is it bad ive done no A level prep yet Watch

lilTrain
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(going into yr12 next year)
ive heard everyone in my class saying how theyre gonna learn and get ahead on A level maths during this summer and how their dads are fkin maths teachers, and we are already half way through and ive done nada. but i blame that on when i opened the revision book and saw a huge formula and questioned why do i wanna do maths, brah. idk i just feel guilty because i sort 0f feel they expect u to have had a look at it during the summer where all ive done about it was gawk at exponentials and logarithms. i havent even found books on the topics we are gonna do in history as well.
idk i probably only care because my brain is going mush from not learning stuff 😤
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
lemonn27
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That’s just bs, use this time to relax u can study when u actually start A levels in sept
Lollipop2001
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
GCSE is nothing like A level most things you learn at GCSE dont directly apply to A levels more transferable skills to be fair, better rest up now because A Levels in general are frickin hard no matter who you are or how much you do in the summer
Last edited by Lollipop2001; 4 weeks ago
Ratchet Hoe
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A level and GCSE content across ALL courses are not even the same (which I don’t know why they do not mention it) so all you can do right now is relax and start the work in September
lilTrain
Rep:
?
oh thanks guys
at least i know while those nerds are studying trigonometry ill be getting a tan in spain 😛
Lollipop2001
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah they’re wasting their time
BrandonS15
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lollipop2001)
Yeah they’re wasting their time
Not really, background knowledge does help alot when it comes to the real thing. I heard A-Level lessons are more faster paced therefore having some understanding prior to your lessons even if you don’t fully understand the concepts helps you keep at the speed without falling behind due to lack of understanding. Also significantly reduces stress later on knowing you have some background knowledge. Also makes independent revision easier since you have time to learn whats the most ideal way for you to study new content yourself.
lilTrain
Rep:
?
(Original post by BrandonS15)
Not really, background knowledge does help alot when it comes to the real thing. I heard A-Level lessons are more faster paced therefore having some understanding prior to your lessons even if you don’t fully understand the concepts helps you keep at the speed without falling behind due to lack of understanding. Also significantly reduces stress later on knowing you have some background knowledge. Also makes independent revision easier since you have time to learn whats the most ideal way for you to study new content yourself.
i think thats more for during A levels, like pre-reading on the topic before the lesson and using free periods to go over what you just learnt to understand it, i doubt now that not getting as much background knowledge as i can in the summer would make me fall behind in A level, but good point
BrandonS15
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lilTrain)
i think thats more for during A levels, like pre-reading on the topic before the lesson and using free periods to go over what you just learnt to understand it, i doubt now that not getting as much background knowledge as i can in the summer would make me fall behind in A level, but good point
I agree with you, but in all honesty I like to spend my spare time effectively. I spend like 30 minute to an hour just going over random topics. Nothing that puts pressure on me at all. I do it at my own will, when and if I feel like it.
Jsh2000uk
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not at all, just finished year 13. Year 12 is basically year 10 2.0. You don't really need to worry about anything, just try to do as well as you can and focus on finding out what it is that you want to do. Whether that be uni or otherwise. Get some work experience, get a job and make some friends.

Regarding A level maths, I had the same reaction at first, however the content is not nearly as hard as you think it is - I had pretty good teachers. After afew months it actually became one of my favourite subjects. Just do practice questions and the Examsolutions YouTube channel whenever you get stuck and you'll be fine.
Arifali4
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Jsh2000uk)
Not at all, just finished year 13. Year 12 is basically year 10 2.0. You don't really need to worry about anything, just try to do as well as you can and focus on finding out what it is that you want to do. Whether that be uni or otherwise. Get some work experience, get a job and make some friends.

Regarding A level maths, I had the same reaction at first, however the content is not nearly as hard as you think it is - I had pretty good teachers. After afew months it actually became one of my favourite subjects. Just do practice questions and the Examsolutions YouTube channel whenever you get stuck and you'll be fine.
I agree with all of the above. 💯
Lollipop2001
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah well you might have heard that but take it from someone who is doing them, background knowledge has nothing to with it as if it’s not on the syllabus then it’s pointless knowledge and not contributing towards your Alevel therefor they would in fact be wasting their time and should save the energy for when they have a huge pile of revision to get through of relevant information, although yes I do agree it is good practice on ways in which you can revise best for yourself however most people already know from GCSE how they revise most effective. A levels are fast pace but you always get taught the basics and you have to fill in the gaps.
Last edited by Lollipop2001; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (70)
14.14%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (76)
15.35%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (94)
18.99%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (196)
39.6%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (26)
5.25%
No particular grades needed (33)
6.67%