The Student Room Group

"Send Her Back! "

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DSilva
By telling them to 'go back to where they originally came from', he made clear he didn't think they were really from America, which they were.

But that's not what you were accusing him of. You're saying the reason he told them to go back was BECAUSE OF THEIR RACE. Where did he say that?
Reply 161
Original post by Student-95
But that's not what you were accusing him of. You're saying the reason he told them to go back was BECAUSE OF THEIR RACE. Where did he say that?

He never did and this could go on forever, it's like trying to get a machine to do something it wasn't programmed for.
Original post by Underscore__
I’m not suggesting you should praise Katie Hopkins, I’m just suggesting you shouldn’t assume everything she says is disagreeable just because a lot of it is. I’m sure both Adi and Katie have said things you’d agree with.

Yeah they're might have been, but I could not ignore the horrible things they've done in the past which they continue to do and have no remorse for.

He didn't explicitly say it was because of their race, but you'd have to stretch like Mr Fantastic to claim it wasn't.

He singled out 4 congresswomen and attacked them, saying they should go back to their country, because by holding progressive views they were apparently anti- American. 3 of the 4 are US citizens by birth, only Ilhan Omar was born outside of the US, and moved there as a child. He used overtly racist rhetoric (go back to your own country) against a group of 4 congresswomen, who aren't the only progressives in Congress, but who happen to all be people of colour. You'd already have to be pretty charitable to suggest that using overtly racist rhetoric towards people of colour from America wasn't racist, but given Trump has a history of white nationalism (insisting Obama wasn't born in America) and just flat out racism (the central park 5), would such charity be fair? Absolutely not. Anyone denying trump is a racist at this point lacks any integrity or honesty, they are lacking in shame and decency.
Original post by Prussianxo
Yeah they're might have been, but I could not ignore the horrible things they've done in the past which they continue to do and have no remorse for.

‘Horrible things they’ve done’ - Katie Hopkins made some bigoted comments, Hitler indirectly cause the deaths of tens of millions of people, well done for showing the lunacy of your comparison.

The point is just because Katie Hopkins has said things in the past that are disagreeable it doesn’t mean all future comments should be disregarded on that basis.

Because it obviously was. Why would he be telling them to 'go back to where they originally came from', if not?
The obvious, and only, implication is that he is saying they aren't 'originally from' America because they are ethnic minorities.
Terrible rhetoric to be spouting, now scrambling to distance himself from it.

Not liberal but stand with her, and other people singled out, strongly.

Original post by DSilva
Because it obviously was. Why would he be telling them to 'go back to where they originally came from', if not?
The obvious, and only, implication is that he is saying they aren't 'originally from' America because they are ethnic minorities.

Agree, definitely race plays a part here, when 3 out of the 4 are US born citizens too, how will Kellyanne Conway whitewash this I wonder?
‘Horrible things they’ve done’ - Katie Hopkins made some bigoted comments, Hitler indirectly cause the deaths of tens of millions of people, well done for showing the lunacy of your comparison.

The point is just because Katie Hopkins has said things in the past that are disagreeable it doesn’t mean all future comments should be disregarded on that basis.

Hopkins literally called for a "final solution" for a group of people who believe in a certain religion. Pretty similar to Adolf if you ask me.

Once she shows remorse for her past then I will consider the content of her comments.

But my original point wasn't about any of that, it was about how the POTUS should be more careful when choosing who he supports seeing as he is one of the most powerful people on this planet and it sends a message when he retweets someone with those views.
I'm not contending any of that. Suggesting that someone wasn't born in a particular country isn't racism.

That's where we disagree. Throughout history, an extremely common trope used against ethnic minorities is that they are not really 'from' the country they reside in. That somehow they are outsiders, or less 'American/British/ insert nationality, than others.

Those people were American citizens, who were born in America. However you slice it, they are 'originally from America', and saying otherwise, just because they are ethnic minorities is racist. Why would someone deny that people from ethnic minority backgrounds are 'originally from America'?

You seem to enjoy snipping quotes to suit your argument. What I said was that it would have made significantly less sense had he said it to a white congressman. White Americans tend to have heritage from Northern and Central Europe or Scandinavia, countries who's governments are at least as healthy as the American government.

And it would be ridiculous to say any of them weren't 'originally from' America too.

And how is it clear that any of the people he was referring to are 'from' that country? This would be made much clearer if you actually explained what requirements a person has to fulfil in order to be considered American.

Being born in America, having citizenship there and having grown up there are all pretty good indicators that you are indeed American. On what basis were they not 'originally from' America?

What a surprise, yet more things I didn't say. What I said was that if you talk about having foreign heritage then it's fair for other people to point out that you have foreign heritage. In talking about where they 'originally came from' he's clearly referring to their family heritage.

Having foreign heritage is extremely different to saying you're not 'originally from' America, when the person was born, raised and grew up in America.

But also, your double standards here are quite telling. You seem to think it's fine for you to explain what Trump 'meant' or was 'referring to' even though he didn't say it, yet it's not okay for others to say what Trump 'meant'.

Yes, I would say they were motivated by racism.

Well i'm glad we can agree on that.
Hopkins literally called for a "final solution" for a group of people who believe in a certain religion. Pretty similar to Adolf if you ask me.

Clearly that’s a ridiculous comment

Once she shows remorse for her past then I will consider the content of her comments.

But my original point wasn't about any of that, it was about how the POTUS should be more careful when choosing who he supports seeing as he is one of the most powerful people on this planet and it sends a message when he retweets someone with those views.

Why not judge her individual comments on an individual basis?
Why not judge her individual comments on an individual basis?

No one ever judges comments in isolation. We all have our opinions formed and then look at the comment. Right wing people don't look at the positive things that Jeremy Corbyn has said because they already don't like him for the other stuff he has said. Similarly people on the left aren't going to look at individual comments made by Theresa May on cutting homelessness because of her previous policies.
Original post by DSilva
That's where we disagree. Throughout history, an extremely common trope used against ethnic minorities is that they are not really 'from' the country they reside in. That somehow they are outsiders, or less 'American/British/ insert nationality, than others.

When you say 'throughout history' you are aware that until after the second world war virtually everyone living in Britain was white? This history you're referring to spans about 70 years. Just because other people have suggested ethnic minorities aren't 'from' somewhere it doesn't mean everyone who does it is racist. If Trump had just tweeted 'go home' and tagged the four of them then you'd have a point but he provided further comment and told them to come back, something I'm sure most racists don't do.

Original post by DSilva
Those people were American citizens, who were born in America. However you slice it, they are 'originally from America', and saying otherwise, just because they are ethnic minorities is racist. Why would someone deny that people from ethnic minority backgrounds are 'originally from America'?

Here you go again. As I, and now numerous other people, have said, you do not know that he only said it because they are not white.

I think we can distinguish Ilhan Omar from the rest of them; she wasn't born in America and neither of her parents are American. To say that she isn't originally from the US is not unreasonable.

Original post by DSilva
Being born in America, having citizenship there and having grown up there are all pretty good indicators that you are indeed American. On what basis were they not 'originally from' America?

I'm not asking for indicators, I'm asking for a rigid set of requirements someone must fulfil in order to be considered American in your opinion.

Original post by DSilva
Having foreign heritage is extremely different to saying you're not 'originally from' America, when the person was born, raised and grew up in America.

But also, your double standards here are quite telling. You seem to think it's fine for you to explain what Trump 'meant' or was 'referring to' even though he didn't say it, yet it's not okay for others to say what Trump 'meant'.

It's clear what he meant when you apply context to the quote. Clearly he knew they're American citizens and perhaps he did think they were all born abroad but it seems far more likely that he was referring to their family origin. The difference in what we're saying is you're implying motive into what he said.
No one ever judges comments in isolation. We all have our opinions formed and then look at the comment. Right wing people don't look at the positive things that Jeremy Corbyn has said because they already don't like him for the other stuff he has said. Similarly people on the left aren't going to look at individual comments made by Theresa May on cutting homelessness because of her previous policies.

Well clearly I'm an anomaly then.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
He didn't explicitly say it was because of their race, but you'd have to stretch like Mr Fantastic to claim it wasn't.

He singled out 4 congresswomen and attacked them, saying they should go back to their country, because by holding progressive views they were apparently anti- American. 3 of the 4 are US citizens by birth, only Ilhan Omar was born outside of the US, and moved there as a child. He used overtly racist rhetoric (go back to your own country) against a group of 4 congresswomen, who aren't the only progressives in Congress, but who happen to all be people of colour. You'd already have to be pretty charitable to suggest that using overtly racist rhetoric towards people of colour from America wasn't racist, but given Trump has a history of white nationalism (insisting Obama wasn't born in America) and just flat out racism (the central park 5), would such charity be fair? Absolutely not. Anyone denying trump is a racist at this point lacks any integrity or honesty, they are lacking in shame and decency.

Thank you. He didn't say it.
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Agree, definitely race plays a part here, when 3 out of the 4 are US born citizens too, how will Kellyanne Conway whitewash this I wonder?

She won't need to, because his fans will support him and defend him whatever he does or says. He can do or say no wrong, to them.
When you say 'throughout history' you are aware that until after the second world war virtually everyone living in Britain was white? This history you're referring to spans about 70 years. Just because other people have suggested ethnic minorities aren't 'from' somewhere it doesn't mean everyone who does it is racist. If Trump had just tweeted 'go home' and tagged the four of them then you'd have a point but he provided further comment and told them to come back, something I'm sure most racists don't do.

Here you go again. As I, and now numerous other people, have said, you do not know that he only said it because they are not white.

I think we can distinguish Ilhan Omar from the rest of them; she wasn't born in America and neither of her parents are American. To say that she isn't originally from the US is not unreasonable.

I'm not asking for indicators, I'm asking for a rigid set of requirements someone must fulfil in order to be considered American in your opinion.

It's clear what he meant when you apply context to the quote. Clearly he knew they're American citizens and perhaps he did think they were all born abroad but it seems far more likely that he was referring to their family origin. The difference in what we're saying is you're implying motive into what he said.

Even if we were to give him the benefit of the doubt, and accept that he 'meant' that their family heritage was not American (even though that's not what he said), his comments in my view were still racist.

Saying that ethnic minorities are required to 'fix the problems' in countries their families came from, before being allowed to criticise the American government, is onvisouly racist and bigoted.

If you were to tell a Jewish person in the UK that they must fix the problems in Israel before being allowed to criticise the UK govt, it would obviously be anti semitic.

But Trump has form for denying the status or legitimacy of ethnic minorities as Americans, just as when, without a shred of evidence, he was claiming that Obama wasn't born in the USA.
Original post by DSilva

So in other words, he didn't say it.
So in other words, he didn't say it.

Deary me. If you hated black people, and punched one because of their race, but didn't specifically say it was because of their race, it would be fine?

This whole ' well yeah he may have told a bunch of ethnic minorities to 'go back to where they came from' but it's fine because he didn't explicitly say it was because they were ethnic minorities' is rather tiring, when the reason he said it is obvious.

Debating with Trump supporters is an impossible task. They will never accept he has done or said anything wrong.
Reply 179
Original post by z-hog
Wow, what an Eureka moment for Trumpophobes! Nothing racist at all in his comments.

Trumpophobe?

what is that? a fear of farting?

Anyone who defends Trump needs their head checked. The idiot literally runs his country via his twitter account. Deluded fools think he actually cares for the general population whilst his rich buddies continue to profit from his tax cuts and the poor continue to struggle to afford decent healthcare.

There is no law against criticising the policies of a President or the ruling party. None of the 4 women mentioned by Trump have broken any laws. Therefore, there is no reason for anyone to suggest they should "go back to where they came from".

In fact, it is potentially Trump that is violating international human rights laws by saying such things and also by implementing the prison style system for those who are trying to cross borders (including children).

Never mind the fact that the families of 3 of those Trump has criticised have lived in the US for longer than both his and Melanias families, whilst the 4th one came here from a war torn country that the US tried to meddle with at the time.

But you keep believing your delusional fantasies my friend. I'm sure the tooth fairy will come to your support one day :console:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending