OU credits to UCAS points??? pls help

Watch
shelbywilsher88
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey,
I'm looking at doing an Access to HE: People, work and society with the Open University, which is the equivalent to 60 credits, but I'm not sure how their Credits system works with Ucas. None of the universities I want to apply to have their Credit requirements on the website, just the usual UCAS points and the Access pass, merit and distinction requirements.
How does this actually work?
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by shelbywilsher88)
Hey,
I'm looking at doing an Access to HE: People, work and society with the Open University, which is the equivalent to 60 credits, but I'm not sure how their Credits system works with Ucas. None of the universities I want to apply to have their Credit requirements on the website, just the usual UCAS points and the Access pass, merit and distinction requirements.
How does this actually work?
People, work and society is an Access module not an Access to HE course. They are not the same thing. Open University Access modules cannot be used to apply to university, they are worth 0 UCAS points. Their only function is to prepare people who need extra support before beginning an OU degree.

You can use Open University credits to get into university (these must be non-Access module, level 1 or higher credits: see here). I did. How many credits you need depends on the uni you're applying to, but it's usually between 60 and 120 at level 1. I suggest you email the admission department of the unis you're interested in and ask them how many OU credits they require for entry.
shelbywilsher88
Rep:
?
(Original post by Snufkin)
People, work and society is an Access module not an Access to HE course. They are not the same thing. Open University Access modules cannot be used to apply to university, they are worth 0 UCAS points. Their only function is to prepare people who need extra support before beginning an OU degree.

You can use Open University credits to get into university (these must be non-Access module, level 1 or higher credits: see here). I did. How many credits you need depends on the uni you're applying to, but it's usually between 60 and 120 at level 1. I suggest you email the admission department of the unis you're interested in and ask them how many OU credits they require for entry.
Thank you so much! I wouldn’t have had a clue 😂
I’m looking at doing the equivalent to a college qualification in psychology with the OU, and then going on to study it at Bangor or Aberystwyth. Would level 1 be enough to get me in or would I have to do levels 2 & 3?
Snufkin
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much! I wouldn’t have had a clue 😂
I’m looking at doing the equivalent to a college qualification in psychology with the OU, and then going on to study it at Bangor or Aberystwyth. Would level 1 be enough to get me in or would I have to do levels 2 & 3?
Check with the uni to make sure, but in my exp level 1 will be fine and pretty much every uni will be happy with that.
leannemellisa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello!

I'm currently about to start my second 60 credit module with the OU,
I have spoken to local universities to me (mainly USW and Cardiff Met) and they have said they would be happy to accept the 120 credits in lieu of A levels, so I am hopng to start at a brick uni for Social work in Sept 2020! It's definately doable at some universities but the first point of contact will be the universities admissions enquiry line so you can ask them and maybe attend open days to ask!
shelbywilsher88
Rep:
?
Thank you both so much!! I’ve emailed the universities I’m looking at applying to for sept 2020 (one of them is Cardiff haha) so just waiting for a reply
leannemellisa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
it's not a problem! as i'll have 120 credits I'm gonna be asking the open University for a cert in higher education!
what are you looking to do in brick uni?
Thank you both so much!! I’ve emailed the universities I’m looking at applying to for sept 2020 (one of them is Cardiff haha) so just waiting for a reply
Snufkin
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by leannemellisa)
it's not a problem! as i'll have 120 credits I'm gonna be asking the open University for a cert in higher education!
what are you looking to do in brick uni?
I wouldn't do that if I were you. At least not yet. This is a grey area and there are no clear rules, but essentially SFE might not give you a full loan if you have done a previous qualification (eg a CertHE). The safest option would be to register on an OU Bachelor's degree, do your 120 credits and then withdraw without any quantification (if they offer you an exit award, decline it). You can still use those credits to get into university.

Get your loan in place and start uni, then once you're there, contact the OU and ask for the certificate. They will be fine about it.
leannemellisa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
amazing, thank you for that! I'll do it that way instead!

thank you so much!
(Original post by Snufkin)
I wouldn't do that if I were you. At least not yet. This is a grey area and there are no clear rules, but essentially SFE might not give you a full loan if you have done a previous qualification (eg a CertHE). The safest option would be to register on an OU Bachelor's degree, do your 120 credits and then withdraw without any quantification (if they offer you an exit award, decline it). You can still use those credits to get into university.

Get your loan in place and start uni, then once you're there, contact the OU and ask for the certificate. They will be fine about it.
RMP.1990
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey,I’ve had a look at the courses you’ve provided a link for, specifically the “Introduction to computing and information technology 1”. But I can’t find that or anything similar on the UCAS tariff calculator, how would I work out how many points it would get me?
WannabeChemist
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RMP.1990)
Hey,I’ve had a look at the courses you’ve provided a link for, specifically the “Introduction to computing and information technology 1”. But I can’t find that or anything similar on the UCAS tariff calculator, how would I work out how many points it would get me?
Hi RMP.1990, it is worth 0 UCAS points. UCAS points cover Level 3 Qualifications (A Levels, BTECs, IB, and such). What you'd need to do is contact the Unis you are looking to apply to and ask them how much study with the Open Uni would they accept in lieu of A Levels for entry onto the course you want to do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.38%
I don't have everything I need (139)
41.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed