The Student Room Group

Diabetes Survey

(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Dil007
Hello,

I would really appreciate it if you could take 2 mins to answer my survey for my health project.

Survey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/QXM6RHP

No personal info required.

You have inaccurate wording there. On the question with factors, these are ONLY risk factors for Type 2 diabetes. Not diabetes in general. Same for the statement about middle-aged women.

E.g. type 1 and type 2 are VERY different diseases. And not acknowledging that leads to a lot of hurtful misconceptions. It’s not one and the same disease.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by lastlullabyy
You have inaccurate wording there. On the question with factors, these are ONLY risk factors for Type 2 diabetes. Not diabetes in general. Same for the statement about middle-aged women.

E.g. type 1 and type 2 are VERY different diseases. And not acknowledging that leads to a lot of hurtful misconceptions. It’s not one and the same disease.

Thank you for taking the chance to look over my survey. I now understand the mistakes I have made and realised I need to clearly distinguish between the two diseases. For my particular health project I am concentrating on Type 2.

I sincerely apologise for any offense I may have caused.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Dil007
Thank you for taking the chance to look over my survey. I now understand the mistakes I have made and realised I need to clearly distinguish between the two diseases. For my particular health project I am concentrating on Type 2.

I sincerely apologise for any offense I may have caused.

It’s ok, no worries :smile: just as someone whose loved ones have been and are affected by both types I really appreciate how different they are. All of my grandparents had type 2, my dad has prediabetes now.
But my fiancé has type 1. He was diagnosed only like 6 months after we got together. He almost died twice. And even his family still repeat misconceptions such as “if you didn’t drink so much orange juices as a child, you wouldn’t have diabetes” - he’s been diabetic for 5 years now and his own family says that.

No need to apologise as there isn’t enough education and campaigns raising awareness between two types :smile: I have two science degrees so it might seem obvious to me but general public should have more information.

I’ve completed your survey now, good luck with your studies!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending