The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
The crossings have always had emergency telephones.

And how hard is it to move a broken down car? You'd have to be extremely unlucky for it to stop on the crossing anyway, and there is plenty of time to get the car clear, and if you're not doing anything stupid then you will already be lined up with the exit from the crossing.

I remember an incident with a similar crossing about 10 years ago... The train came and the barriers stayed down.
Reply 41
I got off one of the london paddington bound trains a few hours ago, it sure as hell makes you think when something like this happens. at least this isn't down to the state of the rails, but that's hardly any consolation for the families of the people killed.

strange things have been happening tonight, i tried driving out of bristol and they had a 'lock down' on all roads and motorways leaving the city - weird!
Reply 42
timeofyourlife
I got off one of the london paddington bound trains a few hours ago, it sure as hell makes you think when something like this happens. at least this isn't down to the state of the rails, but that's hardly any consolation for the families of the people killed.

strange things have been happening tonight, i tried driving out of bristol and they had a 'lock down' on all roads and motorways leaving the city - weird!

Hmm thats strange, My mum must have just avioded that earlier.

It's hard to give any judgment on the train crash (can it be called that?) until you know what really happened. I really hope it wasn't someone messing about, I can't stand people who think things like that are fun.
Reply 43
Luize
It's hard to give any judgment on the train crash (can it be called that?)

Well the train crashed into something, so at a rough guess I would say yes :wink:
Reply 44
Luize
Hmm thats strange, My mum must have just avioded that earlier.

It's hard to give any judgment on the train crash (can it be called that?) until you know what really happened. I really hope it wasn't someone messing about, I can't stand people who think things like that are fun.

i would've thought it wouldn't last for long. i tried getting on the M5 and the police had blocked it off, the only access i could find was the road under the clifton suspension bridge - but even then they had a police road block and stopped every other car asking for drivers' license. me thinks someone has escaped from prison!

and i hope you're right about the messing about..i'd have no qualms with sentencing those sort of people to a lifetime of physical torture.
Reply 45
Heh, I'm now paraniod about whats happened in town. eep.

If it was people messing about I would want to play severe mind games sending them mad until their own mind plays games with them. Evil Evil people.
Reply 46
mobb_theprequel
No major crashes in over 30 years of operation - and to think they have regular tremors beneath the track as well...

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?nn20041025a3.htm

Except this one????

First-ever bullet train derailment reveals safety-system's limitations
Mon 25th Oct 2004

Reply 47
Fluffy, that is the same article.
Reply 48
Dr_Death

I wondered when someone was going to point that out.

I didnt want it to have to be me :wink:
Reply 49
Dr_Death

D'Oh!!!! Paying too much attention to BBC News 24 and not enough to what I am typing!!!
Reply 50
LOL. I'm envious of the Japanese railway system, but then I realise that we can get one too. All we need to to is get our country completely flattened in the next world war.
Reply 51
I think I read that one UK regional rail compnay had bought bullet traine recently... Pity our tracks can't really do then justice...
Reply 53

Only 140mph? pfft. The InterCity 225 trains out of Kings Cross have that capability, if the track and signals are good enough. And there have been 125mph trains since 1973!

That's a very interesting article. I wonder if it will actually get built! I read that the EU transport policy is to bring as much international transport linkage as possible, so maybe there is a political incentive there...
Reply 54
"The BBC's transport correspondent Tom Symonds says it has also emerged that the investigation into the crash is examining the possibility that a car was deliberately reversed onto the track."

I really hope that's not true :frown:
Why do all these rail incidents occur in [or in the vicinity of] London? Hatfield, Potters Bar, Labrooke Grove, Paddington, Southall (and they're just the ones that I can recall).
Fluffy
Except this one????

First-ever bullet train derailment reveals safety-system's limitations
Mon 25th Oct 2004

Ermm... I think it's excusable... there was an earthquake at the time...
Reply 57
mobb_theprequel
Why do all these rail incidents occur in [or in the vicinity of] London? Hatfield, Potters Bar, Labrooke Grove, Paddington, Southall (and they're just the ones that I can recall).

cmon man, thats easy!

its just simple mathematics!

lots more trains going into and out of london (and the south east in general) than anywhere else, so theres bound to be more incidents there than anywhere else.

further to that; its pretty crap that someone would (possibly) reverse their car onto the tracks :redface: but lets be thankful that of the 300 only a handful died / seriously injured!

i have to get the train back to bath today too... :eek: :redface:
kikzen

lots more trains going into and out of london (and the south east in general) than anywhere else, so theres bound to be more incidents there than anywhere else.

Actually, that's not entirely true. Birmingham is the hub of the national railway network - and has a greater density of track than anywhere else in the country.
Reply 59
Ellie4
"The BBC's transport correspondent Tom Symonds says it has also emerged that the investigation into the crash is examining the possibility that a car was deliberately reversed onto the track."

I really hope that's not true :frown:

One of the dead was apparently in the car - according to the BBC, so that's looking less likely.

These crossings should have pressure sensors and cameras...

Latest

Trending

Trending