The Student Room Group

Apply for a masters when failed à module

Hi everyone!
I got two conditional offers for Master's courses but when I got my final results in July, I found out that I failed one of the modules. I can resubmit the assignment in August, but that'd mean I graduate in December (masters supposed to start in September). Wanted to ask if anyone has faced this problem before and how you dealt with it. Is it possible to start a masters before you get your degree?
Original post by brigitte96
Hi everyone!
I got two conditional offers for Master's courses but when I got my final results in July, I found out that I failed one of the modules. I can resubmit the assignment in August, but that'd mean I graduate in December (masters supposed to start in September). Wanted to ask if anyone has faced this problem before and how you dealt with it. Is it possible to start a masters before you get your degree?

You graduate the moment the university recognises you have done so, that is likely to eb way before the actual ceremony.
Ask your uni when the resit would be marked by and ask registry the earliest you might get your transcript by. It might be it can be managed before your start date for the masters. If so you could still get away with things. If not then you havent competed your degree and are unlikely to have met your offer.
Original post by brigitte96
Hi everyone!

Is this module important (i.e can you still graduate with it being a fail)? Is it a requirement from your current and prospective unis that you need to pass all modules, including any failed ones?

Unless you can start the Master's in January, full-time, it looks like you won't be going on to do your Master's until next Sept.

But, if you can leave the failed module and still graduate without it affecting your final classification, then I would email the prospective unis and ask if the failed module would have any influence over their final decision to accept you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending