Chants of "Send Her Back" at Trump rally following racist tweets Watch

Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...mned-democrats

Anyone still doubt that Trump is whistling to and supporting white nationalists?
Palmyra
Badges: 20
Report 4 weeks ago
Pretty horrific scenes.
Prussianxo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
bUt TrUmP iSn'T rAcIsT!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Trotsky's Iceaxe
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Non-racist Trump really knows how to whip up his non-racist supporters.
The Introvert
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just when you think he couldn’t be any worse. Words escape me.
Wooord
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Honestly cannot even believe this. "go back to your own country" is the oldest trope used by racists smh..and people are actually dismissing it. You can support him all you want but still recognise that this is clear racism
tacobeth
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i truly hope america doesn’t re-elect him in 2020, but at the same time i’m worried if he doesn’t get re-elected about what he’ll do during those few months between the election and when the new president steps up
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
Interesting to see all the Trump supporters logic in defending it and denying it is racist. Apparently it is all out of context.
Palmyra
Report 4 weeks ago

Chilling scenes.

Trump has now said it was "quite a chant" and that he "felt a little bit badly about it".
tacobeth
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Palmyra)

Chilling scenes.

Trump has now said it was "quite a chant" and that he "felt a little bit badly about it".
he only feels bad about the damage it did to his reputation, not the people he offended
Palmyra
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Interesting to see all the Trump supporters logic in defending it and denying it is racist. Apparently it is all out of context.
They might have more of a leg to stand on had their White Nationalist Leader not earlier Tweeted that Omar/AOC/Talib should "go back... [to the] crime infested places from which they came".
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think his original Tweets are not simply that people of colour should return to their country of birth/ancestry. However a lot of media outlets -- as it's a simpler story -- claim that it is.

It is qualified. If you don't like how America does business, then you can return to these countries. It is a point of rhetoric designed to prove a point; they would not go back because America is such a great and liberal country. This is not calling for POC to return to the country of origin per se.

I don't see the logic in this comment, though. They are elected representatives who are there to help decide how America does business. If we just accepted the status quo and any complaint meant we emigrated to a country which more agrees with us, nothing politically would ever happen.

The only reason he said it in this case was because these people were people of colour, so there is definitely a deliberate negative racial association which makes the comment intentionally racist. But let's not pretend he was simply saying POC should "go back".
Palmyra
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
The only reason he said it in this case was because these people were people of colour, so there is definitely a deliberate negative racial association which makes the comment intentionally racist. But let's not pretend he was simply saying POC should "go back".
This congressman hit the nail on the head:

Name:  Screenshot 2019-07-18 at 19.38.26.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  103.8 KB
tacobeth
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think his original Tweets are not simply that people of colour should return to their country of birth/ancestry. However a lot of media outlets -- as it's a simpler story -- claim that it is.

It is qualified. If you don't like how America does business, then you can return to these countries. It is a point of rhetoric designed to prove a point; they would not go back because America is such a great and liberal country. This is not calling for POC to return to the country of origin per se.

I don't see the logic in this comment, though. They are elected representatives who are there to help decide how America does business. If we just accepted the status quo and any complaint meant we emigrated to a country which more agrees with us, nothing politically would ever happen.

he may not have said that directly himself, but you know for certain that some of his followers are gonna say it that way & use it to attack poc. He knows that his words have an impact & he shouldn’t be using his platform to spew words that are going to be interpreted negatively and some racist people are going to take it too far
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by tacobeth)
he may not have said that directly himself, but you know for certain that some of his followers are gonna say it that way & use it to attack poc. He knows that his words have an impact & he shouldn’t be using his platform to spew words that are going to be interpreted negatively and some racist people are going to take it too far
Yeah, I am not saying anything about his followers and the people chanting. I cannot help but think this has stirred up a lot of racist sentiment, as it's what the far-right want to hear and ultimately they want to be given the licence to share their pernicious narrow-minded views without being labelled as pernicious and narrow-minded. He seems to have given them it through, I suspect, careless speech.

That is why executive statements normally are proofread and delicately constructed; not launched into the Twittersphere hamhandedly because the POTUS is bored after his cheeseburger lunch. However the people elected him for this quality, so they really lose the ability to complain about it.
Last edited by Notoriety; 4 weeks ago
angel.xo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

don't expect tsr to understand what this means. too complex for them and its just racist cos its trump after all
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Why are people acting surprised by this? It's not exactly an aberation from his usual behaviour (nor without precedent for that matter) and on top of that its a tried and tested political strategy to use inflammatory statements to fire up the base.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Surely that's an oxymoron?
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Palmyra)
They might have more of a leg to stand on had their White Nationalist Leader not earlier Tweeted that Omar/AOC/Talib should "go back... [to the] crime infested places from which they came".
The OP said something that was factually untrue. I was merely pointing out the fact it was inaccurate and untrue at the event concerned.
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Why are people acting surprised by this? It's not exactly an aberation from his usual behaviour (nor without precedent for that matter) and on top of that its a tried and tested political strategy to use inflammatory statements to fire up the base.
I find it depressing. I was shocked he said it, but much more shocked in that his supporters try to justify and excuse it, then the chanting was quite appalling and had lots of negative implications about some people. Fortunately not this country. In some ways its an issue in other ways its storm in a teacup.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (168)
13.1%
Excited (111)
8.66%
Worried (235)
18.33%
Terrified (299)
23.32%
Meh (103)
8.03%
Confused (32)
2.5%