louisee88
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Basically I hated sixthform every single minute of it and I felt so down and depressed during exams, I genuinely believe I’ve achieved EEU. I have an unconditional offer. Should I take it no matter what I get? Are employers really bothered about A levels if you have a first or a 2:1? Any help is greatly appreciated
bloomer36
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How did you get the unconditional and which uni
louisee88
Rep:
?
I guess they liked the personal statement and predicted grades? Nottingham Trent uni to do criminology!
Nathan Forey
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Which uni gave you the unconditional? What are your predicted grades?
louisee88
Rep:
?
Nottingham Trent, and they were BBB, but I’m far from that trust me
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by louisee88)
Basically I hated sixthform every single minute of it and I felt so down and depressed during exams, I genuinely believe I’ve achieved EEU. I have an unconditional offer. Should I take it no matter what I get? Are employers really bothered about A levels if you have a first or a 2:1? Any help is greatly appreciated
If you are 100% sure that you ruined your A levels, then I strongly advise you to take the unconditonal. Once you get to uni, your A levels grades become irrelevant. No reputable employer would be interested in your A level grades.
louisee88
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wired_1800)
If you are 100% sure that you ruined your A levels, then I strongly advise you to take the unconditonal. Once you get to uni, your A levels grades become irrelevant. No reputable employer would be interested in your A level grades.
Honestly you’ve made me feel so much better and I can’t thank you enough!!
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly you’ve made me feel so much better and I can’t thank you enough!!
Let me bring you down to earth then. If your level of motivation, work and attainment is as low as you imply it is then how do you think you are going to succeed at university? If you have doubts about this then the loan repayments you will saddle yourself with may not be a worthwhile burden to take on. Further, employers are interested in A-level grades, as well as degree attainment. Many screen out applicants with lesser A-level attainment; they seek a record of consistent and continued success.
louisee88
Rep:
?
(Original post by Good bloke)
Let me bring you down to earth then. If your level of motivation, work and attainment is as low as you imply it is then how do you think you are going to succeed at university? If you have doubts about this then the loan repayments you will saddle yourself with may not be a worthwhile burden to take on. Further, employers are interested in A-level grades, as well as degree attainment. Many screen out applicants with lesser A-level attainment; they seek a record of consistent and continued success.
I genuinely felt awful the entire year of my last year at sixthform, hence the lack of effort and grades. Thank you for your comment though I have taken it into consideration. I just can’t bare the thought of going back to resit for another year, however I really want to go to university and proceed to build a career for myself.
louisee88
Rep:
?
I have also been thinking about becoming an external candidate and resitting my exams in first year, as I am aware my specific course doesn’t have exams, only essays at the end of the year, but then again that will take some hard hard grafting
student424
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You may well have done better than you think. Perhaps if you haven't done too well, taking the unconditional might be a good idea but only if uni is really for you and you really want to make a go of it. I think employers will look at your degree result in first instances but will also see your A levels and GCSE results. I know somebody who didn't do too well in their A levels as they became very low and depressed but they are now at uni and are absolutely flying!
louisee88
Rep:
?
(Original post by student424)
You may well have done better than you think. Perhaps if you haven't done too well, taking the unconditional might be a good idea but only if uni is really for you and you really want to make a go of it. I think employers will look at your degree result in first instances but will also see your A levels and GCSE results. I know somebody who didn't do too well in their A levels as they became very low and depressed but they are now at uni and are absolutely flying!
At the time of exams I was struggling so bad and never been in a place like it but I know I’ve always wanted to go to uni and make a life for myself! Has your friend ever been held back by their A levels?
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree with your point on university but I don't think your point on employers is accurate. Can you share examples of employers who ask for A levels grades?
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't worry about it. As long as you work hard during uni, you should be fine.
student424
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They didn't get into their firm or insurance universities because of their grades and didn't have an unconditional. It was a very popular course though so maybe why they didn't get a look in. However, they are now at a uni that they enjoy so all is well!
At the time of exams I was struggling so bad and never been in a place like it but I know I’ve always wanted to go to uni and make a life for myself! Has your friend ever been held back by their A levels?
louisee88
Rep:
?
I agree with your point on university but I don't think your point on employers is accurate. Can you share examples of employers who ask for A levels grades?
So you’re saying not all employers will look at your A level grades and judge you from that?
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So you’re saying not all employers will look at your A level grades and judge you from that?
I personally have not heard of any employer asking for A level grades. The standard requirement is a 2.1.

Maybe the top law firms might ask for them, but not sure and I doubt it. Notoriety, I think, is the best person to know about Law reqs.
louisee88
Rep:
?
I personally have not heard of any employer asking for A level grades. The standard requirement is a 2.1.

Maybe the top law firms might ask for them, but not sure and I doubt it. Notoriety, I think, is the best person to know about Law reqs.
Good job I’m not going for a law firm then! Thank you so much for your help!
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

They are not uncommon in banking, law, IT even.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Many, many law firms have minimum A level requirements for their training contracts, usually AAB/ABB/BBB - these are well advertised on their websites and on lawcareers.net.

OP isn't applying for Law but it does prove that some employers will ask for A level grades
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate