UCAS personal statement help for Medicine and Dentistry?!? Watch

jack451
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I wanted to apply to either medicine or dentistry but I'm still torn between the two. How should I write my personal statement for UCAS, should I mention both Medicine and dentistry and be specific with the work experience placements i gained and how they helped me in those fields or should I not be too specific but just mention my placements I worked in for Med and Dent and how it helped, as if I lean towards one in my statement, could this hinder my chances?
GANFYD
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jack451)
So I wanted to apply to either medicine or dentistry but I'm still torn between the two. How should I write my personal statement for UCAS, should I mention both Medicine and dentistry and be specific with the work experience placements i gained and how they helped me in those fields or should I not be too specific but just mention my placements I worked in for Med and Dent and how it helped, as if I lean towards one in my statement, could this hinder my chances?
I do not know about dentistry but a PS for medicine will expect you to specifically mention your WE and how this has helped inform your decision to study medicine and for it to showcase the skills required for this career. If you do not do so, this may be considered a "red flag" by med schools and result in them rejecting your application.
More relevantly, you need to decide which job you want to do, as they are very different and hedging your bets is likely to hinder your chances for either.
If you are still unsure, maybe consider a gap year where you can obtain more experience to help you decide?
Last edited by GANFYD; 1 month ago
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So I wanted to apply to either medicine or dentistry but I'm still torn between the two.
Why are you torn between the two? They are really different!

What did you think during work experience?

How should I write my personal statement for UCAS, should I mention both Medicine and dentistry and be specific with the work experience placements i gained and how they helped me in those fields or should I not be too specific but just mention my placements I worked in for Med and Dent and how it helped, as if I lean towards one in my statement, could this hinder my chances?
It could definitely hinder your chances, if you mention that you wanted to do medicine for a dentistry application and vice versa. Medical interviewers (same as dental interviewers) will not be happy with someone who's not 100% committed.
jack451
Rep:
?
lp
jack451
Rep:
?
Thank you for your explanation. The reason why I'm juggling between the two is due to the fact that I enjoyed both experiences however I want to stay in London, and for Dentistry there are only two (QM/KCL) but medicine is far too competitive. My school alone has a ratio of about 10:1 science students wanting to apply to medicine and that 1 being me. This was also evident at Work experience placement i had at QM where medicine substantially overhauled dentistry in hopeful applicants
(Original post by ecolier)
Why are you torn between the two? They are really different!

What did you think during work experience?

It could definitely hinder your chances, if you mention that you wanted to do medicine for a dentistry application and vice versa. Medical interviewers (same as dental interviewers) will not be happy with someone who's not 100% committed.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
...medicine is far too competitive...
(1) Who told you Dentistry is easier? Note: one school's experience is not representative, and there are much more medicine places than dental places (purely from a numbers point of view).

(2) It's unlikely that you can stay in London forever.

What's stopping you from applying for Unis outside London?

It makes things easier for you (not that out-of-London med / dental schools have less competition)
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
GANFYD
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for your explanation. The reason why I'm juggling between the two is due to the fact that I enjoyed both experiences however I want to stay in London, and for Dentistry there are only two (QM/KCL) but medicine is far too competitive. My school alone has a ratio of about 10:1 science students wanting to apply to medicine and that 1 being me. This was also evident at Work experience placement i had at QM where medicine substantially overhauled dentistry in hopeful applicants.
This is actually not the case. Imperial had the lowest number of applicants per place of any med school last year (3:1) and two thirds of those that applied were interviewed.
SGUL and Barts were both at the lower end of competition ratios (about 7:1). The competition for dentistry and medicine is pretty much the same.
It is also unlikely you will get to stay in London when it comes to foundation years and training schemes, so if medicine interests you, it might be worth looking further afield
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by GANFYD; 1 month ago
jack451
Rep:
?
Say if i end up applying to dentistry, does my UCAS have to be explicitly specific on Dentistry or could i generalise it and mention healthcare and talk about all my WE's ive done (GP, dentist, pharmacy) and how they have helped me to pursue a career? One more thing, is pharmacy good back up choice as one of my 5 options for MED/DENT?

(1) Who told you Dentistry is easier? Note: one school's experience is not representative, and there are much more medicine places than dental places (purely from a numbers point of view).

(2) It's unlikely that you can stay in London forever.

What's stopping you from applying for Unis outside London?

It makes things easier for you (not that out-of-London med / dental schools have less competition)
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Say if i end up applying to dentistry, does my UCAS have to be explicitly specific on Dentistry or could i generalise it and mention healthcare and talk about all my WE's ive done (GP, dentist, pharmacy) and how they have helped me to pursue a career?
Potentially, but be prepared (if you get an) at interview they ask why you went on GP / dentist work experience. You can of course say I was interested in Medicine but now I am only interested in Dentistry only (to a dentistry interviewer).

But if your personal statement is screened, and someone noted that you are not devoted to medicine or dentistry and your PS is wishy-washy, then you could just get straight rejected. Also if you applied to the same uni for both courses, then it doesn't look good either (if they know!).

One more thing, is pharmacy good back up choice as one of my 5 options for MED/DENT?
No, pharmacy is a seperate career. They do have people using them as backup though.

Biomedical sciences (and equivalent) are often used as medical backups and they will usually give you an offer.

Also, remember to look outside London! As me and @GANFYD have told you already it's not easy (but doable) to avoid not leaving London for foundation, core or specialty training.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
jack451
Rep:
?
Just to clarify, you would recommend Biomed as a 5th rather than pharmacy it's okay if i choose pharmacy?
Potentially, but be prepared (if you get an) at interview they ask why you went on GP / dentist work experience. You can of course say I was interested in Medicine but now I am only interested in Dentistry only (to a dentistry interviewer).

But if your personal statement is screened, and someone noted that you are not devoted to medicine or dentistry and your PS is wishy-washy, then you could just get straight rejected. Also if you applied to the same uni for both courses, then it doesn't look good either (if they know!).

No, pharmacy is a seperate career. They do have people using them as backup though.

Biomedical sciences (and equivalent) are often used as medical backups and they will usually give you an offer.

Also, remember to look outside London! As me and @GANFYD have told you already it's not easy (but doable) to avoid not leaving London for foundation, core or specialty training.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just to clarify, you would recommend Biomed as a 5th rather than pharmacy it's okay if i choose pharmacy?
It's OK but you may well get rejected (hence wasting a slot).
clouddbubbles
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Say if i end up applying to dentistry, does my UCAS have to be explicitly specific on Dentistry or could i generalise it and mention healthcare and talk about all my WE's ive done (GP, dentist, pharmacy) and how they have helped me to pursue a career? One more thing, is pharmacy good back up choice as one of my 5 options for MED/DENT?
what work experience did u do and how did u get it?
student0299
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve been through applying for both. DO NOT mention medicine in your dentistry personal statement. It shows them that you’re not 100% committed to the subject you’ll be studying for he next five years. If anything you can bring it up at interview and say you’ve looked at other careers and liked dentistry
I would strongly recommend you decide which one you want to do soon. They’re both very very competitive subjects and difficult subjects to study. It’s hard to apply for both because your personal statement has to be specific for either one. I know people who’ve tried to apply for both and just ended up getting rejected instead. If you need any help in deciding or any advice just PM me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.48%
Excited (156)
9.1%
Worried (306)
17.84%
Terrified (381)
22.22%
Meh (170)
9.91%
Confused (37)
2.16%