Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Got a bacterial infection in my mouth and I was wondering if penicillin/antibiotics will get rid of it (?)
I got 40 tablets btw
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Got a bacterial infection in my mouth and I was wondering if penicillin/antibiotics will get rid of it (?)
I got 40 tablets btw
How do you know it's bacterial? Have you done a swab?

Even if it's bacterial, how do you know it's going to be sensitive to Penicillin?

Go and see your GP please.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ecolier)
How do you know it's bacterial? Have you done a swab?

Even if it's bacterial, how do you know it's going to be sensitive to Penicillin?

Go and see your GP please.
I went to the gp and got prescribed penicillin x
Erm I suppose it’s bacterial (it’s tonsil stones) and I’m not really sure if it’s going to be sensitive to penicillin xx
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
if your doctor prescribed you the antibiotics then you should take them.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I went to the gp and got prescribed penicillin x
Erm I suppose it’s bacterial (it’s tonsil stones) and I’m not really sure if it’s going to be sensitive to penicillin xx
If you had a prescription from your GP, take it!

Unless you GP did a swab and sent it to the lab, it's likely that they made a clinical decision (that it's more likely than not that the bug is sensitive to penicillin).
Anonymous #1
If you had a prescription from your GP, take it!

Unless you GP did a swab and sent it to the lab, it's likely that they made a clinical decision (that it's more likely than not that the bug is sensitive to penicillin).
He told me to take after two days (after taking paracetamol) if they’re still not gone but I doubt they’ll go so I just want to start start taking them tomorrow :/
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
He told me to take after two days (after taking paracetamol) if they’re still not gone but I doubt they’ll go so I just want to start start taking them tomorrow :/
No, please follow the instructions of your GP.

The reason for what he said was because: non-bacterial causes of symptoms may go away sooner. If they do then there is no need to take the penicillin.

Penicillin is not without risks, taking it unnecessarily encourages antibiotic resistance.
nutz99
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've had a lot of throat infections and can generally tell if it needs painkillers or antibiotics. Obviously I don't know how bad yours is, but if you are in constant pain eating, drinking or even gulping combined with feeling overly hot and tired/achy then that is generally signs of an infection. For me an infection should be treated as soon as possible so that it does not worsen.

Any decent doctor would not even prescribe antibiotics if he did not think it was an infection.
Anonymous #1
No, please follow the instructions of your GP.

The reason for what he said was because: non-bacterial causes of symptoms may go away sooner. If they do then there is no need to take the penicillin.

Penicillin is not without risks, taking it unnecessarily encourages antibiotic resistance.
Okay. I’m not really in a hurry so I’ll happily wait two days for it to go. He said if my body can’t fight it (but it should be able to) I should take it.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Okay. I’m not really in a hurry so I’ll happily wait two days for it to go. He said if my body can’t fight it (but it should be able to) I should take it.
Good. Remember even if you do have an infection it may not be bacterial - if it's viral you can have the world's strongest antibiotics and all it'll do is to encourage antibiotic resistance and wipe out the "good bacteria" elsewhere in your body!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by nutz99)
I've had a lot of throat infections and can generally tell if it needs painkillers or antibiotics. Obviously I don't know how bad yours is, but if you are in constant pain eating, drinking or even gulping combined with feeling overly hot and tired/achy then that is generally signs of an infection. For me an infection should be treated as soon as possible so that it does not worsen.

Any decent doctor would not even prescribe antibiotics if he did not think it was an infection.
He asked if I had a fever and if I was sweating loads, feeling cold etc and I never had any of these symptoms. I doubt it’s an infection but he gave it to me because I had and keep getting tonsil stones for ages.
Anonymous #1
Good. Remember even if you do have an infection it may not be bacterial - if it's viral you can have the world's strongest antibiotics and all it'll do is to encourage antibiotic resistance and wipe out the "good bacteria" elsewhere in your body!
Dear oh dear :/ what’ll happen specially if the “good bacteria” is wiped out?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is a good article: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0926082539.htm
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The flora would have to be replenished. “Probiotic” or “Bio-live” dairy products can help with that.
Anonymous #1
Tbh I actually had enough of these tonsil stones and I’ll happily stop eating to avoid them. Now my “tonsil pockets” are enlarged, there is no way I won’t get them again :/
Anonymous #1
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
The flora would have to be replenished. “Probiotic” or “Bio-live” dairy products can help with that.
Oh I see that in yogurt. Thank you
Anonymous #1
Oh thank you for the article. I’ll be sure to read it x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (87)
13.92%
I'm not sure (30)
4.8%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (198)
31.68%
I have already dropped out (13)
2.08%
I'm not a current university student (297)
47.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed