The Student Room Group

Just bought a house - but feel like a failure because I'm single :(

Hi everyone,

I'm in my late 20s and I just purchased a 3 bed house in a nice area. I had depression and anorexia when I was younger but I got myself functioning again and then threw myself into my job as a coping mechanism and worked really hard. I excelled and I have been successful in my career and to be honest I have more money than what I know to do with, it's ridiculous. I can still go a lot further in my job so this is just a start for me.

It's a big milestone and I should be happy but I actually feel a bit gutted deep down because I never thought I would purchase a home alone and always envisioned myself with a partner/family. I'm well off but often it means nothing because I have no one to share it with.

Can anyone relate or does this sound silly?

I'm female by the way, will this put guys off knowing that I have my own home and money? My best friend said men are biologically built to be with women that 'need' them.

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone,

I'm in my late 20s and I just purchased a 3 bed house in a nice area. I had depression and anorexia when I was younger but I got myself functioning again and then threw myself into my job as a coping mechanism and worked really hard. I excelled and I have been successful in my career and to be honest I have more money than what I know to do with, it's ridiculous. I can still go a lot further in my job so this is just a start for me.

It's a big milestone and I should be happy but I actually feel a bit gutted deep down because I never thought I would purchase a home alone and always envisioned myself with a partner/family. I'm well off but often it means nothing because I have no one to share it with.

I'm female by the way, will this put guys off knowing that I have my own home and money? My best friend said men are biologically built to be with women that 'need' them.

Thank you

I highly doubt it would put guys off
Good on you sis. Money should always be your priority, because at the end of the day nobody is gonna pay for you, feed you, clean you, and save you on a rainy day, except for you. Only YOU are there for yourself in life. Ain’t no boy gonna come and do that for you. Don’t rely on other people for happiness. Be your own happiness.
If anything people would be impressed af... buying a house ain’t cheap
You sound like such a sweet girl, and this is coming from a guy. Love knows no boundaries and has no criteria. You will be just fine in time!
Hi everyone,

Thank you
It's a great achievement and you should be pleased.

To be honest, I do think your "problem" is a pretty common one - plenty of people wish they weren't single! Although on the bright side, sounds like you have a great career and financial security, which are very important things.

Out of curiosity, what is your job? I understand if you'd prefer not to say.
Reply 6
You should be so proud of yourself and no man worth his salt is going to be put off by you being an independent woman. Your best friend sounds a bit jealous tbh.
Hi everyone,

Thank you
Yeah, men are accustomed to being the knight in shining armour to the damsel in distress. So it is probably more difficult to form relationships; but not impossible.
People are overrated , your home wont let you down
Reply 9
Absolute tosh!
Original post by Notoriety
Yeah, men are accustomed to being the knight in shining armour to the damsel in distress. So it is probably more difficult to form relationships; but not impossible.
Original post by Scotney
Absolute tosh!

You don't need to like the truth, but you do need to accept it.
Original post by Scotney
Absolute tosh!

he is being sarcastic.
Hi everyone,

Thank you

Anyone and everyone gets into a relationship these days but only the top x% of people in this country manage to own their property, especially at such a young age. What you’ve done is pretty much the crowning achievement for young people and a big move up the social ladder. You should be proud of yourself! Don’t put so much importance on having a relationship when you clearly have bigger things to focus on and a career that’s going great guns. You’ve already found your purpose in life and have many goals to achieve, so you have no need for validation from another person. Sometimes even the most successful people are still single - doesn’t take away from the fact that they work extremely hard, have great drive and ambition.

It will put guys off.

But the ones that get put off by it are the insecure ones you don't want anyway.

I'm in a similar position. I'm a single home owner, though male. Just means I've got greater freedom. No need to worry about landlords, or sharing with people who I can't control... Everything is mine and I get to decide what goes where. It's ideal.
Original post by Fermion.
Money should always be your priority,

I dare you to say this at a medical school interview. :tongue:
Original post by asif007
I dare you to say this at a medical school interview. :tongue:

doctors don't even get paid much.
Says more about you than men in general!
Original post by Notoriety
You don't need to like the truth, but you do need to accept it.
It's a great achievement and you should be pleased.

To be honest, I do think your "problem" is a pretty common one - plenty of people wish they weren't single! Although on the bright side, sounds like you have a great career and financial security, which are very important things.

Out of curiosity, what is your job? I understand if you'd prefer not to say.

Thank you. I don't want to be specific as I'm trying to keep it anon, but I work as a Business Intelligence (B.I.) consultant
Original post by Scotney
Says more about you than men in general!

Yeah, not heard that "witty" line 400 times before.
Original post by angel.xo
doctors don't even get paid much.

Don’t tell me, tell the person who prioritises money.

Quick Reply

Latest

No latest threads to show