The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

leicester

how grim/ boring/ unsafe is leicester for students?
Compared to what?

I live here and find it alright, I didn’t apply for uni here though cause I wanted to experience another city.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
compared to other student cities like birmingham, manchester, cardiff, nottingham, bristol.

are there loads of immigrants too? i don't have a huge problem with it but I don't really want to be a minority as a white british person
Original post by Anonymous
Compared to what?

I live here and find it alright, I didn’t apply for uni here though cause I wanted to experience another city.
compared to other student cities like birmingham, manchester, cardiff, nottingham, bristol.

are there loads of immigrants too? i don't have a huge problem with it but I don't really want to be a minority as a white british person

I’d personally say Leicester isn’t as nice as any of those other cities you’ve mentioned and probably isn’t as fun as any of them either except for Cardiff. I’d say it’s fairly safe too, safer than those except for probably Bristol & Cardiff.

Yeah there’s a fair amount of immigrants here (mostly indian) but I don’t think it’s got as many as Birmingham does. Probably a similar amount to Notts/Manchester. I’m not sure about the demographics of uni of Leicester though.

I think your best bet would be to just visit each city if that’s possible. Imo Bristol is by far the best student city on your list.
Reply 4
Thanks. I've heard good things about Cardiff and people say it's fun haha.
I’d personally say Leicester isn’t as nice as any of those other cities you’ve mentioned and probably isn’t as fun as any of them either except for Cardiff. I’d say it’s fairly safe too, safer than those except for probably Bristol & Cardiff.

Yeah there’s a fair amount of immigrants here (mostly indian) but I don’t think it’s got as many as Birmingham does. Probably a similar amount to Notts/Manchester. I’m not sure about the demographics of uni of Leicester though.

I think your best bet would be to just visit each city if that’s possible. Imo Bristol is by far the best student city on your list.
Is it grim? A little bit. Being in a student bubble on the nice side means you tend to avoid the grimness but I found it also meant students didn't have much motivation to leave campus, which I didn't like personally. It's worse because the amenities are lacking (e.g. no student bar).

Is it safe? Actually, yes. I found Leicester to be one of the safest places I've lived. Then again, I didn't live in Evington.

Is it boring? Oh god yes.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by DuckDodgers
Is it grim? A little bit. Being in a student bubble on the nice side means you tend to avoid the grimness but I found it also meant students didn't have much motivation to leave campus, which I didn't like personally. It's worse because the amenities are lacking (e.g. no student bar).

Is it safe? Actually, yes. I found Leicester to be one of the safest places I've lived. Then again, I didn't live in Evington.

Is it boring? Oh god yes.

I had the same question as OP.

Are you safe walking to and from uni with a laptop and stuff like that?

What degree were you doing? I will be doing medicine so not sure how much time i would even have to go wandering around the city anyway so I'm not sure how much of a part that plays for me. Do you know any med students at leicester and if they like it?

What was boring about it?
Reply 7
Hey, I'm currently a first year medic in Leicester. I personally feel safe walking around with my laptop. You will definitely have a lot of time to walk around the city as most days start at 9 and end at 1, and even on some 9-5 days you get plenty of time to go out during lunch.

In terms of if I like the uni, I feel like the dedicated medicine building is nice but if I was to change anything, I would live in city living as opposed to in the student village as it was simply too far in my opinion.
Original post by alex22wills

What degree were you doing? I will be doing medicine so not sure how much time i would even have to go wandering around the city anyway so I'm not sure how much of a part that plays for me. Do you know any med students at leicester and if they like it?

Original post by jp14utd
Hey, I'm currently a first year medic in Leicester. I personally feel safe walking around with my laptop. You will definitely have a lot of time to walk around the city as most days start at 9 and end at 1, and even on some 9-5 days you get plenty of time to go out during lunch.

In terms of if I like the uni, I feel like the dedicated medicine building is nice but if I was to change anything, I would live in city living as opposed to in the student village as it was simply too far in my opinion.

Do you find that extra time in the afternoon really helpful to make revision notes. What's your opinion on the course structure and workload at the university?
Yeah, it is a bit irritating that walk but I've heard the social life is better than in city living. Could be wrong though. Did you take the bus and was there a wait? I have accommodation for a large room in Rocklands house, do you know if this is good or not haha?

Sorry for all these questions! I hope you don't mind.
It is safe. People say walking through Victoria Park can be iffy but I never saw anything bad myself, and that includes walking home at 1am with nobody around. I'll add the caveat that it might be different if you're a girl but that's pure conjecture on my part.

I graduated two years ago. Studied sociology. I knew a few med students and they really liked it. Leicester has an entire building that's just for them - and quite frankly it's the most impressive building on campus. Always got a good vibe in there.

I think Leicester is boring because it doesn't have that much going on. When I looked into going, I came to the conclusion that it sounded interesting but living there made me realise there's nothing about the city centre that stands out, nor are there many arts/cultural events except the Diwali festival. It's much less arty and modern than its most direct comparison Nottingham, and also less broad in what it offers than a culturally similar place like Birmingham. If you're a student who's happy doing student things then you could well be fine but if you want to balance a uni-life with a non-uni life then I don't think Leicester can offer it.

I also think the student societies are kinda crap. At DMU, I found out about a bunch of things like a game development team who put on retro gaming nights at a pub in the city centre. Leicester doesn't have anything that compares as it feels like all of the attention goes into sports.

I hope this helps. A more holistic opinion is that Leicester isn't a bad university - it's just that it's difficult to spend more than a year here.

Original post by alex22wills

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by DuckDodgers
It is safe. People say walking through Victoria Park can be iffy but I never saw anything bad myself, and that includes walking home at 1am with nobody around. I'll add the caveat that it might be different if you're a girl but that's pure conjecture on my part.

I graduated two years ago. Studied sociology. I knew a few med students and they really liked it. Leicester has an entire building that's just for them - and quite frankly it's the most impressive building on campus. Always got a good vibe in there.

I think Leicester is boring because it doesn't have that much going on. When I looked into going, I came to the conclusion that it sounded interesting but living there made me realise there's nothing about the city centre that stands out, nor are there many arts/cultural events except the Diwali festival. It's much less arty and modern than its most direct comparison Nottingham, and also less broad in what it offers than a culturally similar place like Birmingham. If you're a student who's happy doing student things then you could well be fine but if you want to balance a uni-life with a non-uni life then I don't think Leicester can offer it.

I also think the student societies are kinda crap. At DMU, I found out about a bunch of things like a game development team who put on retro gaming nights at a pub in the city centre. Leicester doesn't have anything that compares as it feels like all of the attention goes into sports.

I hope this helps. A more holistic opinion is that Leicester isn't a bad university - it's just that it's difficult to spend more than a year here.

This is interesting to know, thanks a lot.
No problem. It should go of course go without saying that it's just my opinion.

I'll also add that lecturers are supportive. For me, they were the best thing about the university.

This is interesting to know, thanks a lot.
Reply 12
If ur black it’s fun
Where did that come from?
Original post by m2b
If ur black it’s fun

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending