Is there a limit to how long F1s can work consecutively? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Starting F1 in Wales- have period within the next few weeks where I'm working 11 days consecutively (days 1-5 as normal working days, then days 6-7 as weekends on call, then days 8-11 as night shift on call)!

Am I going to have to suck it up? Joke's on them to be honest as I'll have no bloody idea what I'm doing anyway ;-)
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you were in England then I think this wouldn't be allowed, but Wales hasn't gone onto the new contract so I think this is technically ok. Sounds pretty brutal though!
girl_in_black
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Starting F1 in Wales- have period within the next few weeks where I'm working 11 days consecutively (days 1-5 as normal working days, then days 6-7 as weekends on call, then days 8-11 as night shift on call)!

Am I going to have to suck it up? Joke's on them to be honest as I'll have no bloody idea what I'm doing anyway ;-)
I work in Scotland rather than Wales, but that rota does sound plausible - you are supposed to get at least 24 hours of consecutive rest in 1 week and it sounds like your rota does comply with that (you would get more than 24 hour hours off when you switch from days to nights between day 7 and day 8).
ahorey
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve a couple of sections where I work for 12 days full on -
mon-thurs 9-5,
Fri & sat 9am - 9.30pm,
Sunday & Monday 9-5,
Tuesday 9-9.30,
wed-fri 9-5.
Smile88egc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Devolved nations are on 2002 contract where max consecutive shifts is 12.
England are on 2016 contract where it's max 8 consecutive shifts, soon to be max 7 consecutive shifts (with a caveat it can be 8 in a row with the consent of all the junior docs on that rota).
fishfacesimpson
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I used to do 12 days in a row quite regularly on Cmt and also had a job with 7 nights. Both were brutal. I think 7 days in a row with a weekend of long days and then immediately swapping to nights might be worse. Although it's allowed in Wales, surely the dept need to find a solution. Switching from days to nights is hard and to do it with a level of fatigue already on board is particularly difficult.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Brutal, but allowed.

This is the kind of thing you start paying attention to when choosing speciality and hospital to work in!
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not being funny, but you’re an adult now. Part of being an adult is reading and knowing the terms and conditions of your employment.
seaholme
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That is one good outcome of the new contract, I remember 12 shifts in a row was really grim.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (190)
12.74%
Excited (123)
8.25%
Worried (279)
18.71%
Terrified (343)
23%
Meh (124)
8.32%
Confused (35)
2.35%