The Student Room Group

Fun first cars that won't break the bank?

Newbie on TSR right here :smile:

Now this might get a little long winded but I'm sure many people have asked this before but I wanted to ask it personally - - does anyone know any first car ideas? Very close to taking my test for the third time after failing for the silliest little mistakes, and my instructor says the skills are there and I'm a great driver beside these small little issues.

My dad got his newer WRX STI Spec D about 2 years ago, and because he got that, my mum thought itd be a nice 16th birthday present to sign my name in the logbook of the subaru turbo 2000 wagon that we used as the family car before my dad's new one. I love it to bits and am so grateful, couldn't thank my parents enough and as much as I wanna just get in it and drive it (its a car that deserves to be driven), unfortunately with the way that insurance is going, I don't think I'll be able to insure that as my first car haha!

I've got a budget of maybe £5000 ( for the insurance + car) and I've been searching for cars that I could maybe save up for, buy and insure for a decent price. Obviously as its a first car It doesn't need to have 400 horsepower with awd or anything stupidly fast But being an 18 year old with quite a passion for cars, I would like something fun to drive, that I won't necessarily get bored of driving. which also, as a bonus have maybe enough power to take things like hills and overtakes a little easier seen as though its always nice to have a car that isn't "gutless".

I don't really care for engine size (as long as its not an Naturally aspirated 1.0L Im all good ahaha), speed, and sound, all aren't as important but nice handling, decent interior and something somewhat pleasing to look at from the outside would be nice.

Some of the cars I found most pleasing for a cheap buy and insurance cost were:

2005 Seat Ibiza 1.2L
2013 Ford Fiesta Zetec S 1.0L Turbo
2005 Suzuki Swift Sport 1.5L
2009 VW Golf 1.4 TSI SE
2007 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4

Even some of the slower focuses and BMWs are cheaper to buy and insure nowadays but if any of you have any suggestions on cars that are relatively cheap and are fun enough without getting me killed I'd be happy to hear them! Thank you!
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest