The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Third Year Economics Student - Failed one module - What happens? HELP

I am a third year Economics Student and I have achieved 100 credits this year except for the last 20 credits where I failed one component which was the exam.

Exam - 29%
Coursework - 61%

What happens now? Can this module be condoned? I calculated my total grade for this module and it turns out it is 37%. All my other modules are in the 55+. In the student handbook, this is what it says:

A module failed at the resit attempt may be assigned as condoned and receive full credit at the discretion of the Programme Assessment Board subject to the following limitations:
a) the student shall have attained a minimum overall module mark of 30%. Marks between 29.5 and 30 inclusive shall be regarded as 30% for this purpose;
b) no more than 20 credits may be condoned at each of levels F, H or 4 plus no more than 20 credits at levels 5/6 (or above) combined, with a maximum of 40 credits overall in any programme of study;
c) the following types of modules may not be condoned: modules required for professional accreditation of any type; modules with a value over 20 credits, and any modules specified within the Programme Specification as ineligible for condonement;
d) a student who has received accredited prior learning for any module(s) shall not be eligible for condonement;
e) condoned modules may not be used as APL;
f) condoned modules may not be repeated or reassessed in any way;
g) condoned modules may not be raised to a pass;
h) modules for a top-up stage on any course, cannot be condoned;
i) any modules failed due to academic misconduct, cannot be condoned;
j) modules at levels 6 or above may not be condoned if by so doing, the student’s classification average would be lower than 40%;
k) the student shall have already passed at least 100 credits from the relevant stage.
6.7.10 In the case of part-time students, a decision about whether a failed module will be condoned can be taken at the stage they accrue 100 credits, whether or not in the same academic year, provided they are within the overall permitted duration of the course.
6.7.11 Should a student have passed less than 100 credits from the relevant stage, as in 6.7.9k), but have met all the other criteria in 6.7.9, the Programme Assessment Board has the discretion to assign a module failed at the resit attempt as condoned. Exceptionally, should a student have failed only one condonable module at the first
attempt, the Assessment Board may condone that module without requiring the student to resit it.

Some guidance would be much appreciated please. Thank you.
Original post by Hussman95
I am a third year Economics Student and I have achieved 100 credits this year except for the last 20 credits where I failed one component which was the exam.

Exam - 29%
Coursework - 61%

What happens now? Can this module be condoned? I calculated my total grade for this module and it turns out it is 37%. All my other modules are in the 55+. In the student handbook, this is what it says:

A module failed at the resit attempt may be assigned as condoned and receive full credit at the discretion of the Programme Assessment Board subject to the following limitations:
a) the student shall have attained a minimum overall module mark of 30%. Marks between 29.5 and 30 inclusive shall be regarded as 30% for this purpose;
b) no more than 20 credits may be condoned at each of levels F, H or 4 plus no more than 20 credits at levels 5/6 (or above) combined, with a maximum of 40 credits overall in any programme of study;
c) the following types of modules may not be condoned: modules required for professional accreditation of any type; modules with a value over 20 credits, and any modules specified within the Programme Specification as ineligible for condonement;
d) a student who has received accredited prior learning for any module(s) shall not be eligible for condonement;
e) condoned modules may not be used as APL;
f) condoned modules may not be repeated or reassessed in any way;
g) condoned modules may not be raised to a pass;
h) modules for a top-up stage on any course, cannot be condoned;
i) any modules failed due to academic misconduct, cannot be condoned;
j) modules at levels 6 or above may not be condoned if by so doing, the student’s classification average would be lower than 40%;
k) the student shall have already passed at least 100 credits from the relevant stage.
6.7.10 In the case of part-time students, a decision about whether a failed module will be condoned can be taken at the stage they accrue 100 credits, whether or not in the same academic year, provided they are within the overall permitted duration of the course.
6.7.11 Should a student have passed less than 100 credits from the relevant stage, as in 6.7.9k), but have met all the other criteria in 6.7.9, the Programme Assessment Board has the discretion to assign a module failed at the resit attempt as condoned. Exceptionally, should a student have failed only one condonable module at the first
attempt, the Assessment Board may condone that module without requiring the student to resit it.

Some guidance would be much appreciated please. Thank you.

It’s over, you failed a module. You failed university, not allowed any retakes, you have bought shame to yourself and your family. You will never be anything in life. You are a Loser! Hang your head in shame!
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending