Problems with occupational health Watch

Jenx301
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi

So I have a place for September to study mental health nursing. I have the grades etc but I had an occupational health assessment and they got me to speak to a doctor. He said I am not able to start in September due to my mental health. I was wondering if this decision only applies to Nottingham or it I tried manchester (had an offer there too) would I have another chance? Or does one occupational health decision apply to all uni?

Is is possible to appeal? My GP, care co and psychiatrist are all happy for me to do it. In fact I was discharged from the cmht as I was due to start September. I spoke to my GP about it today and she said she thinks I am well enough.

Basically is there anything I can do?

Thanks
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Jenx301)
Hi

So I have a place for September to study mental health nursing. I have the grades etc but I had an occupational health assessment and they got me to speak to a doctor. He said I am not able to start in September due to my mental health. I was wondering if this decision only applies to Nottingham or it I tried manchester (had an offer there too) would I have another chance? Or does one occupational health decision apply to all uni?

Is is possible to appeal? My GP, care co and psychiatrist are all happy for me to do it. In fact I was discharged from the cmht as I was due to start September. I spoke to my GP about it today and she said she thinks I am well enough.

Basically is there anything I can do?

Thanks
Firstly, you need to find out exactly why you didn't pass. Generally OH do not recommend rejecting a student lightly so they should have a good reason. Usually this is because they feel the course would either put you or vulnerable service users at risk.

Depending what the reason is, you may be able to look elsewhere or ask to appeal the decision (although this is unlikely to be successful, but may be worth a shot). Each university has their own OH system, so you would get a different assessment at each. There is some degree of subjectivity to the process, so you may find you have more success elsewhere, but obviously it really does depend where you are at in terms of your mental health and the reasons for your rejection.

If you haven't already, it may be worth having a look at our guide on the OH process: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...2#post76659932
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.47%
Excited (156)
9.09%
Worried (306)
17.83%
Terrified (381)
22.2%
Meh (171)
9.97%
Confused (37)
2.16%
Putting on a brave face (237)
13.81%
Impatient (214)
12.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise