Khalid awad
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I did edexcel A levels this may and I'm waiting on results in mid august
I did only 3 subjects (Chem, phy and math).
5A* and 1A for Cambridge IGCSE and 3 A for edexcel AS.
Im Sri lankan and I want to go abroad for undergrad studies
I am on a very low budget tho as my families financial situation isn't great.
I don't have the best extracurriculars as I was only in my current school for AS and A levels and couldn't really get into a sports team etc in that time.
Are there any universities or options u guys would recommend for someone in my situation that would need A LOT of financial aid or atleast a 75% scholarship? Places in like Malaysia/Australia offer 25% scholarships but it is still not within by budget
Last edited by Khalid awad; 2 years ago
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Universities in the UK don't offer much financial aid towards overseas students - there are scholarships but they tend to have strict criteria, and they usually don't cover most of the fees. Bursaries are also limited to home students. You don't need to worry about extra-curriculars though, as universities don't care about them as much as they do in other countries.

Conversely, some American unis are a lot more generous with financial aid (e.g. MIT) but then they care about extra-curriculars a lot more.
Khalid awad
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Yes that's what I heard..so to afford a good uni in the US I'd have to get into a really high end one but it will be really hard cuz of my gap year(I won't be fresh out of high-school) and cuz of my lack of ECs..
So I need to look for unis in like Aus, Canada, malaysia etc
Ligretto Cowboy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My cousin is from Malaysia so I know a bit about overseas. One thing I know is that Oxford offers “Reach Oxford Scholarship” but that one sounds really hard, offering only 2 scholarships for 40+ countries. My cousin got a full first-year scholarship at Oxford from the British Council through some sort of English language test. But compared to that there is Australian Government Scholarship in Australia. Australia would be a better choice if you’re looking for a scholarship than UK. You can come to Blighty for postgrad where there’re loads of financial supports. But try US as well, tho I don’t know much about it.
Currently, I think Oxford is the only uni in the U.K. to give full scholarships to overseas (Non-EU) students which is only a few.

Edit : The British Council one is for all unis in the U.K, not only Oxford.
2nd Edit: Australian Government Scholarship is a full one.
Last edited by Ligretto Cowboy; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (68)
30.91%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (26)
11.82%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.18%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.45%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.27%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.36%

Watched Threads