How should I revise for GCSE English Literature? Watch

theJoyfulGeek
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi guys,

English (literature) is my worst subject by a lot. In my Y10 mocks, I only got an 8 in it and not even a high 8. (I got high 9s in all of my other subjects except computer science, which was A*. (I don't know whether it was an 8 or 9))

I have English language under control, as I read a lot of books, so I know lots of vocabulary. I also speak several languages, so I can guess words which I don't know.

However, I have no idea for how to revise for English language, especially for the section on a whole book. I can do poetry rather well. I'm also okayish at unseen, but whole novel?! How do I decide which quotes to memorise? Do I just try and learn the whole book off by heart?! I have good class notes - how do I decide what is relevant and what isn't? Should I make mindmaps? I have never revised English before in my whole life as I have always avoided anything involving the whole novel instead of a passage... WHAT DO I DO? PLEASE HELP!!
fathomsss
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, my best piece of advice is to read your texts. AQA recommends that you read each text 4 times over in order to have a good comprehension of them as a whole.
Also, I’d say make mind maps for each relevant character and theme.

This is just what I personally did but I’d say you’ve got a whole year to improve and go up a grade so you should be fine just carrying on doing what your doing.
I hope this helps
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by fathomsss; 4 weeks ago
theJoyfulGeek
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much!!
(Original post by fathomsss)
Hi, my best piece of advice is to read your texts. AQA recommends that you read each text 4 times over in order to have a good comprehension of them as a whole.
Also, I’d say make mind maps for each relevant character and theme.

This is just what I personally did but I’d say you’ve got a whole year to improve and go up a grade so you should be fine just carrying on doing what your doing.
I hope this helps
Hazzabear
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Once you’ve learnt the content, recall your knowledge by doing past papers and exam questions

Good luck!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.54%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (69)
15.44%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (84)
18.79%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (180)
40.27%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.7%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.26%