
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Izzythestudent)
Think ‘paper towns’
She’s girl next door
Only in the sense that she literally lives next door
Margot was wrote to be a manic pixie dream girl, pretty much the opposite of the girl next door as they’re spontaneous and unreliable
In my opinion girl next door is definitely a compliment, it means you’re a nice person, genuine and long-term material, not overly loud or arrogant
Guru Jason
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Girl next door is like Spidey and MJ in the Marvel Comics.
I'mPooPoo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It means you two are neighbours.
Wooord
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It just reminds of that song from Drake and Josh
username4878202
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Means he thinks you're down to earth , someone he can relay on and feel relaxed around u ;its a complement. Also its a common trope in movies and tv shows for a reason a lot of guys are really drawn to the idea of a relationship like that.
Last edited by username4878202; 1 month ago
FakeNewsEditor
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would give it as a compliment. It means you aren't fake, a diva or take yourself too seriously. You're simple, nice and down to earth and they can be themselves around you w/o fear of being judged.
C0mpletelyBr0ke
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Maybe stop being so paranoid?
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s because he sees you as a decent young lady. Not an insult.
Anonymous #4
Report 1 month ago
I see where your coming from, personally I wouldn't want to be called the girl next door. It does imply that your average and nothing special, it's certainly not something I would say about my partner but more of something you would say about an acquaintance.

Unless he just meant that you are a nice girl and not over dramatic/ fake.
FakeNewsEditor
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I see where your coming from, personally I wouldn't want to be called the girl next door. It does imply that your average and nothing special, it's certainly not something I would say about my partner but more of something you would say about an acquaintance.

Unless he just meant that you are a nice girl and not over dramatic/ fake.
No it doesn't. It means you're nice and makes him feel comfortable. Girl next door vibes are the best.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think it just means you're straightforward, and easy to get along with. I think it is a compliment, or I would see it as one, anyway.
SlightlySummer
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's a good thing

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...%20next%20door
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
I was talking to my boyfriend about what made him initially attracted and he said not only did we get on really well but I’m “the girl next door”.

What exactly does this mean and is it a compliment? It sounds like he’s thinks I’m plain and average or have I misconstrued it?
Overthinking. The only person who really knows what he means is your bf. You could put a spin on it either way, but if you factor in the fact he was trying to compliment or say something nice (as thats what you expected), then I would take it as a positive and think about something more interesting.
Anonymous #5
Report 1 month ago

It's definately meant as a compliment: it means you are good, sweet and wholesome. But I would be careful and try and mix it up a bit and keep it interesting because every guy thinks he wants a nice, good girl but the reality of that day in day out quickly gets boring coming home to that everyday and that's where years down the line they get the itch. Don't be afraid to be a bit more exotic and fun from time to time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.71%
Excited (151)
9.01%
Worried (303)
18.08%
Terrified (375)
22.37%
Meh (155)
9.25%
Confused (37)
2.21%
Putting on a brave face (230)
13.72%
Impatient (212)
12.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise