Should students only apply to uni AFTER getting their A-level grades Watch

Poll: Should students only apply to uni after results day?
Yes (6)
50%
No (6)
50%
candokoala
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
From The Telegraph: "The university entrance system could be overhauled so students only apply after they have their A-level grades.

"The higher education watchdog, The Office for Students (OfS), is to launch a major review later this year into the university admissions system.

"It follows concern from ministers that universities have been engaging in “unethical” practises such as “pressure selling” unconditional offers to students.

"While the OfS cannot dictate how individual universities make their offers, they are able to change the structures that govern the admissions system.

"A review is likely to consider whether a post-qualifications admission system should be set up, where students only apply to university after receiving their A-levels.

"This would remove the problem of institutions handing out unconditional offers which can lead to students slacking with their school work since they have a university place guaranteed.

"It would also solve the solve the issue of unreliable predicted grades, where universities complain that teachers make unrealistic forecasts about what students are capable of achieving."

What do you think? Should the system be changed in this way?
student424
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes - the predicted grade system is ridiculous. I know some people that have been given grades that are most definitely higher than they really are capable of. A PQA system makes much more sense and is a lot fairer. There would then be no need for unconditionals. I personally know somebody who was offered one and they definitely took their foot of the gas for revision! I also know somebody who thinks he's the bees-knees because he has one - hasn't stopped too think of the reality of it in that its not a popular course and the uni needs bums on seats!
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No, unless ucas can process thousands of applications after results day but before uni term time starts. Many people aren't privileged enough to take a gap year and those who say find work need to realise how hard it is to find even part time retail work.
My predicted grades were actually lower than what I got, predicted AAA achieved A*AA. Am sure there is an issue with overpredicting but those schools should be penalised rather than forcing everyone to apply after results. If we still had AS levels those were a good indicator for how someone might do at A2 but alas the government thought it was a great idea to scrap them so now unis only have GCSEs and predictions to go on
Routeri
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No, unconditional offers should be scraped. The whole school year would have to be rearranged and that's more hassle than it's worth if students had to apply after they got their results.
username4691980
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Think it would be very difficult to process thousands of UCAS applications so soon between results day and when University terms normally start.I say no to the original question.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would say yes, but start university in January rather than September, to give the application longer. That way people would have a longer break in between, and chance to get things done, or to work for a little while to save up, and that could also be when university open days were held to give people a chance to think about what they wanted to do, and interviews could be held then, too.
_gcx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It would be ideal - but no-one's willing to change to accomodate it so it has to stick as it is. Pretty sure universities were consulted as to this and the majority opposed it.

The pressure selling thing always frustrates me because it encourages students to be unambitious. (you see students on here and on reddit actively seeking one which almost inevitably would involve them punching below their weight) I don't see any legitimate reason why a pre-qualification applicant would receive an unconditional offer. Rather than changing the whole system it would be a lot easier to crack down on universities making such offers.
Last edited by _gcx; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
13.74%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (75)
15.86%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (94)
19.87%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (188)
39.75%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.44%
No particular grades needed (30)
6.34%