Watching a surgery for the first time any advice Watch

Madelin
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m at work experience in a hospital and tomorrow I get to watch a orthopaedic surgery. I’m very nervous as I have never seen a surgery or anything in real life as I’m only 17 and people keep telling me how bad it is and it’s only made me more nervous
And advice?
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Madelin)
I’m at work experience in a hospital and tomorrow I get to watch a orthopaedic surgery. I’m very nervous as I have never seen a surgery or anything in real life as I’m only 17 and people keep telling me how bad it is and it’s only made me more nervous
And advice?
It's not something to be worried about They'll ask you to change into scrubs and theatre shoes, and you'll be told where to stand. Depending on the type of operation, you might be able to see what's going on by looking around the surgeon or it may be on a screen. The patient will be covered up with numerous drapes, so the actual operation site won't be as extensive as it seems on TV.

Sometimes people feel unwell when they observe operations - if this happens, make sure you tell someone and they can help you. This is pretty common and no one will be annoyed at you.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
And advice?
Remember, in addition to what @Democracy says, this is the time to see if you like things or not.

Work experience is not just a tick-box exercise, if you cannot see yourself doing stuff like this (you may well become a GP or a medical doctor; but you will still be asked to go into theatre as a junior doctor) then perhaps medicine isn't for you!
jzdzm
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
And advice?
Be nice to the runners and nurses, they are the ones who can answer questions and look after you. Do as you're told. Notice examples of good (or bad) team work and make notes afterwards, they may be useful if you apply for medicine and get interviews. Also you might like to chat to the anaesthetist, they have a very different role from the surgeon(s).
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Madelin
Rep:
?
Thank you this really helped I got to watch some interesting surgery’s
Madelin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)
It's not something to be worried about They'll ask you to change into scrubs and theatre shoes, and you'll be told where to stand. Depending on the type of operation, you might be able to see what's going on by looking around the surgeon or it may be on a screen. The patient will be covered up with numerous drapes, so the actual operation site won't be as extensive as it seems on TV.

Sometimes people feel unwell when they observe operations - if this happens, make sure you tell someone and they can help you. This is pretty common and no one will be annoyed at you.
Thank you this it was really helpful
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you this really helped I got to watch some interesting surgery’s
How much hammering and sawing was there.
Madelin
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
How much hammering and sawing was there.
So much I was in theatre all day and saw 5 surgeries but I surprised my self at how okay I was with it and I really enjoyed my day
sknudson
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You'll be up for watching an embalming procedure or two in no time. Congrats.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Operations, not surgeries!
Madelin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Helenia)
Operations, not surgeries!
I got told that yesterday but I don’t understand why?
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I got told that yesterday but I don’t understand why?
"Surgeries" makes you sound like you're trying out for a part on Grey's Anatomy It's operation in the UK.
Madelin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)
"Surgeries" makes you sound like you're trying out for a part on Grey's Anatomy It's operation in the UK.
Ha okay 😂
Jono*
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
try not to vomit in the patient.
HxshBrxwn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
For invasive procedures I found that the acc surgeon (unless they were the ones you got the work exp through) didn’t stick around too long and were busy during the procedure- speaking to the anaesthetists and others in the team is just valuable!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.51%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (69)
15.4%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (84)
18.75%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.4%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.69%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.25%