The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i'm so never catching the train again. stuff like this scares the crap out of me. :frown:
Reply 21
Very sad. I've always felt safe on the trains, never had any serious problems before.
How do you leave a car on the track?
Reply 22
CharleeB
i'm so never catching the train again. stuff like this scares the crap out of me. :frown:

Thats stupid, did you also never fly again after 9/11?
Reply 23
frost105
Very sad. I've always felt safe on the trains, never had any serious problems before.
How do you leave a car on the track?

Again, you're assuming the car was dumped...
Reply 24
Dr_Death
AHBCs are 70's technology... 50's would mean a little hut with a guy in it. And probably a row of cottages with 2 more guys in to do the other shifts.

So probably safer then!!!

Dr_Death

And with railway signalling systems, if anything breaks, the signal won't give the all clear to the driver. Why was this car on the crossing in the first place? Silly people.

who knows? There's conflicting info - stories of joy riders driving down the track :eek:

Plus it's eay for a car to break down...
Reply 25
frost105
Thats stupid, did you also never fly again after 9/11?

not for at least a year. :frown:

i mean whether or not its reasonable when tragic accidents like this happen it really does knock your confidence in the whole system. i felt the same after paddington, and this is 3 years later after all the 'improvements' have been brought in.
Reply 26
Fluffy
Again, you're assuming the car was dumped...

True but how would a car get on the track when theres a high speed train coming? (I assume that around there it would be going quite fast)
Reply 27
CharleeB
not for at least a year. :frown:

i mean whether or not its reasonable when tragic accidents like this happen it really does knock your confidence in the whole system. i felt the same after paddington, and this is 3 years later after all the 'improvements' have been brought in.

But how many accidents happen really? I feel safer in a train than i do in a car.
Reply 28
frost105
But how many accidents happen really?

too many :frown:
Reply 29
CharleeB
too many :frown:

Really? I dont think so. Paddington and Selby are the 2 train crashes I can recall in the past 5 years.
Reply 30
frost105
Really? I dont think so. Paddington and Selby are the 2 train crashes I can recall in the past 5 years.

i think that one is too many.
Reply 31
potters bar and ladbroke grove although im not sure if these were within 5 years.
Reply 32
frost105
True but how would a car get on the track when theres a high speed train coming? (I assume that around there it would be going quite fast)

You could breakdown and the barriers come down around you, could you not? What do you do? Leave your car there and cop a Selby stylee criminal conviction for not doing enough to warn people/driving an unroadworthy car, or die trying until the last second to move it?

Or there are reports of it being a stolen car, with joy riders actually driving it up a track.
Reply 33
CharleeB
i think that one is too many.

Car travel is the most dangerous way to get around. You need to get things into perspective
Reply 34
Fluffy
You could breakdown and the barriers come down around you, could you not? What do you do? Leave your car there and cop a Selby stylee criminal conviction for not doing enough to warn people/driving an unroadworthy car, or die trying until the last second to move it?

Or there are reports of it being a stolen car, with joy riders actually driving it up a track.

True. I thought they had installed phones at the barriers now in case of problems?
Reply 35
CharleeB
potters bar and ladbroke grove although im not sure if these were within 5 years.

Ladbroke Grove was 1999 - October 5th, I remember it well. Very well - I got off the train at Didcot Parkway.

Potters bar was a few years later.
Reply 36
Fluffy
Ladbroke Grove was 1999 - October 5th, I remember it well. Very well - I got off the train at Didcot Parkway.

Potters bar was a few years later.

its not far from where i live.... walking distance. i remember it was horrible, lots of people from my area were affected. :frown:

you're very lucky :smile:
Reply 37
frost105
True. I thought they had installed phones at the barriers now in case of problems?

The crossings in the area are notorious - there's also a lot of juvenille crime in the area, it's not unheard of for emergency phones to be vandalised.
Reply 38
Fluffy
The crossings in the area are notorious - there's also a lot of juvenille crime in the area, it's not unheard of for emergency phones to be vandalised.

Little gits.
Reply 39
Well, I guess all this is speculation.

I just feel totally useless at the mo - If I was still in Oxford, I'd pop upto the NBS and see if I can help (as I know the systems and computer booking system for blood inside out).

Latest

Trending

Trending