Should I apply to university? Watch

daisyashford
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I’ve just finished my A levels in biology, maths and further maths but I haven’t applied to university because I was never sure what course I wanted to do. Over the past couple months I’ve started to wish I had applied for this year as I’ve realised that I’d be interested in doing a neuroscience course at Exeter uni. The only problem is that I’d need AAB-ABB and I don’t think I’ve got anywhere near this in my exams but I guess I won’t know until results day. Is it worth applying through clearing because I do really want to go to uni this year or should I not bother?
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by daisyashford)
So I’ve just finished my A levels in biology, maths and further maths but I haven’t applied to university because I was never sure what course I wanted to do. Over the past couple months I’ve started to wish I had applied for this year as I’ve realised that I’d be interested in doing a neuroscience course at Exeter uni. The only problem is that I’d need AAB-ABB and I don’t think I’ve got anywhere near this in my exams but I guess I won’t know until results day. Is it worth applying through clearing because I do really want to go to uni this year or should I not bother?
Is that course in clearing?
daisyashford
Rep:
?
How do I check?
(Original post by random_matt)
Is that course in clearing?
f_841
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How do I check?
This link shows all the courses that are in clearing , type the course name into the box and hope it shows up!

https://digital.ucas.com/search

Definitely make an application at least and see what your options are coke results day if I were you, it's worth trying x
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How do I check?
Just checked, it is. I would call them, their email response is atrocious.
daisyashford
Rep:
?
Thank you, it’s on there! I’m assuming universities like to fill their courses because of making money but if my grades are too far off the entry requirements would they not consider me at all? I don’t want to have false hope and apply but then again it could be worth trying? x
(Original post by f_841)
This link shows all the courses that are in clearing , type the course name into the box and hope it shows up!

https://digital.ucas.com/search

Definitely make an application at least and see what your options are coke results day if I were you, it's worth trying x
daisyashford
Rep:
?
Thank you!
(Original post by random_matt)
Just checked, it is. I would call them, their email response is atrocious.
f_841
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If the requirements are ABB and you get BBB I really think they'd consider you tbh, especially if you get Bs in science subjects. No matter what you get you should try and don't definitely look at other unis that might have lower requirements. You never know where you'll end up tbh and it could suit you in the end x
Thank you, it’s on there! I’m assuming universities like to fill their courses because of making money but if my grades are too far off the entry requirements would they not consider me at all? I don’t want to have false hope and apply but then again it could be worth trying? x
daisyashford
Rep:
?
I just looked on this website https://vacancies.exeter.ac.uk/clearing/exeter-home/ and when I click on neuroscience it says the entry requirements are BCC even though the original requirements are AAB-ABB, is there a reason for this or am I looking at the wrong thing? x
(Original post by f_841)
If the requirements are ABB and you get BBB I really think they'd consider you tbh, especially if you get Bs in science subjects. No matter what you get you should try and don't definitely look at other unis that might have lower requirements. You never know where you'll end up tbh and it could suit you in the end x
f_841
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A lot of universities will bring down the requirements in clearing, so it's great if they have
I just looked on this website https://vacancies.exeter.ac.uk/clearing/exeter-home/ and when I click on neuroscience it says the entry requirements are BCC even though the original requirements are AAB-ABB, is there a reason for this or am I looking at the wrong thing? x
daisyashford
Rep:
?
I thought it was too good to be true when I saw it! Thank you so much for all your help!
(Original post by f_841)
A lot of universities will bring down the requirements in clearing, so it's great if they have
f_841
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No problem, best of luck. I Hope you get in!
I thought it was too good to be true when I saw it! Thank you so much for all your help!
Uni of Exeter
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi daisyashford. Great that you are interested in studying Neuroscience at Exeter and you are right, it is in currently in clearing. You have found the right information on our Clearing pages, but, as you are awaiting your results, please make sure that you pre-register with us (www.exeter.ac.uk/clearing/pre-register/) and we will keep you updated with all the information that you need right up to results day. Good luck!
Karen
daisyashford
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, although I’m awaiting my results am I still able to contact Exeter now in hope to get an informal offer or do I have to wait until results day?
(Original post by Uni of Exeter)
Hi daisyashford. Great that you are interested in studying Neuroscience at Exeter and you are right, it is in currently in clearing. You have found the right information on our Clearing pages, but, as you are awaiting your results, please make sure that you pre-register with us (www.exeter.ac.uk/clearing/pre-register/) and we will keep you updated with all the information that you need right up to results day. Good luck!
Karen
Uni of Exeter
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi. Clearing is currently only open for students who already have their results. The best thing to do is pre-register (link in my initial post) with us and you will be the first to get notification of courses in Clearing, advice about calling us on results day, information about accommodation and details about how to visit us, including Clearing visit days. As you will be on our radar and have all the information how to make your application once you know your grades.
Karen
daisyashford
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you, I’ve pre-registered through the link you gave me. Is it correct that the entry requirements for neuroscience through clearing are now BCC?
(Original post by Uni of Exeter)
Hi. Clearing is currently only open for students who already have their results. The best thing to do is pre-register (link in my initial post) with us and you will be the first to get notification of courses in Clearing, advice about calling us on results day, information about accommodation and details about how to visit us, including Clearing visit days. As you will be on our radar and have all the information how to make your application once you know your grades.
Karen
Uni of Exeter
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi - I contacted Admissions to get an update for you about the position for Neuroscience. This is their reply:

"The grades shown on our Undergraduate webpages are our Typical offers, eg for Neuroscience our typical offer for 2019 entry has been AAB-ABB. This does not mean that anyone with predicted grades outside of this range would not have received an offer.

The grades we are looking for in Clearing are sometimes lower for some programmes as this will depend on how a cohort has performed (how many have met the offer they have been given) against the number of spaces we have left on a particular programme and the lowest offers we have been able to make throughout the year. We are sometimes able to be more flexible with our offers in Clearing as someone applying through Clearing will have achieved their grades, removing the uncertainty of whether someone will meet their offer or not."

Please be assured that you have done the right thing by pre-registering and that you have put yourself in the best position that you can prior to receiving your results.
Karen
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (190)
12.76%
Excited (122)
8.19%
Worried (279)
18.74%
Terrified (343)
23.04%
Meh (123)
8.26%
Confused (35)
2.35%