What's the deal with universities and why are they such a pain to get interviews at? Watch

DuckDodgers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Question in the title really.

I've been applying for positions at London universities over the past two months and have had nothing but rejections. I worked for my university during my master's degree and then shortly after in a temporary position that finished in May. I've applied for different types of positions, ranging from communications officer to student administrator. Again, it's rejection central and I'm cruising down the highway.

My hit rate for similar positions (i.e. charities) is quite high so I'm not overly fussed but it seems like a strange issue. I get the impression they might be extremely selective about who works for them, or that they might prioritise people who graduated from the university itself. This of course worked in my own favour previously so it's something I suspect.

Do we have anybody here who works for one and can shed light on the subject?

Preempting the response, yes It's possible my cover letter is total crap. They don't usually accept CVs.
Last edited by DuckDodgers; 4 weeks ago
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Could be that they've only got one place behind each job title, and, this being London, there are lots of qualified candidates that want it

It's also possible that they're not really in need of e.g. a student administrator, but are leaving the position open in case an exceptional candidate comes along

Could be that you're not a good candidate or that you're not coming across as one due to your cover letter or whatever

Charities often underpay you and have higher turnover than full job positions
DuckDodgers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Could be that they've only got one place behind each job title, and, this being London, there are lots of qualified candidates that want it

It's also possible that they're not really in need of e.g. a student administrator, but are leaving the position open in case an exceptional candidate comes along

Could be that you're not a good candidate or that you're not coming across as one due to your cover letter or whatever

Charities often underpay you and have higher turnover than full job positions
This is true. The university jobs pay higher.
Last edited by DuckDodgers; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.41%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.52%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (86)
19.07%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.13%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.66%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.21%