Help Help Help Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am going to try to break this down to the best of my ability, otherwise it would be a very long post...

- My computer broke down the night before my thesis was due, and I immediately panicked because it’s a very important grading criteria. I then emailed my tutor explaining what happened and she was well aware of how much hard work I put into it. I was advised to apply for mitigating circumstances by my tutor and after me questioning her if this was the best route, as loss of work is not always acceptable as a reason, she suggested it should be accepted.

Sometime later, my appeal got denied and I was informed it was due to my Module Leader not being in office at the time the appeal was processed.

I went back to my tutor to enquire if it would be possible to repeat the year, and he came back with statistics suggesting that only 5% of those who repeat the year improve their grade. Nonetheless, she suggested I should resit during the summer period, but failed to inform me this resit would be capped at 40%, and because I’d already passed some modules I couldn’t improve those.
From the beginning of the year the “well being team” was well aware of issues I was going through and referred me to a psychologist. I was suffering severe stress and was prescribed sleeping pills by my GP to help me sleep as I couldn’t rest at night, so retaking my second semester and being capped at 40% during the summer is not viable.
The university have admitted they’ve misinformed me and have apologised, however, they have denied the change for me to get the best grade possible, and I am looking at graduating with a 2-2 or a Third when I was capable of getting a First class honours.

Is there anyone I can seek help from ? Or what can I do ?

Sorry if this might be confusing. Feel free to ask anything

Thank you
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am going to try to break this down to the best of my ability, otherwise it would be a very long post...

- My computer broke down the night before my thesis was due, and I immediately panicked because it’s a very important grading criteria. I then emailed my tutor explaining what happened and she was well aware of how much hard work I put into it. I was advised to apply for mitigating circumstances by my tutor and after me questioning her if this was the best route, as loss of work is not always acceptable as a reason, she suggested it should be accepted.

Sometime later, my appeal got denied and I was informed it was due to my Module Leader not being in office at the time the appeal was processed.

I went back to my tutor to enquire if it would be possible to repeat the year, and he came back with statistics suggesting that only 5% of those who repeat the year improve their grade. Nonetheless, she suggested I should resit during the summer period, but failed to inform me this resit would be capped at 40%, and because I’d already passed some modules I couldn’t improve those.
From the beginning of the year the “well being team” was well aware of issues I was going through and referred me to a psychologist. I was suffering severe stress and was prescribed sleeping pills by my GP to help me sleep as I couldn’t rest at night, so retaking my second semester and being capped at 40% during the summer is not viable.
The university have admitted they’ve misinformed me and have apologised, however, they have denied the change for me to get the best grade possible, and I am looking at graduating with a 2-2 or a Third when I was capable of getting a First class honours.

Is there anyone I can seek help from ? Or what can I do ?

Sorry if this might be confusing. Feel free to ask anything

Thank you
1. Why didnt you have a backup and just work on someone elses pc?
2. You left it with less than a day to go.
3. You should appeal the original decision stating it was unfair because the person with knowledge of the situation and best able to make fair assessment was not on the panel.
4. To be allowed to repeat the year you would need a further extenuating circumstances claim.
5. By reading the rules or posting on here then you should have known resits are capped at 40% and you could have made an enquiry on this.
6. If the university has formally apologised then make a complaint that the apology is meaningless if they dont take remedial measure to restore your opportunity.

i) see student adviser.
ii) read the uni rules.
iii) make either an appeal on defects within the decision and a complaint as to the way its been handled. Different procedures for both.
iv) Depending what year you are in, then cash out and transfer to a different course or uni.
v) If appeal fails you can talk to the OIA.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm sorry, but are you saying that you didn't have a single back-up file???
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (219)
12.46%
Excited (165)
9.39%
Worried (308)
17.52%
Terrified (388)
22.07%
Meh (180)
10.24%
Confused (38)
2.16%