Are my employers allowed to do this? Watch

Emily1969
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I currently am under an apprenticeship where I was told I was being kept on, now management has completely changed and they’re telling me they aren’t sure anymore. Apprenticeship ends in a months time and now I’m not sure where I legally stand? Do they tell me I’m not being kept on when it’s my finish date ? I don’t find this fair at all as how do they expect someone to find a new job so quickly! Please help
jfoo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Start looking for a new job ASAP.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
they're not legally obliged to keep you on past your contractual period and they're actually being nice by giving you a head's up. quite often when you get sacked they you just get a week or two's notice
(Original post by Emily1969)
I currently am under an apprenticeship where I was told I was being kept on, now management has completely changed and they’re telling me they aren’t sure anymore. Apprenticeship ends in a months time and now I’m not sure where I legally stand? Do they tell me I’m not being kept on when it’s my finish date ? I don’t find this fair at all as how do they expect someone to find a new job so quickly! Please help
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Emily1969)
Yes, they are perfectly well allowed to do this, business conditions change all the time. Start looking for a job asap, but keep in with them in case they do have a role. There's nothing legal about it, until you've signed a contract and started in the role, even then, it takes 2 years employment to get substantial rights.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.32%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.42%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (87)
19.16%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (183)
40.31%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.63%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.17%