The Student Room Group

Are my GCSEs okay for Oxford PPE/Econ

Now, I know that Oxford view an applicant 'holistically' but from what I understand, they still take GCSEs into account. My GCSEs: (New System) [Old System - Just in case :tongue:]History - 8 [A*]English Lit. - 7 [A]RE - 7 [A]Biology - 7 [A]Chemistry - 7 [A]Physics - 7 [A]Computer Sci. - 7 [A]Maths - 6 English Lang. - 6 Music - 5 [B/C]French - 4 [C]Further Maths - C I know that these are, for the most part from what I've been told, are generally fairly good grades. But I feel as if the lower ones may drag me down ? Or is my head just exaggerating this ? ahaAlso, I feel that the Maths may drag me down ? For A Level I take Economics, Computer Science and Maths; for Eco
Oxford tends to look for GCSE grades 8-9 average, but really their main focus is A Level grades so i wouldn’t worry if you fall a little short of that
Hola clarkkent19,

GCSEs when taken are declared on the UCAS form and so they are a factor. The results are contextualised (ie compared with what is typical for the school attended at key stage 4). For guidance, last year nine applicants with fewer than to GCSEs at 8 or 9 were interviewed. We think it is quite likely that they either performed very well on the admissions test, or applied post-A level, or had extenuating circumstances/contextualised results.

Brasenose Admissions

Original post by clarkkent19
Now, I know that Oxford view an applicant 'holistically' but from what I understand, they still take GCSEs into account. My GCSEs: (New System) [Old System - Just in case :tongue:]History - 8 [A*]English Lit. - 7 [A]RE - 7 [A]Biology - 7 [A]Chemistry - 7 [A]Physics - 7 [A]Computer Sci. - 7 [A]Maths - 6 English Lang. - 6 Music - 5 [B/C]French - 4 [C]Further Maths - C I know that these are, for the most part from what I've been told, are generally fairly good grades. But I feel as if the lower ones may drag me down ? Or is my head just exaggerating this ? ahaAlso, I feel that the Maths may drag me down ? For A Level I take Economics, Computer Science and Maths; for Eco
Reply 3
Being honest, those are rather low GCSE grades individually, for Oxford, no grade 8s 9s at all is concerning. However did you go to a more “underperforming school”?
Ahhh, I appreciate the honesty :smile: I got an 8 in History but only the one aha. And I thought it was A's general (which was a 7 in new speak lol) but yes, it is the new ones now.

What constitutes an "underperforming school"? (I mean, it was a state school for starters if that means anything lol) I was looking at Oxford because from the start, I had excelled in Eco and Comp Sci above from where I had been targeted and have been doing much better in Maths than at the start. So after being guided by teachers to "look higher" (and being generally a bit of guy who like to have a shot at things aha) I looked at Oxford (I mean, where else if I'm looking higher right?! aha)

Original post by Deggs_14
Being honest, those are rather low GCSE grades individually, for Oxford, no grade 8s 9s at all is concerning. However did you go to a more “underperforming school”?
Original post by Deggs_14

Ahhh, I appreciate the honesty :smile: I got an 8 in History but only the one aha. And I thought it was A's general (which was a 7 in new speak lol) but yes, it is the new ones now.

What constitutes an "underperforming school"? (I mean, it was a state school for starters if that means anything lol) I was looking at Oxford because from the start, I had excelled in Eco and Comp Sci above from where I had been targeted and have been doing much better in Maths than at the start. So after being guided by teachers to "look higher" (and being generally a bit of guy who like to have a shot at things aha) I looked at Oxford (I mean, where else if I'm looking higher right?! aha)

Original post by Wallflower.
Oxford tends to look for GCSE grades 8-9 average, but really their main focus is A Level grades so i wouldn’t worry if you fall a little short of that

Ahhh, I guess this is somewhat reassuring; thanks :smile:
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Hola clarkkent19,

GCSEs when taken are declared on the UCAS form and so they are a factor. The results are contextualised (ie compared with what is typical for the school attended at key stage 4). For guidance, last year nine applicants with fewer than to GCSEs at 8 or 9 were interviewed. We think it is quite likely that they either performed very well on the admissions test, or applied post-A level, or had extenuating circumstances/contextualised results.

Brasenose Admissions

Ah thank you, I appreciate your response :smile: I guess at least, out of the nine last year, I've still got somewhat a chance?
Will have to ace this TSA in Oct ! aha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending