The Student Room Group

Why are my friends desperate for me to get into a relationship

I also want to ask this generally speaking, why are people always pushing their friends to be in a relationship after a tough break up? My friends have been telling me to get into another relationship already. My best friend even sent me a singles vacation trip website where singles go on vacation together. I'm only 23! I have told them to back off a bit but they still insist. It makes me feel like insecure about myself and reminds me of my past relationship the more they try and get me to hop into another one.
That's weird. People are just busybodies.
Anonymous #1

Hey just get on with being yourself ok,
Whatever you decide to do is you and only you can decide

You wish some space to yourselve for now and quite right to , tell your friends to mind their business and that when you are ready for to meet another man you'll do so at your pace

Take things easy for now and get your head clear on what you wish to do in life never mind men ( I persume you female ).
Reply 3
Sometimes people feel embarrassed when their friends are single. These are not the kind of people you want to have as your friends - it’s really **** of them to try and push you into another relationship when you’re not ready, just because it makes them look and feel better about themselves.

Having said that, I have the opposite problem. Most of my friends are in long-term relationships and/or jump from one girl to another with very short periods of being single in between. They’ve offered to help set me up with a girl but haven’t followed through cos they’re obviously busy with their own girlfriends. I find that people in relationships can become distanced from their friends very easily and become a lot less supportive. If you’ve been in a relationship for several months but you can see your friend is struggling with women, the natural thing to do is help them. But this logic goes out of the window when you have a girlfriend occupying all your time. I assume your friends have got a similar problem of being irrational towards you because being in relationships has changed their behaviour.
Reply 4
I never thought about that before. Why would people feel embarrassed that their friends are single? Sounds ridiculous to me. I get the whole 'I want my friend to find happiness too' but it should be up to the person to decide on that. Thank you for this, I feel like my eyes have been opened about something I hadn't seen there before.
Original post by asif007
Sometimes people feel embarrassed when their friends are single. These are not the kind of people you want to have as your friends - it’s really **** of them to try and push you into another relationship when you’re not ready, just because it makes them look and feel better about themselves.

Having said that, I have the opposite problem. Most of my friends are in long-term relationships and/or jump from one girl to another with very short periods of being single in between. They’ve offered to help set me up with a girl but haven’t followed through cos they’re obviously busy with their own girlfriends. I find that people in relationships can become distanced from their friends very easily and become a lot less supportive. If you’ve been in a relationship for several months but you can see your friend is struggling with women, the natural thing to do is help them. But this logic goes out of the window when you have a girlfriend occupying all your time. I assume your friends have got a similar problem of being irrational towards you because being in relationships has changed their behaviour.
Original post by Anonymous
I also want to ask this generally speaking, why are people always pushing their friends to be in a relationship after a tough break up? My friends have been telling me to get into another relationship already. My best friend even sent me a singles vacation trip website where singles go on vacation together. I'm only 23! I have told them to back off a bit but they still insist. It makes me feel like insecure about myself and reminds me of my past relationship the more they try and get me to hop into another one.

Some people think that you can only be happy if you're in a relationship, this could be it. They may think you're miserable because you're single, or that a new relationship would help you get over the touch break up.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I never thought about that before. Why would people feel embarrassed that their friends are single? Sounds ridiculous to me. I get the whole 'I want my friend to find happiness too' but it should be up to the person to decide on that. Thank you for this, I feel like my eyes have been opened about something I hadn't seen there before.

People won’t admit to this but when they’re in relationships, they sometimes don’t like to be associated with single people. They might think single people who aren’t attractive to the opposite sex, will embarrass their friends in the process. I can rely on my male friends most of the time, and they’re great when their girlfriends aren’t around. But when there are girls nearby, they’ll tell me not to act a certain way or to stop what I’m doing. I could be laughing at a joke that my male friends have told me, but they’ll try and turn away from me when girls are around. Anyone who changes their behaviour when girls are around, or tries to get you to do that, can’t be trusted. While I still value my friends at the best of times, I don’t like a lot of their mannerisms around girls.

I know already that I don’t do or have a lot of the things that girls find attractive. I’m not built huge, I don’t play football and I don’t step on other people or size anyone up to constantly prove myself the alpha male. What I don’t need is my friends constantly reminding me of that over and over again. I find that rather than help, friends can sometimes make us feel worse about being single. So you can’t rely on anyone except yourself to find a relationship and only when you’re fully ready, confident and committed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending