SCITT/School Direct...what's the difference? Watch

FolkPixie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi!

I am planning to go into teacher training next year 2020...my plan is to volunteer at a school this year (whilst my daughter is part time in nursery) for experience and then start training the following September (when shes at school full time).

My preference is for a school-centred route, just because I feel I'd personally get more out of it this way. I do have an invite to a Teach First selection day at the end of this month (and that's my preferred option) but I'm looking ahead to what I could apply for if I don't get a place....

My options seem to be either School Direct or SCITT and I'm confused as to the difference? I'm based in Doncaster and both are provided by the Doncaster ITT partnership and both are based in the same lead schools & it says on their website that they don't differentiate between the two....

So is there any difference at all? Or would I be better opting to go for a PGCE? Is that seen as a higher qualification?

Any help deciphering it all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Becky x
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by FolkPixie)
Hi!

I am planning to go into teacher training next year 2020...my plan is to volunteer at a school this year (whilst my daughter is part time in nursery) for experience and then start training the following September (when shes at school full time).

My preference is for a school-centred route, just because I feel I'd personally get more out of it this way. I do have an invite to a Teach First selection day at the end of this month (and that's my preferred option) but I'm looking ahead to what I could apply for if I don't get a place....

My options seem to be either School Direct or SCITT and I'm confused as to the difference? I'm based in Doncaster and both are provided by the Doncaster ITT partnership and both are based in the same lead schools & it says on their website that they don't differentiate between the two....

So is there any difference at all? Or would I be better opting to go for a PGCE? Is that seen as a higher qualification?

Any help deciphering it all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Becky x
It sounds like in this case there's not much difference between the two options! There may be a slight difference in the balance of time you spend on placement, for example. To be honest, there's often a lot of flexibility in how schools direct courses are run, depending on provider, so they can be very similar to SCITTs, or they can be more university led and closer to a PGCE. Another difference is that obviously Schools Direct offers a salaried option and may give you slightly more control over which is your "home school"?

The PGCE can be useful in some cases- if you think you might want to top up to a full masters and go into education research, for example. It can also be useful if you want to teach abroad. However, in the UK, it won't make much difference to your employment prospects. If you think you'd prefer a school centred route, that's what you should go for!
FolkPixie
Rep:
?
Brilliant thank you....I wouldn't qualify for the salaried option on School Direct as I think you have to have 3 years experience.
Perhaps it is just due the balance of time as you say...
After reading about it again it seems both School Direct and SCITT offer an option to add a PGCE to them which is studied part time in addition to the QTS training so that could be an option....
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
It sounds like in this case there's not much difference between the two options! There may be a slight difference in the balance of time you spend on placement, for example. To be honest, there's often a lot of flexibility in how schools direct courses are run, depending on provider, so they can be very similar to SCITTs, or they can be more university led and closer to a PGCE. Another difference is that obviously Schools Direct offers a salaried option and may give you slightly more control over which is your "home school"?

The PGCE can be useful in some cases- if you think you might want to top up to a full masters and go into education research, for example. It can also be useful if you want to teach abroad. However, in the UK, it won't make much difference to your employment prospects. If you think you'd prefer a school centred route, that's what you should go for!
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Brilliant thank you....I wouldn't qualify for the salaried option on School Direct as I think you have to have 3 years experience.
Perhaps it is just due the balance of time as you say...
After reading about it again it seems both School Direct and SCITT offer an option to add a PGCE to them which is studied part time in addition to the QTS training so that could be an option....
Yeah definitely- the one thing I would say with the PGCE is if it's being assessed by people you don't have much contact with (I believe they have to be assessed/awarded by a uni) then this can make it harder to pass assignments. However, usually you can drop the PGCE part way through the year if it's becoming a problem.
FolkPixie
Rep:
?
...Having read a bit more on UCAS and on the D of E site, it seems that in schools direct, the schools themselves select the candidates rather than the university they're partnered with whereas in SCITT it would be Doncaster ITT selecting the candidates rather than the schools they're partnered with....and that seems to be the sole main difference.

It also seems that there's more of a commitment by the schools in Schools Direct to make job offers to the candidates that complete the qualification & meet their requirements. So maybe worth swerving that way if Teach First doesn't come through....a couple of different schools/partnerships seem to offer Schools Direct in my area x
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
...Having read a bit more on UCAS and on the D of E site, it seems that in schools direct, the schools themselves select the candidates rather than the university they're partnered with whereas in SCITT it would be Doncaster ITT selecting the candidates rather than the schools they're partnered with....and that seems to be the sole main difference.

It also seems that there's more of a commitment by the schools in Schools Direct to make job offers to the candidates that complete the qualification & meet their requirements. So maybe worth swerving that way if Teach First doesn't come through....a couple of different schools/partnerships seem to offer Schools Direct in my area x
I'm not sure how much of an advantage Schools Direct gives you in terms of getting employment- when I was training, Schools Direct candidates were offered interviews by their trusts as standard, but they didn't get preference beyond this- and depending on your subject, you probably won't find it that hard to get interviews.

You get 3 initial options in your UCAS application, and these could be a mix of Schools Direct and the SCITT if you wanted. You could then decide after you've been to the interview days which would give you more of a feel for each?
FolkPixie
Rep:
?
Probably just DofE giving it a bit of a positive spin then...they make it sound like you're more or less guaranteed a job afterwards...

Hopefully, all goes well a week on Monday at my Teach First selection day but if not then at least I'm a little clearer as to what my options are.
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
I'm not sure how much of an advantage Schools Direct gives you in terms of getting employment- when I was training, Schools Direct candidates were offered interviews by their trusts as standard, but they didn't get preference beyond this- and depending on your subject, you probably won't find it that hard to get interviews.

You get 3 initial options in your UCAS application, and these could be a mix of Schools Direct and the SCITT if you wanted. You could then decide after you've been to the interview days which would give you more of a feel for each?
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Probably just DofE giving it a bit of a positive spin then...they make it sound like you're more or less guaranteed a job afterwards...

Hopefully, all goes well a week on Monday at my Teach First selection day but if not then at least I'm a little clearer as to what my options are.
Unfortunately not- I do know someone who did Schools Direct this year who really struggled to get a job (she did eventually find one) despite being given interviews by a number of schools in the teaching alliance. Depending on age and subject, though, finding a job isn't usually too difficult

Good luck for Teach First- I'm sure you'll smash it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.41%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.52%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (86)
19.07%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.13%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.66%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise