Rich fail to cough up for Notre Dame Watch

Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
When Notre Dame was still burning, billionaires and wealthy family-owned corporations around the world promised huge donations to repair it.

As of a few weeks ago, nothing had been received by the authorities from the large highly publicised donors.
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...h-philanthropy

A few million has now been handed over by L'Oreal (bless 'em) but much less than the 500m Euros they promised. More than 95% less in fact.

The billionaires are now saying they don't want to fund salaries (repair workers need paying, strangely) and they will only fund 'attractive' offers for philanthropy, not the basic repair work. Apparently they never meant it!

The reality behind modern billionaire generosity. They will only part with money if they are in control. In the meantime, they will say they will be doing it, for the publicity.
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hate it when what they say is notrue dam it!
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It illustrates that virtue signalling can and does backfire badly.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
It illustrates that virtue signalling can and does backfire badly.
It reminds me very much of what happened during and after the great Indian Ocean Tsunami. Billions were promised from all over the world, but depressingly little cash actually made it to those areas affected. As usual, the most effective were the often-attacked aid charities like Oxfam, who also of course lost some of their people in the field. The least effective and forthcoming were governments, like our own, who only grudgingly handed over actual cash under huge public pressure.
Last edited by Fullofsurprises; 1 month ago
harrysbar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Seems like Notre Dame needs a miracle
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wish i could say im surprised.. Then again half of these rich toss pots would only donate (if they ever did) for tax reasons im willing to bet.
CryLibTears
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
May as well knock it down and repalce it with a mosque isn't that the diverse tolerant thing to do?

remember according to Macron and most Left wingers, European people including French have no actual culture...

I think I undertand how race and racism works to know who the biggest racists on the planet are
BonsaiColony
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How’s this relevant. White people do have culture aswell.
(Original post by CryLibTears)
May as well knock it down and repalce it with a mosque isn't that the diverse tolerant thing to do?

remember according to Macron and most Left wingers, European people including French have no actual culture...

I think I undertand how race and racism works to know who the biggest racists on the planet are
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.45%
Excited (166)
9.39%
Worried (308)
17.43%
Terrified (389)
22.01%
Meh (184)
10.41%
Confused (39)
2.21%