Bays
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I am student going to my final year undergraduate doing biomedical science (biochemistry) and I’m interested in applying for the 2020 NHS STP programme. I hear it’s very competitive and difficult to get into so if anyone that is towards this trainee program or gone through that already could help. I would very much appreciate it. If you could give little advise being on successful and any tips especially on the aptitude tests which ones might it entail and how to prepare for it please.

I’m interested in the clinical biochemistry route. If anyone can help please let me know ✌🏽
Demi.star
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

I'm also in a similar position to you. Although I haven't been through the process of applying yet, I would recommend that you look at the entry requirements on the NHS STP website and make sure you meet them. For example for genomic counseling, you need the equivalent of 6 months full-time experience in a care setting and need to have done a genetics module.
Also, they have recommended this for practicing for the aptitude tests- https://www.trytalentq.com/
Maybe google some numerical and logical tests as well and practice some basic mental maths too.
Good Luck
Bays
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Yeah alright I will do further research on later. I will check the link out. I do have a year’s experience in another area so this might help. I found a blog of graduate student who had no experience and still managed to make it into the STP.

Thank you Demi
danathomas2208
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, I have just graduated from uni and am working currently, im wondering if anyone knows what dates for the 2020 entry application open? My degree is in medical genetics and would be looking at going into genetic counselling, I have a years research experience from during my degree and working in a lab now doing water testing, due to working full time it would be really difficult to get experience in a care setting as has been said in this thread, do you reckon volunteer work in hospice or care settings would be enough? As if I didnt get into this programme, I am thinking of doing my UKAT exam to go to GEM which also requires care setting experienceTbh just looking for advice in general as I have no idea what im doing with my lifeThanks
GeorgiaEliza
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Applications usually open in January and close in February, I believe.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?